Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > TLM Motu Proprio: 2007

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 13, '07, 10:26 am
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Romanian Byzantine Catholic
Default Re: New interview with Bishop Fellay on the Motu Proprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
We pray they will come to their senses, confess their errors, repent and submit to Rome.
As much as it pains me to say this. But I personally believe that both sides are guilty of the sin of pride. But then again it is just my personal opinion.

Sometimes the grain of sand can cause more damage then a landslide.
James 4:17
Old Jul 13, '07, 10:33 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg94086 View Post
It's more than that Bob. The MP doesn't remove the animosity that both modernists and traditionalists feel toward each other. I would like to think that it would, but the reality is that there will still be a lack of unity in the Church. You will have those who favor the modern Mass, with the Worship and Praise music, handholding, etc. And, you will have people who will gravitate toward the more classically reverent Mass of either type.

Both of those groups will be pointing fingers at each other, as usual. The only people that will lighten up on the SSPX will be some in the latter group whose only problem with SSPX was their separated status.
Well that's fair. I really wasn't thinking about modernists as they've left the Church in their own way. They would honestly hate the SSPX more after reconcilliation.

My issues with the SSPX are because of their schismatic actions. Everything else I either agree with them or at least see where they're coming from.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 07
Old Jul 13, '07, 10:39 am
Suspended

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedicgirl View Post
I especially noted this part of the interview as very truthful:
It is very much different if one is a Catholic and choses to become a Protestant. Then, I would say they are a schismatic and a heretic. If they grew up as a Protestant and didn't really know any better, the term "separated brethren" is better suited. Now the SSPX since its only members are priests, presumably most were once Catholic, then we can say that they are the h and s words till they are reconciled with Rome or Rome regularizes their canonical status.
Old Jul 13, '07, 10:55 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Home View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may say "It simply isn't there"--till pigs fly. Every time you or anyone use each and every oportunity to "state a fact"----it is nothing more than painting a scarlet E on their foreheads.
Do let's try and moderate the rhetoric. It again amounts to the fact that some people come on the fora and make unfactual statements regarding the SSPX. Others then correct those statements. That isn't painting a scarlet E (?) on their foreheads. That's simply answering misinformation with information.
Old Jul 13, '07, 10:57 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtconstant View Post
You know since the MP I keep seeing this pop up and I have to ask who actually thought it was abrogated? How is it I've always known it wasn't? Was I just good? Obviously the leadership of the Church has pushed the NO which makes sense since it was created to be the normative mass but I've never had the impression that meant the TLM was abrogated. Did anyone else? Sounds like more typical SSPX drama.

Also it is my understanding that the "for all" issue is not a universal one but an English one. I could be wrong there but I've always been told that it is "for many" (or some form thereof) in most places.

Well said.
Old Jul 13, '07, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKirkLVNV View Post
Do let's try and moderate the rhetoric. It again amounts to the fact that some people come on the fora and make unfactual statements regarding the SSPX. Others then correct those statements. That isn't painting a scarlet E (?) on their foreheads. That's simply answering misinformation with information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

It is freshening up the paint.
Old Jul 13, '07, 11:18 am
Veteran Member

Quote:

It is freshening up the paint.
Oh, please! No one here is guilty of "nyah, nyah, nyah, the SSPX is schismatic!"
Old Jul 13, '07, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
It is very much different if one is a Catholic and choses to become a Protestant. Then, I would say they are a schismatic and a heretic. If they grew up as a Protestant and didn't really know any better, the term "separated brethren" is better suited. Now the SSPX since its only members are priests, presumably most were once Catholic, then we can say that they are the h and s words till they are reconciled with Rome or Rome regularizes their canonical status.

So you and some others have taken it upon yourselves to call the SSPX the h word. . When you apply the h word to the the SSPX ---you are in essence applying it to the pre--Vat II Church----and to every person who lived ---was nourished by ---- and died within Her.

Even Jimmy Akin has not gone that far:

http://jimmyakin.typepad.com/defenso..._confirma.html

These the Lefebvrists seem to have. They have the Catholic faith, they have a valid episcopacy allowing for the valid exercise of all the other sacraments in at least some cases (e.g., when an SSPX bishop himself confirms), ..
Old Jul 13, '07, 11:29 am
Veteran Member

Quote:

So you and some others have taken it upon yourselves to call the SSPX the h word. . When you apply the h word to the the SSPX ---you are in essence applying it to the pre--Vat II Church----and to every person who lived ---was nourished by ---- and died within Her.

Even Jimmy Akin has not gone that far:

http://jimmyakin.typepad.com/defenso..._confirma.html

These the Lefebvrists seem to have. They have the Catholic faith, they have a valid episcopacy allowing for the valid exercise of all the other sacraments in at least some cases (e.g., when an SSPX bishop himself confirms), ..
They aren't heretics, they're schismatics. If you want US to be careful with accuracy, then do so yourself and admit they're in schism (like the Orthodox).
Old Jul 13, '07, 11:42 am

Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

These SSPX threads are getting ridiculous. It's all more of the same, with the same people shouting each other down. I wish the mods would place a moratorium on SSPX threads until after Sept 14.
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Jul 13, '07, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKirkLVNV View Post
Oh, please! No one here is guilty of "nyah, nyah, nyah, the SSPX is schismatic!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really now. Some people ---at even the mention of the SSPX--are more than willing to slap Ecclesia Dei on the table ---. Then the re-enforcements show up---it schism, schism, schism.
Old Jul 13, '07, 11:59 am

Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

Quote:

Really now. Some people ---at even the mention of the SSPX--are more than willing to slap Ecclesia Dei on the table ---. Then the re-enforcements show up---it schism, schism, schism.
Really? You've noticed that too? You forgot Protestant and heretics, the two most recent name calling tricks from the SSPX bashers.
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Jul 13, '07, 12:08 pm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Home

Really? You've noticed that too? You forgot Protestant and heretics, the two most recent name calling tricks from the SSPX bashers.

Covered the "heretics" trick in post 68.
Old Jul 13, '07, 12:10 pm

Religion: Catholic

I don't suppose that those who defend the SSPX have ever considered that if they didn't bring them up/try to say they aren't in schism/Thank God for them as heroes of the Church that the rest of us probably would never bring them up? I know I don't think about them until I hit the Traditional boards and to be honest I'm tired of hearing about them.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 07
Old Jul 13, '07, 12:19 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
These SSPX threads are getting ridiculous. It's all more of the same, with the same people shouting each other down. I wish the mods would place a moratorium on SSPX threads until after Sept 14.
I haven't heard any shouting, though I've read a bit of "drama." Maybe we should all make a deal. If people will stop spreading MISinformation regarding the SSPX, other people can stop correcting that misinformation. Pretty simple.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > TLM Motu Proprio: 2007