Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 29, '07, 7:34 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Communal penance services

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanschrader View Post
What exactly happens at your communal penance services?
I won't answer this question because as I said what this term covers can vary. I will describe what happens in the second form of the Rite for the Sacrament of Penance and REconciliation, and will go get a link when I get time.

Prayer
Examination of conscience, usually led by a priest or deacon who reads from source that encourages those present to examine their lives in the light of the commandments and beatitudes.
sometimes appropriate music
individual confessions, usually several priests gather from neighboring parishes for this.
either individuals say their own assigned penance and leave, or there is a closing prayer, which includes an act of contrition and the same penance for everyone, and the Our Father.

you can probably find the rite on the bishops website, got to go.
Old Mar 29, '07, 5:42 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsalter View Post
I rarely see anyone at my parish go to confession at all, except for the same dozen or so people. Maybe they are all like me and go often to confession out of town.
I don't travel out of town, but I frequently go to confession at another parish with more convenient times for confession. So you would only see me in the confession line at my parish about 3 or 4 times a year. I usually go monthly, so the other 8 or 9 times will be someplace else.
Old Mar 29, '07, 6:19 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsalter View Post
Are Communal penance services licit for mortal sins? Fr Vincent Serpa just posted that they were licit, but since they only take place a couple of times a year, one shouldn't wait. But again my original question, are Communal penance services licit for mortal sins?
Of course. Keeping in mind that a Penance service is a communal examination of conscience with individual Confessions. Fr. is right a person should not wait if they realize that they have committed a Mortal sin for the next Penance service.
Old Mar 29, '07, 6:35 pm
Prayer Warrior

Apparently, where I live, the sacrament of penance is licit in it's 3rd form, but Rome is soon going to change that, and I'm glad. I heard there was going to be a penitential service at our church; I was happy, convinced a couple of my Catholic friends to come too (Confession is good for your soul!) and then preceded to be confused for the next hour while we had an entrance hymn, a reading, a psalm, what I think was a Gospel reading, an examination of conscience, a procession up to the priest so he could lay his hands on everyone's heads, a general penance given to the entire congregation, and then an exit hymn. Apparently, this is licit in my university's diocese, but not back home, and not at the home parishes of my friends, either. But, as afore mentioned, it will soon not be licit, due to a ruling that is supposed to be released from the Vatican soon. I was rather disappointed, as I had scheduled an hour in my evening, expecting it to be a half-hour or so prep for confession, and then the opportunity for a private one afterwards, like my home parish. I'm planning to get to confession this weekend, when I go to visit my boyfriend, who happens to be going to university in my home parish. (Really romantic date, huh? )
Old Mar 29, '07, 9:34 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinbeast View Post
Apparently, where I live, the sacrament of penance is licit in it's 3rd form, but Rome is soon going to change that, and I'm glad. I heard there was going to be a penitential service at our church; I was happy, convinced a couple of my Catholic friends to come too (Confession is good for your soul!) and then preceded to be confused for the next hour while we had an entrance hymn, a reading, a psalm, what I think was a Gospel reading, an examination of conscience, a procession up to the priest so he could lay his hands on everyone's heads, a general penance given to the entire congregation, and then an exit hymn. Apparently, this is licit in my university's diocese, but not back home, and not at the home parishes of my friends, either. But, as afore mentioned, it will soon not be licit, due to a ruling that is supposed to be released from the Vatican soon. I was rather disappointed, as I had scheduled an hour in my evening, expecting it to be a half-hour or so prep for confession, and then the opportunity for a private one afterwards, like my home parish. I'm planning to get to confession this weekend, when I go to visit my boyfriend, who happens to be going to university in my home parish. (Really romantic date, huh? )
The Vatican has never approved this and has said so, that General Absolution is only licit in certain very narrow circumstances. Pope Benedict has also just mentioned this prohibition again in his latest Apostolic Exhortation released a week or so ago.
Old Mar 29, '07, 9:54 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
The Vatican has never approved this and has said so, that General Absolution is only licit in certain very narrow circumstances. Pope Benedict has also just mentioned this prohibition again in his latest Apostolic Exhortation released a week or so ago.
Good. I personally think that Confession is one of the best Sacraments we have. I like to go monthly. The graces of the Sacrament are wonderful. Many Catholics who do not receive this Sacrament regularly do not know what they are missing.
Old Mar 30, '07, 6:27 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
Good! ^^ Hopefully things will be fixed next time... Confession is a wonderful sacrament.Jesus died for us, endured immense physical, spiritual, and mental suffering for our sake, the least we can do is 'fess up when we screw up.
Old Mar 31, '07, 2:37 am
Moderator (Ret.)

Papal Penance service described here:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=142281
Old Mar 31, '07, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
I won't answer this question because as I said what this term covers can vary. I will describe what happens in the second form of the Rite for the Sacrament of Penance and REconciliation, and will go get a link when I get time.

Prayer
Examination of conscience, usually led by a priest or deacon who reads from source that encourages those present to examine their lives in the light of the commandments and beatitudes.
sometimes appropriate music
individual confessions, usually several priests gather from neighboring parishes for this.
either individuals say their own assigned penance and leave, or there is a closing prayer, which includes an act of contrition and the same penance for everyone, and the Our Father.

you can probably find the rite on the bishops website, got to go.
Thanks.

I am familiar with the Rite. I was asking because I was trying to make sure that the term wasn't being used in place of "general absolution." I also wanted to find out why the O.P. would have thought them to be invalid or illicit.

It's a moot point now.

Last edited by dylanschrader; Mar 31, '07 at 7:25 am.
Old Apr 3, '07, 9:37 pm

Default Communal Confession

I went to a communial confession service tonight at my sister-in-law's church. It was nice, but I'm not sure that it's recognized or treated the same as a regular confession. Like I said it was a nice service, not a full mass, and the scripture readings and homily and reflections were very helpful. But I'm not sure I get the same 'feeling' I do from one on one confession.
Old Apr 3, '07, 9:40 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Communal Confession

It's not permitted to have 'communal' penance services of this kind (where there's no individual confession of sins or individual absolution) except in cases of emergency (as in crashing plane type emergency) where individual confession isn't possible.

You need to licitly confess your sins one-on-one to a priest asap and not receive the Eucharist until you've done so (if you're in mortal sin)

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Apr 3, '07, 9:43 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
It's not permitted to have 'communal' penance services of this kind (where there's no individual confession of sins or individual absolution) except in cases of emergency (as in crashing plane type emergency) where individual confession isn't possible.

You need to licitly confess your sins one-on-one to a priest asap and not receive the Eucharist until you've done so (if you're in mortal sin)
it is perfectly legitimate to have a communal penance service. What is not legitimate is to have general absolution except in the rare cases specified for that form of the rite of confession. OP did not say that occurred.
Old Apr 3, '07, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post

I went to confession last week. I went to this with my sister-in-law tonight to see what it was like. Is it a mortal sin to go to communial confession?
Old Apr 3, '07, 10:23 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasf View Post
I went to a communial confession service tonight at my sister-in-law's church. It was nice, but I'm not sure that it's recognized or treated the same as a regular confession. Like I said it was a nice service, not a full mass, and the scripture readings and homily and reflections were very helpful. But I'm not sure I get the same 'feeling' I do from one on one confession.
Are you saying that there was no individual confession and absolution as a part of this communal penance service?? Every communal penance service I have ever attended included individual confessions and individual absolution.
Old Apr 3, '07, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Are you saying that there was no individual confession and absolution as a part of this communal penance service?? Every communal penance service I have ever attended included individual confessions and individual absolution.
Nope. There was what they called an 'examination of conscience' and a prayer for forgiveness after the homily. The 'examination' was a reading of questions that you were supposed to reflect on, and whether or not you were living up to these expectations. There was no communion, it was more like a service than a mass.

This wasn't at my church. Like I said, I went to confession at my church last week, in the confessional, with a confession of sins, the prayer of contrition, and absolution and penance.

I don't believe I've done anything mortally sinful since then.

I will point out, my sister-in-law's church also had individual confession last week and this week as well.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments