Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 19, '12, 4:08 am

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: Who sang the Exsultet at your Easter Vigil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Yes, although I must say that I couldn't understand much of what the woman was singing in English and I'm pretty familiar with the text.
Okay thanks.

He makes it sound simple here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Loaves View Post
Beautifully chanted here by Fr. Tim Hepburn, from the Archdiocese of Atlanta.
She makes it sound difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUDKIkgWkU"] The woman that is hard to understand, makes it sound difficult.[/url]
I have to admit, I wasn't that impressed by the music because it sounds very similar to what I always hear at mass. Of course the words are beautiful.

I guess it would make more of an impression if one is not used to hearing Gregorian Chant?

Personal Development for Entrepreneurs

OldTimeCatholic.com

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jan 19, '12, 7:33 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Okay thanks.

He makes it sound simple here.

She makes it sound difficult.

I have to admit, I wasn't that impressed by the music because it sounds very similar to what I always hear at mass. Of course the words are beautiful.

I guess it would make more of an impression if one is not used to hearing Gregorian Chant?
I'm no expert in music but I think it's what's known as plainchant and is what is found in the Roman Missal. It's far removed from what I usually hear at Mass.
Old Jan 20, '12, 9:51 am

Quote:
I think when you are not used to hearing chant, it would make more of an "impression" as you rightly observed - sometimes a bad impression and sometimes a good one. We don't do a lot of chant at one of the parishes where I work and the congregation really likes the chanted exultet. It sort of reminds me when we had the Latin mass parts sung in the very simple chants for our wedding. Those of our guests who were not used to it were in awe, but I think if you hear it and sing it all the time (like my husband and I) you almost take it for granted.

The female's recording was not good, I think because of the distortion, so you really couldn't tell the true quality and could understand hardly a word. In the male's recording, his chanting was better than what you'd hear at some churches, especially parishes which don't do a lot of chanting AND you can understand the words (which is very important), but I've heard it chanted more beautifully and with more legato.
Old Feb 24, '13, 8:23 pm

Question Re: Who sang the Exsultet at your Easter Vigil?

Despite many years of continued efforts to draw attention and to help reveal that a cantor should not sing the entire exultet and should omit that which has been designated to be sung by an ordained minister (deacon or priest) only, (as the written instructions noted on every printed score used for the last several decades " has implied") I am again disappointed to learn that even with the new liturgy and new music the choir will continue to have a cantor sing even that which I understand has been and continues to be reserved for an ordained minister. There has not even been a need for me to reiterate; the cantor acknowledging my historical objection and noting the pastor has said it does not really matter as neither he nor the participating deacon wish to sing. Please suggest the simplest and best conversion tool or resource we might employ to take advantage of this evangelical opportunity. Surely something like this has been noted or even discussed before. . .

Information Please. Suggestions appreciated as well. THX!

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has never been able to overpower it.
Old Feb 25, '13, 4:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloysiusBologna View Post
Despite many years of continued efforts to draw attention and to help reveal that a cantor should not sing the entire exultet and should omit that which has been designated to be sung by an ordained minister (deacon or priest) only, (as the written instructions noted on every printed score used for the last several decades " has implied") I am again disappointed to learn that even with the new liturgy and new music the choir will continue to have a cantor sing even that which I understand has been and continues to be reserved for an ordained minister. There has not even been a need for me to reiterate; the cantor acknowledging my historical objection and noting the pastor has said it does not really matter as neither he nor the participating deacon wish to sing. Please suggest the simplest and best conversion tool or resource we might employ to take advantage of this evangelical opportunity. Surely something like this has been noted or even discussed before. . .

Information Please. Suggestions appreciated as well. THX!

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has never been able to overpower it.
Have you discussed this with the pastor, himself? What I've usually seen if a priest or deacon does not sing it, the exsultet is cut to only what the cantor can sing. That's what we do at the parishes where I work, since the priests and deacon don't want to "subject" (as they put it) everyone to their singing voices for a long period of time. lol!

If you have personally spoken to him with your concerns and he still disagrees, there really isn't much else you can do, but comply with his wishes. He is ultimately the "boss" even if you and others do not agree with him and are in the right on this. In regards to resources you can use, I really don't know where you can go directly. If someone does provide a citation, be aware that may not even sway someone to agree with you, especially if you don't approach the subject carefully. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments