Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 7, '07, 6:53 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Anyone Else a Children's Literature Fan?

I am/was a school and children's librarian. I LOVE reading children's and YA lit. I'm reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz to my son right now. I try to stay on top of the award winners each year too and read those.

One of last year's Newbery's, The Princess Academy was wonderful!

This year's Caldecott is by David Wienser, Flotsam. This is his thrid winner and he also has three or four honor books. All of his books are incredible! Many are wordless and great for kids, young and old. One of my favorite lessons with his books is to have the kids "narrate" the book. It's amazing to see and hear the creatiove ideas based on the same illustrations!

This didn't win the Newbery, but it may have won a National Book Award: The Mysterious Benedict Society. Great for readers who love to solve puzzles!

Of course, I'm also a fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery, Narnia, Ramona, and the like.

Oh, yes: I AM a Harry Potter fan (though not a rabid one)!
Old Jul 7, '07, 6:55 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert in 99 View Post
Right now I am re-reading "The Little House" books and "Ann of Green Gables." Good stuff!

I just love these "suggestions." And I will take them as such.

Glad to know I am not alone. Some of the best classics are in children's literature, as well as some of the best reads!
Remember, that's "Anne" spelt with an "e"!

I like LIW too (see my signature), and has anyone read Roger Lea MacBride's series about Rose? The first one is Little House on Rocky Ridge. There are also series and partial series about Caroline and her mother, etc.
Old Jul 7, '07, 6:58 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

I love childrens' lit!

My favorites:
Little House books
Narnia
Anne of Green Gables series
Redwall series (currently reading)
Harry Potter

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old Jul 7, '07, 8:58 am

Religion: Catholic

As a teacher, I have to say I love children's literature! I acctually read it more than adult literature. I have found that most of the best seller's in adult lit. are a little to "adult" for my taste. However, in the young adult section you can find books that are just good stories, and you don't have to worry about smut. (of course I'm talking about actual literature-not your "beach book series" type stories) As for picture books- I love anything by Patricia Pollaco. Her stories almost always make me cry. I love books that make me cry. My current favorite is The Christmas Tapestry I love her books! For chapter books I love the classics like everyone else, but I also love several books by Kate de Camillo. The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane are two of my favorites by her. The kids love both of those books they even come back the next year and want to know If I've read The Tale of Despereaux to the new class yet. Then they tell the new kids, "Oh, you are going to love that book! It is the best ever!" I like books that let the kids get deep, and really think about things.
Old Jul 7, '07, 9:12 am

I love kids books. I work at an afterschool/summer program and it is great right now because right when I get to work, the kids have a half hour of reading time. And I'm supposed to set a good example right? So I guess I have to read too.

I just read Harriet the Spy and Holes, both of which I had never read before. Now I'm reading Anne of Green Gables which I did read as a kid.

Some of my favorites are all of the Narnia books and all of Madeline L'Engle's kid/young adult books. The Phantom Tollbooth is also one of my all time favorites!
Old Jul 7, '07, 9:28 am

I like Robin Mckinley's books. Beauty is one of my favorites.

I also like Gail Carsen Levine. I esp. enjoy The Two Princesses of Bavarre.

Can you tell I like Fairy Tales?

Another favorite is Katherine Paterson.
Old Jul 7, '07, 2:07 pm
Veteran Member

I like children's literature so much that I write it.

www.jazzicals.com

These novels have a decidedly "Catholic" bent. Grownups like them because of the "grownup" themes stuck in with all the mystery/adventure stuff.
Old Jul 7, '07, 2:37 pm

Cat, your box is full. Let me know when it's empty so I can respond.
Old Jul 9, '07, 8:28 pm

I got into reading Children's Lit when I began collecting American Girl dolls. At first it was very hard for me to go down to the kid's section...considering I read alot of Stephen King, horror, sci-fi, historcial fiction, and non-fic about spirtiuality and whatever topic interests me at the moment. But I finally got over it, and was told on my first visit by the librarian in the Kid's section that she normally sees more adults downstairs then childern! Now I'm slowly going through the stuff I read as a kid, and enjoying rereading my childhood favorites through adult eyes. A very nice break from the "heavier" adult fiction.

For the last two months I've been mostly reading my way through a wonderful series that has served as a subperb introduction into Christian fiction. Which was once again inspired by my doll collecting, ironically enough! Has anyone ever heard of the "Elsie Dinsmore" novels by Martha Finley? Well, when Misson City Press bought the company to make dolls based on the characters of Elsie, her cousin Millie, daughter Violet and now two dolls that are not related to her, they updated the books and put them into series of eight books per character. "A Life Of Faith" is what they're called and I would highly recommend them!

I would also recommend the doll company if you're a collector or want to inspire a girl in Faith and into a very wholesome hobby. www.lifeoffaith.com is their website. I can vouch that the products are of very high quality and are worth every penny. I'm very thankful my local Family Christian Store, which I probably stop in at least once a week, carries the line. They always have the books in stock if you're interested!

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
(1 Corinthians 13:13)
Old Jul 10, '07, 12:03 am

Religion: baptized Christian approaching RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaMartha View Post
I was browsing the "3 for 2" racks at my local Borders, and was delighted to see "Half Magic" by Edward Eager! This was one of my favorites in 5th grade, and I'm glad to see it still in print.
I was going to ask if anyone liked Edward Eager - "Half Magic" was my favorite of his books but I enjoyed all seven and have read them more than once (love the illustration).

I love the book Panda Cake. (The Panda Cake is a special cake, it's not like any other, but don't ask Wilie how special it was, just ask his little brother)
Old Jul 10, '07, 2:45 am

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard of the "Elsie Dinsmore" novels by Martha Finley? Well, when Misson City Press bought the company to make dolls based on the characters of Elsie, her cousin Millie, daughter Violet and now two dolls that are not related to her, they updated the books and put them into series of eight books per character. "A Life Of Faith" is what they're called and I would highly recommend them!
These are updated versions of a much older series. The original Elsie Dinsmore series is viciously anti-Catholic - so much so that when I first read it in college, I saw red. Also, the relationship between Elsie and her father in the original novels is kind of semi-incestuous. Their relationship is not physical but emotionally it is odd enough to be eyebrow raising.

All this has been taken out of the re-done Elsie books, and I read one of them. I think they are harmless, but charmless. I'd rather stick to C.S. Lewis.
Old Jul 10, '07, 5:44 am

Send a message via Yahoo to rocklobster

I love CHildren's literature! My favorite writers are C.S. Lewis, JK Rowling (braces self for flames), and Roald Dahl.
Old Jul 10, '07, 6:01 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
I love CHildren's literature! My favorite writers are C.S. Lewis, JK Rowling (braces self for flames), and Roald Dahl.
OK: I'll flame you for Roald Dahl. What's with that RIDICULOUS peach? Maybe you have to be British.
Old Jul 10, '07, 6:32 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
I'll back you up on the JK Rowling.

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old Jul 11, '07, 8:53 pm

<<<These are updated versions of a much older series. The original Elsie Dinsmore series is viciously anti-Catholic - so much so that when I first read it in college, I saw red. Also, the relationship between Elsie and her father in the original novels is kind of semi-incestuous. Their relationship is not physical but emotionally it is odd enough to be eyebrow raising.

All this has been taken out of the re-done Elsie books, and I read one of them. I think they are harmless, but charmless. I'd rather stick to C.S. Lewis.>>>

I have heard that, and I plan on reading the originals after I finish the rest of the new versions. However, the new versions have marked a great change in my life as a Christian. To be honest, you can read all the factual books you want and learn facts, but feelings are sometimes alot better expression in fiction. After reading the LOF books, I've become alot more devout of a Christian and have learned to have a personal relationship with Christ and God, not just a formal one. It never occured of me before reading those books that sometimes it's okay just to talk to God instead of reciting a formal prayer. And now I find myself talking to Him all the time, which has given me great peace.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
(1 Corinthians 13:13)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media