Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '13, 7:25 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Twyla DeVito, Ohio Bartender, Fired For Calling Cops On Drunk-Driving Customer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...p_ref=business

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/23...-drunk-driver/

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...ind-wheel.html

I would hope that this thread there will be more unity from everyone that what this employer did was wrong.

The 3rd link has an audio recording where the boss admits as such.

The fired bartender isn't suing but if she did I would support her although since there is no legal requirement in Ohio to report drunk drivers even from bartenders she may not win.
Old Feb 24, '13, 7:43 am

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005
Default Re: Twyla DeVito, Ohio Bartender, Fired For Calling Cops On Drunk-Driving Customer

Good on Twila, and shame! shame! shame! on her employer!!! GRRRR!
Old Feb 24, '13, 8:49 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Twyla DeVito, Ohio Bartender, Fired For Calling Cops On Drunk-Driving Customer

Shelby, Ohio is a town of about 9000 people. In addition to the American Legion post, which fired the bartender, there are three other businesses which advertise as being either a bar or a pub.

I suppose the American Legion post might be under some economic pressure, which may have led to the firing. After all, they don't want to lose the customers they have.

The third news article mentioned that the drunk man was also an officer of the American Legion post. I am not sure if that played any role in the decision.

But the decision to fire the bartender is inexcusable, and I hope the American Legion feels the pressure of public opinion. There are already a couple bad reviews, based on the incident, posted at Google Maps.
Old Feb 24, '13, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post

The third news article mentioned that the drunk man was also an officer of the American Legion post. I am not sure if that played any role in the decision.
That would explain it. Politics in nonprofits can be brutal.
Old Feb 24, '13, 10:38 am

I'm not understanding the bar's objection... AT ALL.

I go out to a bar here and there... maybe once a month. If they call the police to tell them they think I'm about to be driving drunk, then GOOD FOR THEM. Because 1) I wouldn't do that anyway, and 2) If I did, then society needs to be protected from me!

It would most certainly NOT scare me away from going to a bar that did this, as the owners and some people in the comments section claim.
Old Feb 24, '13, 11:21 am

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
*snip*

*snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkcat_14 View Post
That would explain it. Politics in nonprofits can be brutal.
Yep. As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now we know the rest of the story."

If I were the police chief in that town, I'd station officers down the road from the AL post and breathalyze every driver that comes out of the parking lot. But that's just the way I am, when it comes to impaired driving.
Old Feb 24, '13, 2:05 pm
Book Club Member

Surely this is not the first patron that shouldn't have been driving, so they must have a policy of how to handle it. Most of the places I know of will call people a cab or urge them to call someone for a ride and will only call the police if the person is belligerent and insists on driving. Nothing in the articles state the bartender tried any of those, nor that the patron was belligerent.

The articles are all one side of the story and lack any information other than, poor me I got fired.

Quote:
She said that when he went to leave, she knew he was not in a state to drive.

“I called the police and said, ‘We have a very drunk person leaving the bar. He is going to kill someone or himself,’” the former bartender said.
I wonder how long she worked there and how well liked she is locally. Because having lived in a small town, people generally have your back, unless you are not liked.
Old Feb 24, '13, 2:55 pm
Forum Elder

Who served this guy all those drinks? Was it Ms. DeVito? If so, why did she only notice he was getting drunk when he started to leave?

There might have been more to the story, but it seems to me there's nothing wrong with reporting a drunk driver. A person should. But since this was in a club sort of setting anyway, I wonder why she didn't try to get the guy a ride home, and I really do wonder why she didn't notice he was getting hammered quite a while before he left.

Does this post have a "serve until they drop" policy? Maybe there's nothing more to know about this story, but one suspects there is.
Old Feb 24, '13, 3:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Who served this guy all those drinks? Was it Ms. DeVito? If so, why did she only notice he was getting drunk when he started to leave?

There might have been more to the story, but it seems to me there's nothing wrong with reporting a drunk driver. A person should. But since this was in a club sort of setting anyway, I wonder why she didn't try to get the guy a ride home, and I really do wonder why she didn't notice he was getting hammered quite a while before he left.

Does this post have a "serve until they drop" policy? Maybe there's nothing more to know about this story, but one suspects there is.
According to the Fox News story Ms. DeVito arrived when he was already drunk and when he left is when she called the Police.
Old Feb 24, '13, 4:16 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJSHJ View Post
According to the Fox News story Ms. DeVito arrived when he was already drunk and when he left is when she called the Police.
And yet she admits in one article that she still served him.

Quote:
“I came into work, he was already there, pretty much hammered,” DeVito said.

DeVito said that the man was a regular at the bar and also served as an officer at the Legion Post.

“He ordered a beer, I gave it to him, and then I started to try to slow it down, serving him,” DeVito said.
Old Feb 24, '13, 7:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
Surely this is not the first patron that shouldn't have been driving, so they must have a policy of how to handle it. Most of the places I know of will call people a cab or urge them to call someone for a ride and will only call the police if the person is belligerent and insists on driving. Nothing in the articles state the bartender tried any of those, nor that the patron was belligerent.

The articles are all one side of the story and lack any information other than, poor me I got fired.

I wonder how long she worked there and how well liked she is locally. Because having lived in a small town, people generally have your back, unless you are not liked.
Judging from what the owner has done I would say that the policy is to not report it to the police as otherwise she wouldn't have gotten fired. As for the story its really irrelevant if the patron was belligerent or not as driving under the influence is not affected if you are happy or sad.

The 3rd link has an audio from the owner which has his side.

Quote:
And yet she admits in one article that she still served him.
That article which you didn't link also said

Quote:
The Legion Post Commander won't comment on camera. Mic Hubbard says even though what Devito did was right, the decision will hurt his business.
http://www.wdrb.com/story/21320533/ohio-bartender-fired
Old Feb 24, '13, 8:28 pm
Radio Club Member

Hmm . . .

Dunno about other states but it is against the law here NY for a bartender to serve a patron who is obviously drunk & the bar can lose its license for repeated infractions.

I can understand the owner's concern (esp is the offending patron is a cop) but the bartender did the right thing.

Quote:
Every damn fool thing you do in this life, you pay for.
-- Edith Piaf, last words
Old Feb 24, '13, 9:27 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJSHJ View Post
Judging from what the owner has done I would say that the policy is to not report it to the police as otherwise she wouldn't have gotten fired. As for the story its really irrelevant if the patron was belligerent or not as driving under the influence is not affected if you are happy or sad.

The 3rd link has an audio from the owner which has his side.

That article which you didn't link also said

Are you being deliberately obtuse? The belligerent comment was in reference to someone refusing to call a ride or take a cab instead of driving. Which she made no attempt to do for the patron from her own statements. Since she said he was drunk when she got to work, she never should have served him. That in and of itself warrants firing her. If he was drunk enough that she felt she had to call police because he was going to drive, why did she serve him? ABC rules are pretty strict, not sure about Ohio but where I've lived it's illegal to serve someone that is clearly intoxicated and you can lose your bartenders license if you do and the bar itself can be cited for violations.
Old Feb 25, '13, 3:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post

I can understand the owner's concern (esp is the offending patron is a cop) but the bartender did the right thing.
The one thing that is beyond dispute, is that calling the cops was in no way wrong. Now, one can argue whether she should have served him the last beer. And the other bartenders who served him before she got there also seem to share some liability.

The commander of the post should get sued in my opinion though. Anyone one who pressures bartenders into not calling cops has no business running a bar. Of course, the commander knows he said the wrong thing because he is now refusing to talk.

Of course this is one reason why being a bartender is one job I never want. You can get yourself into some catch-22 situations rather easily.
Old Feb 25, '13, 4:36 am
Banned

Quote:
Are you being deliberately obtuse? The belligerent comment was in reference to someone refusing to call a ride or take a cab instead of driving. Which she made no attempt to do for the patron from her own statements. Since she said he was drunk when she got to work, she never should have served him. That in and of itself warrants firing her. If he was drunk enough that she felt she had to call police because he was going to drive, why did she serve him? ABC rules are pretty strict, not sure about Ohio but where I've lived it's illegal to serve someone that is clearly intoxicated and you can lose your bartenders license if you do and the bar itself can be cited for violations.
No I am not being obtuse. I am not from Ohio so I don't know what the regulations are but the one person who knows more about legal requirements would be the sheriff.

Quote:
Shelby Police Chief Charlie Roub says the patron's blood alcohol level was just over twice the legal limit.

He's not happy Devito was punished for trying to save his life.

"I'm not very pleased by that. I mean here we have someone that's trying to do something right and ends up getting punished for it," said Roub.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News