Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 22, '07, 6:54 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Patron Saint of People with Memory problems?

So, as some of you may have noticed, I have been away from the forums for quite some time, reason being I had completely lost my memory due to carbon monoxide poisoning (long story...don't ask).
Now I'm repeating my second year of my uni course and my final exams start this Saturday. I have been looking to find out who is the patron saint of people with memory loss but so far, no luck.

Any help (and prayers!) is most welcome

(There HAS to be one. For goodness sake there's even a patron saint of Haemorroid Sufferers)

Thanks!!

Old May 22, '07, 7:36 am

Default Re: Patron Saint of People with Memory problems?

This one is from How to Avoid Purgatory by Paul Sullivan
"HOW POPE PIUS IX CURED A BAD MEMORY

The venerable Pontiff, Pius IX, appointed a holy and prudent religious named Padre Tomaso to be bishop of a diocese. The priest, alarmed at the responsibility put upon him, begged earnestly to be excused.
His protests were in vain. The Holy Father knew his merits.
Overcome with apprehension, the humble religious solicited an audience with the Pope, who received him most graciously. Once more he pleaded earnestly to be excused, but the Pope was immovable.
As a last recourse, Padre Tomaso told the Holy Father that he had a very bad memory, which would naturally prove to be a grave impediment in the high office put upon him.
Pius IX answered with a smile: "Your diocese is very small in comparison with the Universal Church, which I carry on my shoulders. Your cares will be very light in comparison with mine.
"I, too, suffered from a grave defect of memory, but I promised to say a fervent prayer daily for the Holy Souls, who, in return, have obtained for me an excellent memory. Do you likewise, Dear Father, and you will have cause to rejoice. "
The prayer which I normally use while driving or otherwise during the day is the one Our Lord dictated to St. Gertrude the Great to release 1,000 Souls from Purgatory each time it is said.
"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen."
Hope that this helps, the holy souls are great intercessors as Fr Schouppe refers to in one of the many visions related in the Dogma of Purgatory specifically if I remember correctly St. Margaret Mary "ingratitude is unknown in Purgatory"
Best of luck
Old May 22, '07, 11:10 pm

This is another prayer attributed to St Thomas Aquinas for intelligence
"PRAYER OF ST. THOMAS AQUINAS
O ineffable Creator, Who, out of the treasure of Thy wisdom, hast ordained three hierarchies of Angels, and placed them in wonderful order above the heavens, and hast most wisely distributed the parts of the world; Thou, Who are called the true fountain of light and wisdom, and the highest beginning, vouchsafe to pour upon the darkness of my understanding, in which I was born, the double beam of Thy brightness, removing from me all darkness of sin and ignorance. Thou, Who makest eloquent the tongue of the dumb, instruct my tongue, and pour on my lips the grace of Thy blessing. Give me quickness of understanding, capacity of retaining, subtlety of interpreting, facility in learning, and copious grace of speaking. Guide my going in, direct my going forward, accomplish my going forth; through Christ our Lord. Amen."
Best of Luck and God bless , remain assured of my prayers.
Old May 22, '07, 11:20 pm

I knew the patron saint of memory, but I forgot his name.

Naw, I've been curious about this too, as my mother's side has Alzheimer's and lately she has been slightly forgetful. I know it's not a cause for any alarm, but it makes you think, nevertheless...
Old May 23, '07, 12:10 pm

Aw, dog-gone it, CSN,
you stole my joke frrom me !!!
+JMJ+
Jaypeeto3
Old May 24, '07, 12:19 am

Thanks!

Old May 24, '07, 2:03 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

I reckon St Anthony is the best choice - he's patron of lost objects, I guess lost memories would be up his alley (not to mention lost minds)

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old May 24, '07, 5:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypeeto3 View Post
Aw, dog-gone it, CSN,
you stole my joke frrom me !!!
+JMJ+
Jaypeeto3
What joke ?

Ahh, yes, I remember.
Old May 24, '07, 4:57 pm

Religion: Was Baptist, RCIA class finished in 2005

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Dymphna is also known as "Dimpna" or "Dympna" and may be synonymous with the Irish saints Davets and Damhnait (Damhnade). Her feast day is May 15 and she is the patron saint of families, insanity and mental illness professionals as well as incest victims, epileptics, runaways, and those suffering from mental illness.
Old May 24, '07, 5:11 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm08 View Post
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Dymphna is also known as "Dimpna" or "Dympna" and may be synonymous with the Irish saints Davets and Damhnait (Damhnade). Her feast day is May 15 and she is the patron saint of families, insanity and mental illness professionals as well as incest victims, epileptics, runaways, and those suffering from mental illness.
I believe that she is also patron saint of all neurological disorders (this may include memory loss). Same goes for Saint Bartholomew the Apostle.
If Christians had lived up to the Church's teaching about property and poverty there never would have been any occasion for the spurious communism of the Marixists and all the rest - whose communism starts out by denying other men the right to own property.

There is only one true doctrine about property rights, and that is taught by Catholic tradition. Those rights exist and cannot be denied, but they imply an obligation which, if it were put into practice without hypocrisy, self-deception and subterfuge, would mean that most Christians would be living with something like the communism of the first Apostles: "For neither was there any one needy among them..."
Thomas Merton in New Seeds of Contemplation
Old May 24, '07, 6:25 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerz View Post
I believe that she is also patron saint of all neurological disorders (this may include memory loss). Same goes for Saint Bartholomew the Apostle.
yes, my sister was just baptized (she has brain injury memory loss) and her name is Kira Leigh Dymphany (spelled this way for ease of pronunciation)--St. Dymphne has always been one of her favorites. Dymphne fled her insane, incestuous father in Ireland and he caught up with her and beheaded her in Belgium.
Ravyn
Old May 24, '07, 6:55 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

While we're on the subject of memory loss and insanity, anyone remember who is Fr. Groeschel's patron? I know he was considered insane.

Also, St. Philomena is invoked for all sorts of things and i have prayed to her in the past and had favors granted.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality