Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 11, '14, 12:45 am

Religion: Catholic - revert in 1993
Default 100,000 Homes: Housing the homeless saves money?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/100000-h...s-saves-money/

The following is a script from "100,000 Homes" which aired on Feb. 9, 2014. Anderson Cooper is the correspondent. Andy Court, producer.

Giving apartments to homeless people who've been on the streets for years before they've received treatment for drug or alcohol problems or mental illness may not sound like a wise idea. But that's what's being done in cities across America in an approach that targets those who've been homeless the longest and are believed to be at greatest risk of dying, especially with all of this cold weather.

They're people who once might have been viewed as unreachable. But cities and counties affiliated with a movement known as the 100,000 Homes Campaign have so far managed to get 80,000 of them off the streets. Local governments and non-profit groups do most of the work. The money comes mostly from existing federal programs and private donations, and there's evidence that this approach saves taxpayers money.
Notice that the motive here is money saved, and not something of higher value, such as LOVE!

Mark 12:30
ĎAnd you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
Old Feb 11, '14, 3:19 am
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: 100,000 Homes: Housing the homeless saves money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sock View Post

The following is a script from "100,000 Homes" which aired on Feb. 9, 2014. Anderson Cooper is the correspondent. Andy Court, producer.

Giving apartments to homeless people who've been on the streets for years before they've received treatment for drug or alcohol problems or mental illness may not sound like a wise idea. But that's what's being done in cities across America in an approach that targets those who've been homeless the longest and are believed to be at greatest risk of dying, especially with all of this cold weather.

They're people who once might have been viewed as unreachable. But cities and counties affiliated with a movement known as the 100,000 Homes Campaign have so far managed to get 80,000 of them off the streets. Local governments and non-profit groups do most of the work. The money comes mostly from existing federal programs and private donations, and there's evidence that this approach saves taxpayers money.
Notice that the motive here is money saved, and not something of higher value, such as LOVE!
Hey, as long as it gets done!!!!!!!

ICXC NIKA.
Old Feb 11, '14, 3:38 am

Religion: Hardcore Catholic!

Former Republican Presidential Nominee Jon Huntsman started it in Utah and it was actually saving money.

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/FE...ness-i-1632461
Old Feb 11, '14, 4:09 am

If we seized Anderson Vanderbilt Cooper's inherited billions, we could house everyone. Let's do it!
Old Feb 11, '14, 4:12 am

In general, I support the concept behind Habitat for Humanity; since this is moreso an advocacy piece / op ed, rather than a neutral article, I can't tell how this idea stacks up against that concept.

Having said that, if I was a landlord and had occupancy issues with some of my apartments, I wouldn't necessarily mind renting some of them to such a program under the following circumstances:

- The people who would be occupying these apartments do not exactly have a good credit rating, so I would need to have somebody act as guarantor so that the term of the lease was paid out. I would not want my places occupied by squatters.

- Since a high percentage of the homeless have drug/alcohol problems, I would need to have some of assurance that my place wouldn't have an excessive amount of damage that would need to be repaired upon their departure. So, again, I would want to have some sort of additional deposit paid to cover damage (above what I'd want for a renter with good references)

- Also, as a landlord, I would need to have some sort of protection for my other renters that their quality of life would not be negatively impacted. A drunk or a druggie in the hallways is not going to inspire people to want to stay in my apartments. So I would want to have an understanding of what was going to happen with them: are they going to be screened properly to determine if rehab is needed? If so, are they going to receive some sort of rehab? Are they going to be put through some sort of job training? Are they going to be given assistance in finding regular employment?

If I was a landlord, I would have a responsibility to all the people who rent my units. It would be utterly unfair and a breach of commutative justice if I negatively impact their quality of life by leasing a unit to somebody who is not properly screened and, in this case, hand-held...at least, until he/she/they have demonstrated that they can stand on their own.
Old Feb 11, '14, 5:30 am

Religion: Catholic - revert in 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomalley View Post
In general, I support the concept behind Habitat for Humanity; since this is moreso an advocacy piece / op ed, rather than a neutral article, I can't tell how this idea stacks up against that concept.

Having said that, if I was a landlord and had occupancy issues with some of my apartments, I wouldn't necessarily mind renting some of them to such a program under the following circumstances:

- The people who would be occupying these apartments do not exactly have a good credit rating, so I would need to have somebody act as guarantor so that the term of the lease was paid out. I would not want my places occupied by squatters.

- Since a high percentage of the homeless have drug/alcohol problems, I would need to have some of assurance that my place wouldn't have an excessive amount of damage that would need to be repaired upon their departure. So, again, I would want to have some sort of additional deposit paid to cover damage (above what I'd want for a renter with good references)

- Also, as a landlord, I would need to have some sort of protection for my other renters that their quality of life would not be negatively impacted. A drunk or a druggie in the hallways is not going to inspire people to want to stay in my apartments. So I would want to have an understanding of what was going to happen with them: are they going to be screened properly to determine if rehab is needed? If so, are they going to receive some sort of rehab? Are they going to be put through some sort of job training? Are they going to be given assistance in finding regular employment?

If I was a landlord, I would have a responsibility to all the people who rent my units. It would be utterly unfair and a breach of commutative justice if I negatively impact their quality of life by leasing a unit to somebody who is not properly screened and, in this case, hand-held...at least, until he/she/they have demonstrated that they can stand on their own.
Necessary therapy would need to be made for the homeless individuals so they can adapt to their new housing. But increased tolerance would need to be made in their behalf. You cannot expect these people to be perfect tenants. It will never happen without plenty of therapy that would probably cost more than the housing itself.

Mark 12:30
ĎAnd you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
Old Feb 11, '14, 6:11 am

Quote:
Necessary therapy would need to be made for the homeless individuals so they can adapt to their new housing. But increased tolerance would need to be made in their behalf. You cannot expect these people to be perfect tenants. It will never happen without plenty of therapy that would probably cost more than the housing itself.
The big question for me is the impact on other tenants. Commutative justice must be served with them.
Old Feb 11, '14, 10:23 am

Quote:

Sometimes "it's the Christian thing to do" falls on deaf ears, "it saves money" seems to reach a wider audience.

Even in San Francisco it saves money and that's an extremely mild climate

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News