Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Mini-tutorials

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 7, '04, 7:02 pm

Default Red and Green dots mean what?

PLEASE, I've asked this before, but get no answer. What do those sometimes red and sometimes green dots next to my name in a post mean? And now I have seen a red box on one. I just can't spend any more time looking for a key for these things, so I do wish one of you would tell me.

Thanks,

Anna
Old Sep 7, '04, 7:06 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, Latin (Roman) Rite
Default Re: Red and Green dots mean what????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Elizabeth
PLEASE, I've asked this before, but get no answer. What do those sometimes red and sometimes green dots next to my name in a post mean? And now I have seen a red box on one. I just can't spend any more time looking for a key for these things, so I do wish one of you would tell me.

Thanks,

Anna
It's a secret...... if we tell you, we have to Kerrycize you

MrS

I don't know either, so I'll be watching for the answer. Thanks
Old Sep 7, '04, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrS
It's a secret...... if we tell you, we have to Kerrycize you
Yikes! is right! If that's what it takes, I'll just have to muddle through! Thanks for very quick response, tho. It's nice to know that someone is out there!

Anna
Old Sep 7, '04, 7:57 pm

Religion: Catholic

It is green when the person is online at the forums. You will always see your own as green.

Greg
Old Sep 7, '04, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_McPherran
It is green when the person is online at the forums. You will always see your own as green.

Greg
But, Greg, Even as I was reading your post, mine was red and yours was green...at the same time. They were even on my screen at the same time. And I was online. I wasn't reading it from my email, where things appear to alert me to a post of someone's.

Am I just too thick to comprehend this?

In any case, then, it doesn't mean red for "stop" something and green for "keep going?"

And the box? I really find these things confusing.

But thanks for helping.

Anna
Old Sep 7, '04, 8:43 pm

Greg, The post I just put up had a red dot.
It also had a red box!

Anna
Old Sep 7, '04, 8:56 pm

Hello Anna,

The only thing I ever see is a circle just to the right of a person's name. It is either green if the person is online at the forums or gray if they are not here.

Are you referring to items directly to the right of your name?

Greg
Old Sep 8, '04, 10:17 am
Administrator

Arrow Re: Red and Green dots mean what????

A red dot in the circle next to the name means that you have chosen to be "invisible" while you are on the forum (an option in the Member Profile). Others cannot see that you are online, but you see a red dot next to your handle to remind you that you are logged into the forums. Green dots are next to the names of those who do not mind letting others know they are online. Others see you listed at the bottom of the forums index and see a green dot next to your name in your posts. Moderators, being all-seeing (if not all-knowing ), see everyone who is online.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 8, '04, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_McPherran
Hello Anna,

The only thing I ever see is a circle just to the right of a person's name. It is either green if the person is online at the forums or gray if they are not here.

Are you referring to items directly to the right of your name?

Greg
Yes, exactly. Right next to my name on the post before your answer is a bright red dot! It was there last night, and it's still there. On other posts (of mine), it will be green. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it, and decided it is like nothing so much as a semaphore. Unfortunately it is sending me mixed and confusing signals.

Then I thought, "Aha! It is meant to show us how confusing life is when one gets messages (stimuli or whatever), with no authority to interpret them. What other reason would the forum people have to set this all up and neglect (deliberately?) to provide basic info?

And then: Sooo, this is a clever idea to show, as did the story of Philip and the Eunuch (sp?) that one must ultimately have a guide if one is to understand the the messages with which we are constantly being bombarded.

Having figured out the answer to this weird thing, I fell asleep again.

This a.m. it didn't sound so good.

Anna
Old Sep 8, '04, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese Martin
A red dot in the circle next to the name means that you have chosen to be "invisible" while you are on the forum (an option in the Member Profile). Others cannot see that you are online, but you see a red dot next to your handle to remind you that you are logged into the forums. Green dots are next to the names of those who do not mind letting others know they are online. Others see you listed at the bottom of the forums index and see a green dot next to your name in your posts. Moderators, being all-seeing (if not all-knowing ), see everyone who is online.

Hope this helps.
Oh, dear! I should have read this post before answering Greg! So much for my esoteric, in-depth interpretation of the dots! No wonder. I must have indicated somewhere that I don't want others to know when I'm online, and, with that, I became a red dot. I will try to send your message to Greg, now.

So many thanks for all you do, and God bless!

Anna
Old Sep 9, '04, 4:30 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese Martin

Hope this helps.
I found this red dot thingy and tried it today for a little while...
(changed it back) because I couldn't figure out why would I want to appear off-line? Enlighten me... Annunciata
Old Sep 9, '04, 5:35 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annunciata
I found this red dot thingy and tried it today for a little while...
(changed it back) because I couldn't figure out why would I want to appear off-line? Enlighten me... Annunciata
At the top of the page, above Reply to Thread, there is a line starting with Home.

Click on Profile, the next to last item.

On the Left the column is headed Control Panel. Under that is Settings &Options.

Click on fourth item down Edit Options.

On the Right the first item under Login & Privacy should be Invisible Mode.

Uncheck the box.

Scroll to bottom and click box marked Save Changes.

[I almost forgot that last one. I often do and wonder why I get no results. ]
Old Sep 10, '04, 11:35 am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annunciata
I couldn't figure out why would I want to appear off-line? Enlighten me...
If someone clicks on your name in the forums index, that person can see what you are doing on the forums (e.g., reading or replying to a particular thread, sending private message, etc.). They can also send you a private message while you are online, expecting you to read it right away. While some people don't mind this -- indeed, many consider it a benefit and a means of more personal interaction with fellow forum members -- others prefer to keep private their presence on the forums and what they are doing on the forums.

Last edited by Therese Martin; May 28, '08 at 10:21 am.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Mini-tutorials