Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 19, '13, 5:30 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: 'More than able to hold her own,' girl gets boot from Catholic football league

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianna View Post
If the "males" are bright enough to know and are "minors" and mommy and daddy sign off on it, what's the difference?

Abortion is not part of this thread....geez louise
-Your post I was responding to makes no mention of parents. Your contention was that if the minor female player "knows" the possible ill effects of playing and still wants to play she should be able to.

-Please show me where my comment either stated or implied that a minor male player does or can "know" said ill effects.

-No abortion does not play a role in this conversation, however being that I created a list of items that a minor is held by society and the law not to have the ability to "know" and that abortion is the one of the items that is the exception to this (ABCs being the other) I needed to mention it being an exception.
Old Feb 19, '13, 6:36 am

Default Re: 'More than able to hold her own,' girl gets boot from Catholic football league

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker1961 View Post
When you see two boys wrestling, do you think about it as being sexual? Of course not, it's a SPORT.
Oh, my. I wrestled and no, I didn't find it sexual. I don't find it sexually arousing to grab an opponent in such a way that my hand ended up in his crotch area. I will tell you with 100% certainty, if I put my and on a girls crotch, I would have found that arousing. ESPECIALLY when I was a teen and the hormones were flowing at a high rate.

I'm sure you would be glad to have your teen daughter put into some of the following positions with a teenaged boy.

This isn't about equality. It is about modesty and morality and maybe we should be teaching our boys that there are things you don't do to girls and teaching our girls that there are things you don't let boys do to you.

Peace

Tim
Old Feb 19, '13, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix View Post
Exactly. Any difference is deemed inequality. We must be the same in every way or it is unjust. Equality is the god we strive for. Anything less is immoral and oppressive.
I am a man who can't get pregnant. Who do I sue?
Old Feb 19, '13, 7:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl1958 View Post
I don't have a problem with there existing institutions, such as football, where boys are allowed to congregate and be boys on their own. without girls being a part of it.

It is not that there are no girls that are capable of playing football. The masculine bonding that takes place in football, and the development of masculine values that can take place in such gender-specific traditions such as football are something that are good in developing a boy's character.
There is absolutely no reason that girls need to be into everything that boys are into. There are precious few places left where boys can congregate together as boys, just on their own. Football is one of those few places left that can still pass as a boys club.

Women have proven to the world in the last few generations that there is nothing that they cannot do. They can run the world, for sure. There is not shortage of boys too, shacked up in their basements with their video games and their beer, who are not willing to let women do just that, if that is what they want.
Football is one of those sports that affirms a boys masculinity and encourages boys to be aggressive in socially acceptable ways. It encourages men to be men, and teaches them the values that will get them out of those basements and into positions of leadership, where they will take charge and be encouraged to do just that.

Women lack for nothing in our societies.
Except for menó which is to say those males of the species that are capable of being responsible for them and their families.

But men are not born that way. They are made that way.

Football and other such boys clubs where testosterone and masculinity are encouraged are what make boys into men.

Catholic schools are still aware of this.
I agree leave the boys alone or form a girls team.
Old Feb 19, '13, 7:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudbynight View Post
I am a man who can't get pregnant. Who do I sue?
You are oppressor and unenlightened.
Old Feb 19, '13, 8:53 am

Danica Patrick wins pole for NASCAR's Daytona 500.

Go Danica!

Adoption is the loving choice
praying for those waiting to adopt

http://www.christianadopt.org/
Old Feb 19, '13, 9:50 am

Religion: Catholic Since 4/3/10

The Diocese is right in this case. The girl is 11, and the boys she would be playing against are right on the cusp of puberty. A few will begin to enter it during the season. Once that happens, she is in a great deal of jeopardy from the vastly increased physical violence.

The dad is a numbskull. He should look out for his daughter's best interests and pull her from the team. It's cute and fun when they are pre-pubescent. It is downright dangerous once they hit puberty. The gains in speed, strength, size, and violence level for the boys will increase dramatically very soon. It's probably already started some, and to be honest, the boys have probably been unconscously taking it a little easy on her already.
Old Feb 19, '13, 10:03 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Don't take this as a shameless plug, but has anybody here on CAF seen the movie Gracie?
Old Feb 19, '13, 12:20 pm

Didn't see the movie, but it's soccer. Some contact yes, but nothing like getting plowed by a 200 + lb linebacker. Unless of course she wants to be a place kicker... I haven't read the whole thread. Even a kicker can take a hit every now and then.

Patriarch and Matriarch

"How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many donuts."
-Homer Simpson
Old Feb 19, '13, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orogeny View Post
Oh, my. I wrestled and no, I didn't find it sexual. I don't find it sexually arousing to grab an opponent in such a way that my hand ended up in his crotch area. I will tell you with 100% certainty, if I put my and on a girls crotch, I would have found that arousing. ESPECIALLY when I was a teen and the hormones were flowing at a high rate.

I'm sure you would be glad to have your teen daughter put into some of the following positions with a teenaged boy.

This isn't about equality. It is about modesty and morality and maybe we should be teaching our boys that there are things you don't do to girls and teaching our girls that there are things you don't let boys do to you.

Peace

Tim
It is amazing the your common sense is not apparent to all. I will repeat, our society has gone mad.
Old Feb 20, '13, 2:52 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: off-the-record "discerning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojo View Post
I have a friend who's daughter plays on the HS wrestling team with boys. She beats the you know what out of most of them. She placed 2nd place in stateside regionals behind a young man who beat her by a point.

I'd say wrestling is about as much contact sport as you can get. Believe me, none of the men are "turned on" by her contact when she's done. They look forward to a lot of ice and pain killers. She graduates this year and hopes to get admitted into the Navy where one of her brothers already serves. She's in better shape and stronger than many of her male peers.

I've seen fat firefighters who had no chance in h*ll of carrying me down a ladder without a stroke. And I know a police cadet who is 118 lbs and can drag a 400 lb weight 200 feet and beat out the men in her class (lifelong dream, she's been training since junior high). Time to be pragmatic.
Old Feb 20, '13, 3:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix View Post
Silly feminism. Pure and simple.

LOL!!!!!!

In this day and age, are you against equal opportunity?

Does that mean you don't let your daughters, if you have any, play sports?

If so, I feel really, really, really sad for them.

I suppose we should not let men be chefs because cooking is for women.
Or fashion designers, because sewing is for women.
Or caretakers because cleaning is for women.

Men who want to do those things are following "silly masculinism" and they should not be allowed.
Pure and simple.

Old Feb 20, '13, 3:05 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcatholicguy View Post
Please cite some studies (especially ones focused on players just starting puberty) that have been done on mixed gender sports that indicate that a female student is not at increased risk of being injured or having negative health issues when playing on a mixed gender team for a football team or for a team in a similar sport. The cry of "they're just being sexist" isn't very effective without support proving they are just being sexist.

So sorry...but did the article say that the girl is at increased risk?
I don't think so. It said she excelled. It implied she was better at the sport than many of her male teammates.

Please site some studies that say girls in mixed gender sports are at an increased risk of being injured or having negative health issues.

What kind of negative health issues are you suggesting they will get that others will not? All may get bloody noses or broken bones. That's the nature of many sports.
Old Feb 20, '13, 5:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
LOL!!!!!!

In this day and age, are you against equal opportunity?

Does that mean you don't let your daughters, if you have any, play sports?

If so, I feel really, really, really sad for them.

I suppose we should not let men be chefs because cooking is for women.
Or fashion designers, because sewing is for women.
Or caretakers because cleaning is for women.

Men who want to do those things are following "silly masculinism" and they should not be allowed.
Pure and simple.

Yes male and female are exactly the same. Yes football is equal to being a chef. Yes female sports teams are unfair. Yes not having a girl on a male football team is lacking equal opportunity. Yes there is no common sense among those who worship sameness as equality.
Old Feb 20, '13, 5:58 pm
Banned

I played football freshman year in high school. Wrestled one year in junior year. Decided to just work a job my senior year.

In my mid 30s I started amateur boxing training.

Cardiovascular wise and as far as hard training goes... wrestling and boxing by far beat football. Like I said in the past in a different thread. Anyone that wrestles on a high school team should have no problem with the physical part of Marine Corps boot camp.

But arguably the most dangerous of the 3 sports is football. And I'm not talking about playing football outside with your friend, with no pads on. That is rugby style and I did that all throughout my youth. You pull kids down. Not to bad.

Football is a car crash. Sorry, it is. Unless you're just a kicker maybe.

One of the worst pains I've ever felt in my life was being sandwiched during practice. I was a running back and less than 90 lbs. Smallest kid on the team. I think my jersey was too big for me (I was short ). I could not get up off the ground. I laid supine LOL! with the coach eventually standing over me asking if I was okay and still able to play. I responded yes. I still laid and could not get up. He realized quickly I was just saying a response he wanted to hear and didn't want to show weakness but was too hurt. So, he called someone else out in my place.

Wrestling can be tough at times in high school (though college wrestling is at another level). When someone is taking their wrist area across the bridge of your nose. But it's not a car crash or getting your head punched in. Though, I can just imagine a wrestling coach telling some kid on the mat, "Ride her legs," And the teenage boy looking up perplexed, "You mean her...?"

Little kids playing football really is not "football." That there are women or men that think it is is rather revealing about their own experience in violence. It's like someone thinking the Karate Kid (I'm a fan of the movie too) with the famous Crane pose and kick is how violence is carried out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgD8SfWTQ2o So, one says to themselves... "A girl can do that to!" Yes she can.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News