Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 29, '14, 1:59 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Movie Noah?

Sister Rose Pacatte who is FSP director of the Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City, CA with an MEd in Media Studies from the University of London (UK) and a Certificate in Pastoral Communications from the Unviersity of Dayton. Her primary work is media literacy education for parents and teachers within the context of culture, education and faith formation. She loves movies and is the Film/TV columnist for St. Anthony Messenger Magazine, the National Catholic Reporter, Sr. Rose Goes to the Movies at RCL/Benziger and at Reel Spirituality. You can also find film and media education articles at Pauline Center for Media Studies.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/sisterrosemovies/about/

Here is her review
There is no doubt that Darren Aronofsky’s epic “Noah” draws from post-apocalyptic images and gives a nod to science fiction and the popular vampire genre to tell the story of Noah, the grandson of Methuselah.

And Aronofsky has done his Bible-storytelling homework. The entire narrative has the feel of an oral storytelling culture, with the use of repetitive “chiastic” or “ring” structure so hearers will remember. The film begins with the creation story in images, then over and over, Noah tells his family about the Creator and the six-day creation story that includes the first temptation, the fall, and the role of the devil in bringing paradise to an end. Sin is alive and well in Aronofsky’s “Noah.”

As a child, Noah (Dakota Goyo) witnesses the death of his father, Lamech (Marton Csokas), by a band of marauders looking for food in a barren landscape. The earth has been consumed. As a man, Noah (Russell Crowe), his wife, Naameh (Jennifer Connelly), and their two sons, Shem (Douglas Booth) and Ham (Logan Lerman) — young Japheth (Leo McHugh Carroll) comes along later — live in isolation to survive the decadence and violence of human behavior.

In dreams, Noah believes the Creator is telling him a flood is coming that will cleanse the earth and bring new life. He makes a journey to see his grandfather, Methuselah (Anthony Hopkins), and verify the Creator’s mandate. Noah and Shem come across a young girl, Ila (Emma Watson), who has been left for dead by her people. They bring her into their family and heal her severe injuries. It seems she will never be able to bear children.

In the wasteland, trees begin to grow, providing the wood needed. The fearsome Watchers (mythic creatures, half human and half heavenly, called Nephilim in Genesis) decide to help Noah and his family build the ark, the vessel where the innocent creatures will abide until the waters subside.

When a horde of people, led by the king, Tubal-cain (Ray Winstone), arrive demanding a place on the ark, Noah and Naameh have a conversation about what they would do to save their family, even killing if necessary. But Noah is a peaceful man, and the idea of killing any creature is abhorrent to him. But he admits that if he must, he will kill to defend his loved ones.

As the ark nears completion, the animals begin to arrive. First the birds, then snakes. Naameh burns an herbal sedative that causes the animals to fall asleep for the duration of the journey.

Then the rain begins.

“Noah” is not the typical robe-and-sandal Bible film we have become used to. Aronofsky has broken open the story of Noah (Genesis 5:29-9:29) and … CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING AT NCRONLINE

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/sisterr...l-bible-movie/

I have not seen the movie myself yet but I do prefer to make my own mind up about things.

"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters you do unto me"
Old Mar 29, '14, 2:07 am

Religion: Convert
Default Re: Two Catholic reviews of the upcoming "NOAH."

I disliked this movie. It had the slant that was advertised, actually ever more than I expected.

I understand the creative liberties, after all it is a relatively short passage in the bible. But there are too many outlandish ideas and a very bizarre subtext.

I am mixed between recommending it so that we can show the world the importance of the Christian audience and not recommending it because I actually not only found it to be very inaccurate but also just ... how to say ... weird?

Some liberties are actually contrary to what is in the OT. I won't spoil anything and will remain silent after this.
Old Mar 29, '14, 3:44 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbasaur05 View Post
It looks like Gladiator except....with Noah.
^ This!

I saw three posters in the cinema: Noah, Pompeii and another similar-looking film which I can't remember! All of the posters looked exactly the same! Don't really know what to make of it...
Old Mar 29, '14, 5:10 am

Religion: Catholic

Saw the movie yesterday and liked it. I didn't feel it insulted any of my religious beliefs.

We really don't know what kind of world it was before the Deluge so maybe they did have some advanced devices, knew how to knit, use buttons, put together a nice waredrobe (love the textiles and visable stitching etc.), had some sort of exploding instruments and glowing coals.

Now the Messengers aka Nephilim (thank you Sr. Rose for that info) look more like our present day toy shop Transformers. I think they could have looked like ordinary angels. These angels were a depressed lot because, according to movie, they had pitied Adam and Eve after the Fall and got punished by God for interfering. God cast them into the earth making them into rock creatures. Along comes Noah and the assorted rock transformers decide to help him out by building the Ark. Okay, I can accept that. Maybe he did have help because that was a huge contract for one guy to fill.

Now Noah is a good guy and everyone else, descendants of Cain, is evil. He visits that camp and is totally shocked by their depravity coming away with the idea that even his own family probably harbors evil. He decides, after the Ark is adrift, that what God, aka The Creator, really wants is to end the era of humans so he declares that if his daughter-in-law gives birth to a male, that child can live to bury the family as they finish their natural lives. But if the child is a female, he, Noah, will kill it immediately. Guess how that ends.

Noah tells his adopted daughter, who believes she serves no purpose on this earth, that he first thought of her as a burden and then realized what a treasure she was to him and his family. At that point, Noah really does not know what God has in mind for her and is totally unaware of her destiny. I think the message here was that no child should be destroyed or feel unwanted. I think there's a message against abortion in the movie.

Yes, Noah is an environmentalist and does not consume meat. However, they all have some really nice boots.

Good acting, great animation, missed the giraffes and bunnies. Will give you something to think about and you'll probably go read about Noah in the Bible.
Old Mar 29, '14, 6:47 am

Saw it and liked it.

Wrote about it under "Movie: Noah?"

Yes, I did see it as pro-life too.
Old Mar 29, '14, 4:51 pm

Default Noah Movie

Has anyone actually seen the movie Noah?

Is it good or bad?

Is it suitable for family viewing?

So many conflicting views and 'reports of reports'.
Old Mar 29, '14, 4:53 pm

Exclamation Re: Movie Noah?

I just went to see the movie after reading a positive review by a Catholic journalist. Worst decision ever. If you don't believe me, go see the movie and 10 minutes into the movie do what I did, walk out and ask for a refund. They'll give you one.

This movie in my opinion is just a way to confuse people and ridicule our faith in a real God, by mixing all sort of mythological and crazy ideas such as Rock People who talk and look like they belong in a toddler movie instead. All I am saying is that creator of this movie is a strong Atheist, and still is according what I have read. I know we need more faith based movies, but let's not get desperate and accept when Hollywood tries to make a mockery out of SACRED scripture. Yes we don't know every little detail about Noah's life, but this movie was a joke and actually changed verses in the Bible. Why would you accept this. I will not. Please do not take your children, they may start thinking that Noah was not even real after all.
Old Mar 29, '14, 5:54 pm

Aronofsky is Jewish. He's the guy that made the Jewish Pi movie
Old Mar 29, '14, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Note to Christians and those who believe the Bible: The producer of the movie “Noah,” a self-professed atheist, says he is proud of the fact that he’s taken a story inspired by God’s word and turned it into something so secular.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...t-biblical-bi/

Glad I found this review before I wasted my time and money.
Old Mar 29, '14, 6:47 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Noah Movie

the pope has approved so i guess that's a start
Old Mar 29, '14, 7:11 pm

Religion: Deist, former Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart View Post
I just went to see the movie after reading a positive review by a Catholic journalist. Worst decision ever. If you don't believe me, go see the movie and 10 minutes into the movie do what I did, walk out and ask for a refund. They'll give you one.

This movie in my opinion is just a way to confuse people and ridicule our faith in a real God, by mixing all sort of mythological and crazy ideas such as Rock People who talk and look like they belong in a toddler movie instead. All I am saying is that creator of this movie is a strong Atheist, and still is according what I have read. I know we need more faith based movies, but let's not get desperate and accept when Hollywood tries to make a mockery out of SACRED scripture. Yes we don't know every little detail about Noah's life, but this movie was a joke and actually changed verses in the Bible. Why would you accept this. I will not. Please do not take your children, they may start thinking that Noah was not even real after all.
You stayed 10 minutes of a 2 hr. 17 min. film and you have criticism? Excuse me if I find that to be a bit strange.

Maybe you should have watched the whole film before judging it. As it is, your opinion is without value.
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Old Mar 29, '14, 7:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful View Post
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...t-biblical-bi/

Glad I found this review before I wasted my time and money.
This guy is jewish.
http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=965

Has nobody seen Pi?

I feel kind of frustrated because I'm huge fan of Aronofsky's art and none of the Christian community has given a **** about him until Noah.....then they hate Noah and don't really get him as an artist.
Old Mar 29, '14, 7:24 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

If you want Hollywood religion, go for it. If you want a story that is even remotely close to the biblical account, don’t waste your time. I have heard more negative comments than positive and the positive ones have almost all been about the special effects. I heard some folks actually laughing at how off base the movie is and told everyone listening not to waste their time.

I don’t plan on watching it until its free or cheap and then only for a reference when people talk about the movie.

It was written by a proclaimed atheist who said it was all inclusive to various religions. You be the judge.
Old Mar 29, '14, 7:24 pm

Yes, I got a vey pro-life message from it.

Still hated the rock people.
Old Mar 29, '14, 7:41 pm

I saw it and liked it. Actually found it to be pro-life.

The story is included in the Bible. Consequently, Jews, Christians and Muslims would be interested. I believe it has been banned in some Muslim countries.

I wrote more under the media section "Movie Noah?"

No, it includes things that are not in the Bible e.g. The Messangers/Angels who look like Transformer toys, wives not on the Ark, stowaway, and killing on the Ark.

I would be emphatic that the producer, director is taking liberties here especially if your kids are going to see it. I'd encourage them to read Noah in the Bible and then, after seeing the movie, discuss the differences.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media