Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 12, '14, 5:36 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Singing priest's Hallelujah wows wedding guests

No one is arguing against worshiping God by singing in church. Issue is ..Did in that particular case, singing performed to worship God, or pleasing people, or even worse.. priest pleasing himself.
Old Apr 12, '14, 5:45 am
Forum Master

I just kept looking at all the flowers around, the glass chalice on the altar, the unity candle (blech!), and the priest singing from the altar (not the first time he's done that at a wedding he's celebrated as attested to by a previous video of him singing "You Lift Me Up" at another wedding) and shaking my head. BAD LITURGY!

And the BBC says that this couple is presently on their honeymoon in Mexico so, yes, this wedding did take place during Lent though you see no sign of that season anywhere in the church.

Old Apr 12, '14, 5:46 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwona Jolanta View Post
No one is arguing against worshiping God by singing in church. Issue is ..Did in that particular case, singing performed to worship God, or pleasing people, or even worse.. priest pleasing himself.
Amen.

Old Apr 12, '14, 12:15 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
I just kept looking at all the flowers around, the glass chalice on the altar, the unity candle (blech!), and the priest singing from the altar (not the first time he's done that at a wedding he's celebrated as attested to by a previous video of him singing "You Lift Me Up" at another wedding) and shaking my head. BAD LITURGY!

And the BBC says that this couple is presently on their honeymoon in Mexico so, yes, this wedding did take place during Lent though you see no sign of that season anywhere in the church.
Thank you Phemie, that is good and enlightening, although dismaying, information.

This is in Northern Ireland, of all places. A region with a long history of bitter sectarian violence. It is a shame to see hard-identity Catholicism compromised in this manner, probably in the name of ecumenism. It is telling information. It informs me that liturgical abuse happens everywhere and at every time, and it also tells me that the Church is sadly infected with a hypersexualized "hookup" culture which worships erotic love as an idol, rather than worshipping God above, rather than acknowledging erotic love in the context of marriage as a sacred gift.

I am very happy this couple were married in the Church. I wish them many years. I am also glad that a holy priest with an incredible voice and talent was willing to do this out of love for his parishioners, perhaps a bit misguided, but it was still done with the best intentions and therefore lessens the culpability for all the other problems we find, and the holes we poke into the story. In this age where marriage and family are being steadily eroded and attacked from all sides, we need to remember that a wedding is a cause for great celebration and congratulations, and we shouldn't let our negativity about the details get in the way of what should be an uplifting and inspiring news story.
Old Apr 12, '14, 12:34 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
Why are people so "stunned" if a priest or nun (like the one from the Brit talent show last week) sing well?

Are they supposed to all be bad singers or something?
Good point. I used to think it was a requirement that they have good voices, especially enough to sing the old High Mass well.

If this were an Italian Mass I would have expected it.

Seriously, though, it looked like he wanted the focus on himself rather than the bride and groom. Did anyone notice the reaction (laughter) he got just for grimacing? I sort of feel sorry for the bride and groom, the true ministers of a marriage.
Old Apr 12, '14, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTINE77 View Post
... I thought it was in extremely poor taste, and he really isn't that great of a singer. I love the original song by Leonard Cohen, but it's a rough, sad song - it shouldn't be changed to a wedding song, for heaven sakes! And I also disliked the way he sang the word "Hallelo-o-o-o-o-oia", he sounded like a cow or something! Also he had those sneaky looking eyes....and it was totally inappropriate to do it at the altar! Ha ha I guess I got my rant out.
And I didn't think it was in extremely poor taste and, in point of fact, he is an absolutely excellent singer. He didn't sing the Leonard Cohen song; he used the music to that song and created his own lyrics, for heaven sakes! Wow, his vocal range is fabulous, being able to hit that extra high "Hallelujah" part especially well...he sounded like an angel or something! Filled with love and happiness for the couple, his eyes twinkled with affection and excitement for them. From the famous song:

"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling,
sure 'tis like a morn in spring.

In the lilt of Irish laughter,
you can hear the angels sing.

When Irish hearts are happy,
all the world seems bright and gay,

And When Irish Eyes Are Smiling,
sure, they steal your heart away."

Hmm-m-m-m-m, guess I got
my rant repartee out.
Old Apr 12, '14, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
G
Seriously, though, it looked like he wanted the focus on himself rather than the bride and groom. Did anyone notice the reaction (laughter) he got just for grimacing? I sort of feel sorry for the bride and groom, the true ministers of a marriage.
Believe me, the bride and groom loved it, so don't feel sorry for them. They're never going to give up going to the Catholic church, because they are going to treasure this special gift Fr. Kelly gave them forever.

By the by, Fr. Kelly was smiling, not grimacing....you probably didn't notice the upturned corners of his mouth, or perhaps your screen resolution has eroded. You and many other posters thought he wanted focus on himself, but didn't realize that the way this was filmed (close up of priest's head) made you believe that.

The priest was offering a gift to the couple by way of the song. In fact, after the song, he went immediately to concluding prayers, if you watch the last minute of the film. He sang the song about the same time our pastor makes "a few brief announcements" before the dismissal rite, so there's nothing inappropriate about it.

All you harumph-ers and nay-sayers out there.....get a life!
Old Apr 13, '14, 4:01 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire early View Post
The priest was offering a gift to the couple by way of the song. In fact, after the song, he went immediately to concluding prayers, if you watch the last minute of the film. He sang the song about the same time our pastor makes "a few brief announcements" before the dismissal rite, so there's nothing inappropriate about it.

He used the word Alleluia during a Mass during Lent. I don't care if that one started with H, it's the same word and we're not to use it in church during Lent.

He put the focus on himself, and it's not the first time he's pulled that stunt at a wedding.

I don't care how much the couple loved it, it was still highly inappropriate. It's Mass, not the priest's personal playground. Do the red, say the black.

Old Apr 13, '14, 8:21 am

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

The germane questions we must ask and will never know are such as these:

Did the priest know he can't say Alleluia at all during Mass in Lent? If he had heard of this rule, how did it come to him? Was it from a document he read, or was it in a memo from his ordinary? A personal conversation with brother priests?

Did the ordinary expressly forbid him to say Alleluia or sing this song in the Mass? Did the ordinary expressly approve the music and lyrics of this song in advance for use in that Nuptial Liturgy?

Do other priests in the diocese do things like this? What is the ordinary's overall opinion of those practices? Is he permissive in his liturgical regulation or is he restrictive?

These and other questions and their answers are not excuses for what was done, but they certainly matter in weighing the culpability and the guilt for these supposed but minor sins committed. If the priest was acting in disobedience or defiance, then that's one thing. If the bishop expressly went along with the idea, then that's another thing. We can't know what went on behind the scenes. This is the Internet, where we speculate wildly and come to bizarre conclusions about what really happened. All we have is a video and a news story. Come on, this is a holy priest who leads a parish. He must have done something good in his life. Give him the benefit of the doubt here. It seems to me that he meant well and did his best considering whatever formation and education and guidance he has been given. He's also a priest of "that certain age". The priests of the "Spirit of Vatican II". We don't have to worry about this generation much longer because they will be replaced by their children, and the zeitgeist is changing. The Biological Solution is working slowly but surely. Pray for this priest, bless him, and others like him, who believe they are doing the work of the Lord.
Old Apr 13, '14, 9:01 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
The germane questions we must ask and will never know are such as these:

Did the priest know he can't say Alleluia at all during Mass in Lent? If he had heard of this rule, how did it come to him? Was it from a document he read, or was it in a memo from his ordinary? A personal conversation with brother priests?
You have got to be kidding!?! What adult Catholic (unless, perhaps a very recent convert) doesn't know we don't sing or say "Alleluia" during Lent?

It's not a new thing and neither is Fr. Kelly so he would be well aware of it. As to how he would know, it's in the Ordo every year; in the GIRM; in 1987's Paschale Solemnitatis; in 1969's General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar. Has it escaped his notice that the Gospel Acclamation is changed at this time of year?

Old Apr 13, '14, 10:54 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
Hi everyone. Here in the UK this wonderful Priest has hit the headlines today!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26957527

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd6LbncpSIo
Copyright violation?

Another money-making scam, if anything. Yawn.

Or maybe I watch Shark Tank too much.
Old Apr 13, '14, 11:06 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Believe me, the bride and groom loved it, so don't feel sorry for them. They're never going to give up going to the Catholic church, because they are going to treasure this special gift Fr. Kelly gave them forever.

By the by, Fr. Kelly was smiling, not grimacing....you probably didn't notice the upturned corners of his mouth, or perhaps your screen resolution has eroded. You and many other posters thought he wanted focus on himself, but didn't realize that the way this was filmed (close up of priest's head) made you believe that.

Really? On another video, this was preceded by other vocalists who sang just as much if not more beautifully. (I believe it was "Make Us True Servants" in Irish.) Why no applause for them?
Old Apr 13, '14, 7:42 pm

Religion: (cradle) Catholic - Latin Rite

Oh the horrors! A priest actually said (sang) Halleluia during Lent and Armageddon is upon us.

Over 1800 viewers of this thread to date, surely among them some who come here to learn more about the Catholic Church in their personal journey for the true faith. I wonder how many have said "nah, guess I need to look elsewhere".
Old Apr 14, '14, 9:27 am

Religion: CATHOLIC

Quote:
And I didn't think it was in extremely poor taste and, in point of fact, he is an absolutely excellent singer. He didn't sing the Leonard Cohen song; he used the music to that song and created his own lyrics, for heaven sakes! Wow, his vocal range is fabulous, being able to hit that extra high "Hallelujah" part especially well...he sounded like an angel or something! Filled with love and happiness for the couple, his eyes twinkled with affection and excitement for them. From the famous song:

"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling,
sure 'tis like a morn in spring.

In the lilt of Irish laughter,
you can hear the angels sing.

When Irish hearts are happy,
all the world seems bright and gay,

And When Irish Eyes Are Smiling,
sure, they steal your heart away."

Hmm-m-m-m-m, guess I got
my rant repartee out.
There's no accounting for taste! I guess we both are entitled to our own opinions.
Old Apr 14, '14, 10:00 am

Religion: Catholic. Very.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
You have got to be kidding!?! What adult Catholic (unless, perhaps a very recent convert) doesn't know we don't sing or say "Alleluia" during Lent?

It's not a new thing and neither is Fr. Kelly so he would be well aware of it. As to how he would know, it's in the Ordo every year; in the GIRM; in 1987's Paschale Solemnitatis; in 1969's General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar. Has it escaped his notice that the Gospel Acclamation is changed at this time of year?

I didn't know. And I am not a very recent convert.
See my signature. I was really beating myself up about not knowing, then someone pointed out to me how much studying of Catholicism I've actually done. Thus the signature.
Sometimes we miss things.

When a person knows everything there is to know about the faith, then I think they perhaps can judge others who don't yet know everything. No offense, but there is a lot to learn, even for cradle Catholics.

God bless.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."
~Saint Augustine

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News