Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 20, '13, 1:35 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Best Roman Missal for traditionalist?

Hello,
I wish to keep more of a traditional practice of my catholic faith, but all of the new Missals are not that traditional. What edition of the Missal would be best for me to purchase? I have heard the St. Andrew's Missal before and then the 1962 edition. I originally was thinking about the 1920 edition with revisions from Pius X and released by Benedict XV. Is this edition essentially the same as the St. Andrews? Also, I cannot extensively read Latin so I'd need one with an English translation as well. All suggestions appreciated! Peace.
Old Feb 20, '13, 1:41 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Best Roman Missal for traditionalist?

In my opinion, the St. Andrew's Missal is the best. It has the English side by side the Latin throughout the missal as well so you will have no problem.
Old Feb 20, '13, 2:04 pm

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic Christian

I'd suggest Baronius Press' Daily Missal 1962. It has English and Latin parallel on every page of the changeable parts and the Mass and it is well made. It has the EF as it is followed by EF parishes in Communion with Rome. It also has some extra stuff besides the Mass. http://www.baroniuspress.com/category.php?wid=59&cid=2
“This is the Faith of the Apostles, this is the Faith of the Fathers, this is the Faith of the Orthodox, this is the Faith which has established the Universe.” - From the First Sunday of Great Lent of the Byzantine Rite
Old Feb 20, '13, 2:42 pm
Book Club Member

I think I have 5 different ones now. Personally I'm not a fan of the St Andrews. My favorite is the Father Lasance New Roman Missal ( Christian Book Club of America, reprint of the 1945) followed by the Angelus Press 1962, but I often just use the 1925 Blessed Be God prayerbook, it only has the Gospel and Epistle readings and lacks the secret and post communion prayers for example but it has a bigger font which is easier for me to read and the additional prayers are printed each week for us to use anyway.
Old Feb 20, '13, 2:53 pm

Looks like this will be published seasonaly.

http://laudamus-te.com
Old Feb 20, '13, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
I think I have 5 different ones now. Personally I'm not a fan of the St Andrews. My favorite is the Father Lasance New Roman Missal ( Christian Book Club of America, reprint of the 1945) followed by the Angelus Press 1962, but I often just use the 1925 Blessed Be God prayerbook, it only has the Gospel and Epistle readings and lacks the secret and post communion prayers for example but it has a bigger font which is easier for me to read and the additional prayers are printed each week for us to use anyway.
I really like Fr Lasance's Blessed Be God prayerbook.
“This is the Faith of the Apostles, this is the Faith of the Fathers, this is the Faith of the Orthodox, this is the Faith which has established the Universe.” - From the First Sunday of Great Lent of the Byzantine Rite
Old Feb 20, '13, 4:20 pm
Trial Membership

Thanks johnnyc, I subscribed to Laudamus Te and look forward to reading it. Thank you to everyone else as well. There's so many to choose from! Is it against the Church to buy the Angelus version because of SSPX (not that I disagree with them but I don't want to do anything against the Holy See). Any comments on the St. Joseph version? I read that it has an easier layout to follow. Also, is it best to buy a 1962 version or pre-1962 and what would be the differences? Thanks again!
Old Feb 20, '13, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocandwp View Post
Thanks johnnyc, I subscribed to Laudamus Te and look forward to reading it. Thank you to everyone else as well. There's so many to choose from! Is it against the Church to buy the Angelus version because of SSPX (not that I disagree with them but I don't want to do anything against the Holy See). Any comments on the St. Joseph version? I read that it has an easier layout to follow. Also, is it best to buy a 1962 version or pre-1962 and what would be the differences? Thanks again!
The content of the Angelus edition is essentially the same as the Baronius edition. The Angelus edition doesn't list the Luminous Mysteries since it is published by the SSPX.
Old Feb 21, '13, 8:16 pm

My favorite missal is the Angelus Press edition. I don't use the Luminous mysteries anyway so its no big deal for me. I just like the feel and quality of it.
Old Feb 22, '13, 4:54 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman-rite Catholic

A 1920 Missale is beautiful because you can see the pre-Holy Week revisions done by Pius XII. Unfortunately Summorum Pontificum only authorized the EF to be celebrate with the 1962 Missale, so unless you get some sort of extraordinary indult, anything pre-1962 couldn't be permissibly celebrated.

God bless.
" ... the systematic exclusion of Latin is an abuse no less to be condemned than the systematic desire of some people to use it exclusively. Its sudden and total disappearance will not be without serious pastoral consequences..." Ratio fundamentatlis, 1980
Old Feb 22, '13, 8:19 am

For those of us who understand Latin, I suggest a Travel Size 1962 Missale Romanum. There can be no better option than the original!
Old Feb 22, '13, 12:50 pm

I use the Baronius Press version. My only complaint is that there is no indication of where the 2nd/3rd Confiteor goes, and I'm still learning how to "actively participate" in the EF. Other than that, it's excellent.

Edit: If I recall, it's just before the "Ecce Agnus Dei", right?
Old Feb 22, '13, 12:59 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey1976 View Post
I use the Baronius Press version. My only complaint is that there is no indication of where the 2nd/3rd Confiteor goes, and I'm still learning how to "actively participate" in the EF. Other than that, it's excellent.

Edit: If I recall, it's just before the "Ecce Agnus Dei", right?
That is correct. If it's said, it's said by the servers commencing with the drinking of the Blood, though technically it's not part of the 62 missal.
Old Feb 22, '13, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey1976 View Post
I'm still learning how to "actively participate" in the EF.
You know one can actively participate in Holy Mass simply by being present.
Old Feb 22, '13, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
That is correct. If it's said, it's said by the servers commencing with the drinking of the Blood, though technically it's not part of the 62 missal.
My missals don't include it in the ordinary of the mass, but you can find it elsewhere in the missal when you look up the liturgy for receiving Holy Communion outside of Mass.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism