Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 29, '13, 9:57 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default discalced carmelite

Good day friends, I just wanna ask what is the difference between the carmelites who wear white veils and black veils? And are they monks too?
Old Oct 29, '13, 11:43 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Greek Orthodox, but converting to Roman Catholicism
Default Re: discalced carmelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceforhonks View Post
Good day friends, I just wanna ask what is the difference between the carmelites who wear white veils and black veils? And are they monks too?
First off, Discalced Carmelites who wear veils are, from my discernment/understanding, nuns, not monks. The difference between the two is the white one means she is either in the Novitiate, or she is a First Professed, also sometimes called Temporarily Professed, nun. She will only receive the black veil if she makes the final, or solemn vows of living the rest of her life in Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience.
"... as waters flow from the mountains down into the valleys, so, too, do God's graces flow only into humble souls." -Saint Faustina
Old Oct 30, '13, 11:54 am
Prayer Warrior

Just thought I'd add a point of reference. There is no such thing as a Carmelite monk. The Carmelite order, as far as the men are concerned, have never been cloistered. (Which is why the monastery in Wyoming is not a formal part of the Carmelite order.)
Old Oct 30, '13, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvanceAlways View Post
Just thought I'd add a point of reference. There is no such thing as a Carmelite monk. The Carmelite order, as far as the men are concerned, have never been cloistered. (Which is why the monastery in Wyoming is not a formal part of the Carmelite order.)
thanks for answering i always thought that those people who are not allowed to go outside and who stays inside the monastery are monks. Now what's the difference between monks and contemplatives? (Sorry for asking too much i just wanted to know more)
Old Oct 30, '13, 8:36 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I would reccommend you go directly to their website if you want correct information.

http://www.carmelites.net/vocations/the-carmelite-life/
Old Oct 31, '13, 4:18 pm

Religion: Catholic/ocds

HI I am new to this forum. I happen to be a Descalced Carmelite Secular and wanted to know if anyone who are or who might think of becoming a Descalced Carmelite start a discussion about our spirituality to help us grow ever stronger in our Catholic faith as wellas in the journey in seeking God through Carml spirituality. Any thoughs about this? Thanks.
Old Oct 31, '13, 10:33 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceforhonks View Post
thanks for answering i always thought that those people who are not allowed to go outside and who stays inside the monastery are monks. Now what's the difference between monks and contemplatives? (Sorry for asking too much i just wanted to know more)
No worries for asking, that's what CAF's here for! Most monks are contemplatives.

Friars can be referred to as semi-contemplative. Take male Carmelites. They have an active component to their ministry as while as a contemplative portion.

Groups like Trappists are contemplative. Benedictines are contemplative (although some monasteries might function more like semi-contemplatives.)
Old Nov 1, '13, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spina1953 View Post
HI I am new to this forum. I happen to be a Descalced Carmelite Secular and wanted to know if anyone who are or who might think of becoming a Descalced Carmelite start a discussion about our spirituality to help us grow ever stronger in our Catholic faith as wellas in the journey in seeking God through Carml spirituality. Any thoughs about this? Thanks.
I'm planning of becoming a carmelite someday but i'm still not sure whether God is really calling me for this. I'am a bit confused actually.
Old Nov 2, '13, 9:38 am

Religion: Catholic/ocds

To Peaceforhonks: your poat #8, I think you will want to pray for discernment it does take some time to decide if God is really calling you to be a Carmelite, though I think you are praying to God it see if that is God's will for you. I would like to suggest that if you can to talk to any Carmelite priests if you know any. if you do not know any in your area you might look them up on-line- www.ocd.pen.net or www.OCD4OCDS blogspot.com or www.ocds.info. I hope this helps you. May God bless you always. I will try to help you as needed ifyou like in better understanding what is Carmel spirituality and what it means to be a Carmelite. There is plenty of info out tere as you most likely already know so keep learning.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism