Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Staff Chat

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 20, '13, 8:33 am

Religion: None (Atheist)
Default How to prevent my posts showing on search engine?

How to prevent my posts showing on search engine?

Last edited by souldiver; Feb 20, '13 at 8:44 am.
Old Feb 20, '13, 9:32 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: How to prevent my posts showing on search engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souldiver View Post
How to prevent my posts showing on search engine?
There's no way to explicitly command the search engine to NOT search for your posts, but I don't see that this is exactly a big problem; I mean, you only have 48 posts so just scroll down/go to the next page to find other posts.

What is it you are searching for?
Old Feb 20, '13, 9:43 am

Religion: Catholic

You can't. Anything posted on the internet, especially non private forums like this, is public, with some very, very rare exceptions (darknets for example).
Old Feb 20, '13, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Martin View Post
You can't. Anything posted on the internet, especially non private forums like this, is public, with some very, very rare exceptions (darknets for example).
yeah, people need to remember that if it's on the internet it's there forever. i always try to remember that someday my comments may be challenged in a court of law, at one time i tried to be wittier...just in case that happened.
Old Feb 20, '13, 9:58 am
Prayer Warrior

When we post on a thread the topic of the thread may show up on many search engines, which means our replies can be seen even by non-CAF members. Just for the fun of it put the title of your thread in your search engine now, it comes up right away. It can be quite helpful to people for this to happen. I first found out about the forum when I was googling confession topics.
Old Feb 20, '13, 9:58 am
Book Club Member

If you don't want Google to see what you post, then sorry you must simply not post it.

Committed Catholic.
Married Man.
Dad to 2 beautiful miracles.
Discerning a possible call to the Diaconate.
Sometimes I post from my phone. It's hard to spell-check those entries - sorry.
Please pray for me.
Old Feb 20, '13, 10:29 am

Religion: Catholic of course!
Lightbulb Re: How to prevent my posts showing on search engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anruari View Post
If you don't want Google to see what you post, then sorry you must simply not post it.
Exactly...which is why the rules you agree to when you sign up at CAF tell you.

Quote:
CONTENT RULES
  1. Do not paste entire articles from web sites into a post. If you wish to reference an article on the web, link to its web address, instead.
  2. Do not post others’ e-mail addresses or private e-mail sent by them on the public forums.
  3. Do not post material from unapproved private revelations.
  4. Do not post personal phone numbers and addresses.
  5. Do not post anything that can be construed as spam.
  6. Do not post anything that can be construed as a commercial advertisement or contains any form of commercial solicitation.
  7. Do not post anything on this web site that you do not want to remain online permanently.

Forum Rules and guidelines

Ecclesiastes 1:10 Nothing under the sun is new, neither is any man able to say:
Behold this is new: for it hath already gone before in the ages that were before us.

Old Feb 20, '13, 10:37 am

Religion: None (Atheist)

I see. We normally can't do anything about it. . Thanks for clarifying.
Old Feb 20, '13, 10:40 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

This is one of the reasons I strive to keep my anonymity, because then it is not easy for people to track what I say to my identity, because ten years from now I may regret something I said here.
Old Feb 20, '13, 10:49 am

Web sites can use a robots.txt file to express their desire for search engines not to catalog them.

But that would defeat the purpose of Catholic Answers, wouldn't it?
Old Feb 20, '13, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by souldiver View Post
I see. We normally can't do anything about it. . Thanks for clarifying.
OTOH, it can be useful to you if you forget some detail that you might want to recall...so it's not always a bad thing.

I always thought you needed that nexus lexus thing to get all that kind of info, esp because I enjoy volunteering for political candidates, to find out if my guy has said anything stupid and then to try to spin it to make him look good.

Now I see I can just put in their name and lo and behold it shows up.

Nice!
Old Feb 20, '13, 4:45 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

but, if you don't use your real or full name, how is anyone going to know who you really are?
“Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." Matthew 10 vs 32 NASB
Old Feb 20, '13, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillianRose View Post
but, if you don't use your real or full name, how is anyone going to know who you really are?
You would be surprised at what people post. Many small things a user posts collected together can paint a pretty complete picture of who that person is.

Anyone who has access to the computer you are using and can see your browser history (assuming you don't delete it) can find out that some member named "JillianRose" logged in on that computer to CAF. They could then make a guess at who you are.

Also, anyone with access to the router of the network you are on can see all traffic passing through it and which computer is sending the traffic. This could also be a way of determining which computer the user is logging in on, and from there could be used to figure out who you are. This is especially true of univeristy networks, where people have to log on to the university network using their real name/collge ID or some other identifier that ties their activity on the network to their real identity. All of their network activity is logged and tied to their real name, including logins to CAF and any other site.

Another way is for someone else on the network to use a technique known as ARP poisoning. Essentially, the attacker makes his computer look like the router. Your computer sends its traffic through his, which then relays it to the real router, but not before logging it and capturing your traffic. He just sits in between you and the router and captures everything that passes in between. This includes logins and can even allow him to hijack your session and be logged in as you on his computer. This is much less of a threat than, say, a university tracking your posts but it happens. There's even an Android app for it.
Old Feb 21, '13, 7:56 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Martin View Post
You would be surprised at what people post. Many small things a user posts collected together can paint a pretty complete picture of who that person is.

Anyone who has access to the computer you are using and can see your browser history (assuming you don't delete it) can find out that some member named "JillianRose" logged in on that computer to CAF. They could then make a guess at who you are.

Also, anyone with access to the router of the network you are on can see all traffic passing through it and which computer is sending the traffic. This could also be a way of determining which computer the user is logging in on, and from there could be used to figure out who you are. This is especially true of univeristy networks, where people have to log on to the university network using their real name/collge ID or some other identifier that ties their activity on the network to their real identity. All of their network activity is logged and tied to their real name, including logins to CAF and any other site.

Another way is for someone else on the network to use a technique known as ARP poisoning. Essentially, the attacker makes his computer look like the router. Your computer sends its traffic through his, which then relays it to the real router, but not before logging it and capturing your traffic. He just sits in between you and the router and captures everything that passes in between. This includes logins and can even allow him to hijack your session and be logged in as you on his computer. This is much less of a threat than, say, a university tracking your posts but it happens. There's even an Android app for it.
Its a good thing I am a stay at home mom.. LOL I really don't care if people know who I am. Me and my husband even have the same passwords and email. Sometimes, when I am lazy in the morning, I may even use his tooth brush!! LOL I guess I don't care who know I struggle with anxiety. So what? If people got into my computer, they would be utterly board!! LOL
“Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." Matthew 10 vs 32 NASB
Old Feb 21, '13, 10:19 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Evangelical Free Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillianRose View Post
Its a good thing I am a stay at home mom.. LOL I really don't care if people know who I am. Me and my husband even have the same passwords and email. Sometimes, when I am lazy in the morning, I may even use his tooth brush!! LOL I guess I don't care who know I struggle with anxiety. So what? If people got into my computer, they would be utterly board!! LOL
ummmm I love ya jillian but the toothbrush thing? ummmmmm lol

No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father. John 10:18
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Staff Chat