Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 24, '13, 7:36 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: So I have some tarot cards....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchezik View Post
What a dilemma! But think for a minute. Would you sell a butcher knife that could used in a Satanic ritual? What about your old car that could be used in a suicide bombing? What about your pig that might get loose, brush against a Muslim and send them to hell?

If you could do any of the above with a clear conscience, I would say selling the Tarot cards is ok. Er...How much are you asking? I could use some Tarot cards.
I understand your an atheist so such would not be a question you might consider asking but it is a serious question. And such examples are examples where a person does not know that the knife etc is going to be used for such. One is just selling a knife. But one can reasonably say that most tarot cards bought and sold will be used in the occult manner. And thus it is very different from such. More like putting a nuke up for sale on a "terrorist-ebay".

Last edited by Bookcat; Oct 24, '13 at 7:51 am.
Old Oct 24, '13, 7:36 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
Note - even if such is the case-- these are "collected cards" which may also have been "used cards" (usually when one collects things such involves obtaining unique and often used items) and as such one can reasonably caution regarding their retention due to their use for such occult purposes. Exorcists might urge them being sprinked with holy water and then burned -due to their experience.

Certainly I would caution against selling them -- for their use today is occult. 99.56%

(where as the use of handguns in the US is not mostly murdering people.....)
Good point about "used cards."

Yes, I would not recommend selling them either. But I had the feeling the OP's primary purpose was comparing "cardstock with pictures" to "weapons of death" rather than actually soliciting advice over what to do with the cards. Maybe I read the OP wrong.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Oct 24, '13, 7:43 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
Good point about "used cards."

Yes, I would not recommend selling them either. But I had the feeling the OP's primary purpose was comparing "cardstock with pictures" to "weapons of death" rather than actually soliciting advice over what to do with the cards. Maybe I read the OP wrong.
I think the point is that we know that the use of such for the occult is both sinful and also can dangerous in further ways -at least from the temptation to continue further on into the occult and more dangerous things.

PS: "Card stock" with a picture of Jesus etc and the blessing of a Priest -- is rather unpleasant to demons....
Old Oct 24, '13, 8:07 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
I think the point is that we know that the use of such for the occult is both sinful and also can dangerous in further ways -at least from the temptation to continue further on into the occult and more dangerous things.

PS: "Card stock" with a picture of Jesus etc and the blessing of a Priest -- is rather unpleasant to demons....
Right.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to trivialize it. I was just articulating the point I thought the OP was trying to make.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Oct 24, '13, 8:08 am

If you truly want to sell them as works of art then break the sets up. Only sell one suit to a given person and refuse to sell any of the other suits from that deck to the same person. Perhaps you would sell the major arcana cards as individual portrait cards, but never the full suit together. Yes it reduces the value, but if they are truly works of art some would collect them purely on that merit.

To use your analogy it would be like selling firearms that have the firing pin removed. Sure someone might be able to reassemble them for a less worthy purpose, but at least you have tried removing something to make it "safe".

NOTE: before any one jumps on me about guns being safe, I realize that they can be. I am more talking about moral equivence of selling something potentially dangerous.
Old Oct 24, '13, 8:16 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usige View Post
If you truly want to sell them as works of art then break the sets up. Only sell one suit to a given person and refuse to sell any of the other suits from that deck to the same person. Perhaps you would sell the major arcana cards as individual portrait cards, but never the full suit together. Yes it reduces the value, but if they are truly works of art some would collect them purely on that merit.

To use your analogy it would be like selling firearms that have the firing pin removed. Sure someone might be able to reassemble them for a less worthy purpose, but at least you have tried removing something to make it "safe".
Unfortunately such is basically now in the arena of the "occult" -that is how most view or use them (99.56%). So even as "art" such would still bear such connotations.

(in addition to my posts above).
Old Oct 24, '13, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey Claire View Post
I was unaware that this is the Church's teaching. That's mighty strict! But since that is the accepted belief on this forum I will try to bear that in mind if a question like this comes up again. However, I stand by my original advice.
You were unaware that the Church forbids collusion with demons? And you think that is strict?

A handgun can end a life. A sin can damn someone to hell for all eternity. Yet you seem to think that the important part is the life, not the destination of the person for eternity. Look at things from the bigger more spiritual picture and things might be put in a different light for you.

A handgun can save a life. Tarot can only bring destruction.
Old Oct 24, '13, 8:30 am

Many years ago, a student from France came to my university, and soon joined our card-playing group...we usually played bridge, and sometimes pinochle while waiting for a 'fourth'...he was invited to a weekend session at a grad student's apartment, and he arrived with snacks, beer, and a deck of tarot cards...he showed us a game that was somewhere in between bridge and pinochle in complexity, and we played his tarot-card game all night...and none of us sprouted horns....
Old Oct 24, '13, 8:40 am

Religion: RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey Claire View Post
But people are killed, really killed, by handguns. Let's not compare them.
Guns don't kill people.

People kill people.

(low hanging fruit, I know, it's almost Friday and it's been a long week)

With regard to the subject of selling cards that could or could not be used for something bad, if forecasting the consumers use of a product is in your control, aren't you doing what some think Tarot cards do? (forecast)

You could also take a sharpie to the back of the cards and write ART down the card. A witch might find that a problem if desire was to use them for current day uses.

How about sell them and use some of the funds to give to Church or do something good for someone.
Old Oct 24, '13, 8:50 am

It actually does not matter but how much money are we talking about here?
Old Oct 24, '13, 8:54 am

I just looked up an ad on craigslist.
Quote:
I have 4 tarot card decks id like to sell. 3 of the decks im asking $5 each and one that is by Aleister Crowley deck im asking $10 for. If interested
we are not talking big money here. Especially for something that could spiritually damage others. If we are truly Catholic then we must recognize possession and demonic activity as real.

It. Is . Not. Worth. It.

destroy them.
Old Oct 24, '13, 9:08 am

Religion: RC

Taking the above Craigslist info to heart, are we talking about a few decks or a pallet load?

If a few decks, I agree, probably not worth the trouble to try and sell.

That asking price of $25 for 4 decks will end up settling around 60-70% of asking.

That's not worth the time.

Enjoy a warm fire instead.
Old Oct 24, '13, 9:38 am
Forum Elder

Let's keep it brief. The primary use of tarot cards is for divination. We should not be using anything for divination. Such things should not be resold. They are a danger to the spiritual well-being of a person.

Peace,
Ed
Old Oct 24, '13, 11:15 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
Let's keep it brief. The primary use of tarot cards is for divination. We should not be using anything for divination. Such things should not be resold. They are a danger to the spiritual well-being of a person.

Peace,
Ed
Old Oct 24, '13, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldlygo View Post
Many years ago, a student from France came to my university, and soon joined our card-playing group...we usually played bridge, and sometimes pinochle while waiting for a 'fourth'...he was invited to a weekend session at a grad student's apartment, and he arrived with snacks, beer, and a deck of tarot cards...he showed us a game that was somewhere in between bridge and pinochle in complexity, and we played his tarot-card game all night...and none of us sprouted horns....
Tarot cards, as I found out when I was in the French Exchange program in my high school many years ago, were originally not used for the occult. Occult use began no earlier than the 18th century. They were originally used just to play a card game called Tarot, which was played in Europe possibly as early as the 1300's. The French refer to it, quite plainly, as Jeu de Tarot (Game of Tarot). That's what you played, and it's still hugely popular in France today. In some other European countries, such as Germany, Austria, and Italy, you can find people familiar with a variety of card games based on Tarot. Tarot never caught on in England, which is probably why we aren't familiar with it as a game.

My partner in French Exchange taught me the game when I was in France. I asked him if anyone used the same deck of cards to tell fortunes as well as play the game, and he looked at me like I'd grown a second head. All he said was, "These are for playing Jeu de Tarot."

So although in the English-speaking world Tarot cards tend to be immediately associated with the occult, that's not necessarily true everywhere.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology