Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Oct 10, '07, 2:33 am
Holly3278's Avatar
Holly3278 Holly3278 is offline
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 21, 2005
Posts: 20,560
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Exclamation Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Every Catholic and Christian should boycott the Susan G. Komen foundation, a foundation dedicated to reaching a cure for breast cancer. "Why?" you may ask. Because the Susan G. Komen foundation has direct links to abortion and Planned Parenthood, the leading provider of abortions in the United States and possibly the entire world. Apparently the Susan G. Komen foundation has given grants to Planned Parenthood in the past and continues to do so till this day. Here is some links:

http://www.lifeissues.org/AbortionBr...fact_sheet.pdf

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialRe...20050222a.html

http://www.operationoutcry.org/artic...&columnid=2073

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_G..._and_criticism

Take Action! Contact the Susan G. Komen foundation today with your concerns here:

http://cms.komen.org/stellent/contacts.aspx

Also, boycott the Susan G. Komen foundation and any products that donate moneys to them as well. You usually will know which products donate money to them as they will have pink on the product label and will usually mention their so called "good deeds" of donating to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

God bless,
Holly
__________________


"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX


Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Oct 10, '07, 7:39 pm
Newbie2 Newbie2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 21, 2007
Posts: 7,361
Religion: RC
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

What is the best alternative then to support breast cancer research?
__________________
N2
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Oct 10, '07, 9:16 pm
Bella3502 Bella3502 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 6, 2005
Posts: 655
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Every Catholic and Christian should boycott the Susan G. Komen foundation, a foundation dedicated to reaching a cure for breast cancer. "Why?" you may ask. Because the Susan G. Komen foundation has direct links to abortion and Planned Parenthood, the leading provider of abortions in the United States and possibly the entire world. Apparently the Susan G. Komen foundation has given grants to Planned Parenthood in the past and continues to do so till this day. Here is some links:

http://www.lifeissues.org/AbortionBr...fact_sheet.pdf

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialRe...20050222a.html

http://www.operationoutcry.org/artic...&columnid=2073

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_G..._and_criticism

Take Action! Contact the Susan G. Komen foundation today with your concerns here:

http://cms.komen.org/stellent/contacts.aspx

Also, boycott the Susan G. Komen foundation and any products that donate moneys to them as well. You usually will know which products donate money to them as they will have pink on the product label and will usually mention their so called "good deeds" of donating to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

God bless,
Holly
I (like most people) totally disagree and will continue to support all of the above.
__________________
Apparently, you CAN be ...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Oct 10, '07, 10:01 pm
melensdad's Avatar
melensdad melensdad is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 17, 2007
Posts: 2,712
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

I'm not really sure how to boycott them in any EFFECTIVE manner.

I think a letter writing campaign would be far more effective if we pointed out that we love the cancer research but feel they have dirtied their hands by supporting Planned Parenthood. Giving them money legitimizes their main purpose, which is abortion. Consequently the good done by the Komen Foundation is undone by association.

Let them hear that message several thousand times and they might take a step back and more carefully consider groups they associate with!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Oct 11, '07, 2:44 am
Melo Melo is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 21, 2007
Posts: 170
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
I'm not really sure how to boycott them in any EFFECTIVE manner.

I think a letter writing campaign would be far more effective if we pointed out that we love the cancer research but feel they have dirtied their hands by supporting Planned Parenthood. Giving them money legitimizes their main purpose, which is abortion. Consequently the good done by the Komen Foundation is undone by association.

Let them hear that message several thousand times and they might take a step back and more carefully consider groups they associate with!
That is a good suggestion. Maybe if the message is heard, they might re-think their contributions to Planned Parenthood.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Oct 11, '07, 1:28 pm
melensdad's Avatar
melensdad melensdad is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 17, 2007
Posts: 2,712
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo View Post
That is a good suggestion. Maybe if the message is heard, they might re-think their contributions to Planned Parenthood.
Well I think there must be some way to get the message heard.

Don't misunderstand, I have no problem with boycotting a company, but I am not sure that there is an effective way to actually boycott a foundation. Given that, then it seems the logical option is to go to the original posters post and send a well thought out email to the link that was provided.

Further, most emails are ignored but when they arrive in large quantities then they cannot be ignored. Still harder to ignore is a simple letter. Just a 1/2 page handwritten letter on regular paper is far more effective 100 emails. But 1000 letters sent by traditional postal mail would be very hard to ignore indeed.

Susan G Komen Foundation
5005 LBJ Freeway, Suite 250
Dallas, TX 75244
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Oct 11, '07, 1:48 pm
Philothea53 Philothea53 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: July 4, 2007
Posts: 1,039
Religion: Catholic-one, holy, catholic, apostolic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella3502 View Post
I (like most people) totally disagree and will continue to support all of the above.
Like MOST people? I hardly think so. Especially not Catholics who believe in the sanctity of life. Every penny that Komen gives to Planned Parenthood for mammograms frees up other PP money for abortions and abortofacient contraceptives. Komen knows this yet persists. There are other alternatives to Susan Komen. The best way to 'boycott' Komen is to support the others, particularly the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and the Coalition on Abortion/Breast Cancer.
__________________


A Catholic who supports a pro-abortion candidate when there
is a pro-life alternative cannot present themselves for
Holy Eucharist without repentence, confession and absolution.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Oct 11, '07, 1:55 pm
Teakafrog Teakafrog is offline
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: August 24, 2005
Posts: 9,698
Religion: Happily Catholic!
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philothea53 View Post
Like MOST people? I hardly think so. Especially not Catholics who believe in the sanctity of life. Every penny that Komen gives to Planned Parenthood for mammograms frees up other PP money for abortions and abortofacient contraceptives. Komen knows this yet persists. There are other alternatives to Susan Komen. The best way to 'boycott' Komen is to support the others, particularly the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and the Coalition on Abortion/Breast Cancer.
"Most people" don't have a problem with abortion, so yes, they give money to organizations that support it. But someone who is concerned about preventing any of their own money from going to planned barrenhood, then they would not give money to this or any other foundation that supports it. And there are a LOT of us out there!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Oct 11, '07, 8:04 pm
KathleenElsie KathleenElsie is offline
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: July 6, 2004
Posts: 7,247
Religion: Romanian Byzantine Catholic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Every Catholic and Christian should boycott the Susan G. Komen foundation, a foundation dedicated to reaching a cure for breast cancer. "Why?" you may ask. Because the Susan G. Komen foundation has direct links to abortion and Planned Parenthood, the leading provider of abortions in the United States and possibly the entire world. Apparently the Susan G. Komen foundation has given grants to Planned Parenthood in the past and continues to do so till this day. Here is some links:

http://www.lifeissues.org/AbortionBr...fact_sheet.pdf

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialRe...20050222a.html

http://www.operationoutcry.org/artic...&columnid=2073

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_G..._and_criticism

Take Action! Contact the Susan G. Komen foundation today with your concerns here:

http://cms.komen.org/stellent/contacts.aspx

Also, boycott the Susan G. Komen foundation and any products that donate moneys to them as well. You usually will know which products donate money to them as they will have pink on the product label and will usually mention their so called "good deeds" of donating to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

God bless,
Holly
Evil in sheeps clothing seems common-place. We can't support evil to do good. This is a way to get people that don't support abortions to pay for them.

Find a good teaching and research hospital then donate directly to a specific project. The Ave Maria Funds approved list of investments can help you out. They don't support anything that goes against the teachings of Holy Mother Church.
__________________
Kathleen Elsie, SMIC
TO HIM THEREFORE WHO KNOWETH TO DO GOOD AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN.
James 4:17
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Oct 11, '07, 8:12 pm
rtconstant rtconstant is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 16, 2006
Posts: 1,426
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Isn't this a bit ironic? Aren't there recent studies that show a correlation between breast cancer and abortions? I know they're not proven but the correlation is large enought that it seems like one would be concerned.

So wouldn't any money given to the foundation possibly be self defeating as long as the gave money to PP?
__________________
"Ora pro nobis, Sancta Dei Genitrix. Ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi."

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 07
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Oct 11, '07, 8:27 pm
marci marci is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2006
Posts: 878
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

A few years ago (before I knew the PP tie) a friend asked me to participate in the annual walk fundraiser. I paid my money, got my parking permit and my t-shirt in the mail. A few days before the walk, I just mentioned to my mother what I was doing that weekend and she told me about the PP thing. I called my friend and told her that I would not be participating that year or any other. Now, anytime anyone mentions the "walk" to me I tell them why I don't and will never participate or have anything to do with Komen.

Just tell people the truth when it comes up. I guarrentee many people don't know about the conection.
__________________
"No one can be at the same time a sincere Catholic and a true Socialist." Pius XII
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Oct 11, '07, 10:43 pm
Bella3502 Bella3502 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 6, 2005
Posts: 655
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakafrog View Post
"Most people" don't have a problem with abortion, so yes, they give money to organizations that support it. But someone who is concerned about preventing any of their own money from going to planned barrenhood, then they would not give money to this or any other foundation that supports it. And there are a LOT of us out there!
But not enough to make a difference.
__________________
Apparently, you CAN be ...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Oct 11, '07, 10:55 pm
Holly3278's Avatar
Holly3278 Holly3278 is offline
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 21, 2005
Posts: 20,560
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella3502 View Post
But not enough to make a difference.
I disagree. There are plenty of people to make a difference. If even just a small percentage of Catholics took action against the Susan G. Komen Foundation, that would be more than enough to possibly convince them to stop supporting Planned Parenthood.

Regardless, a faithful Catholic should not let any of their funds go to Planned Parenthood and therefore they should boycott or at least avoid the products with the pink ribbons on them.
__________________


"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX


Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Oct 12, '07, 8:21 am
Bennie P Bennie P is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 12, 2007
Posts: 2,598
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
I disagree. There are plenty of people to make a difference. If even just a small percentage of Catholics took action against the Susan G. Komen Foundation, that would be more than enough to possibly convince them to stop supporting Planned Parenthood.

Regardless, a faithful Catholic should not let any of their funds go to Planned Parenthood and therefore they should boycott or at least avoid the products with the pink ribbons on them.
We just do what we can, and little by little we will get the message out. Last week my sons and I were shopping and one of them started to put a package of crackers in the basket which had a pink ribbon printed on it. I instructed him to put it back on the shelf and explained to him why. A women shopping with her daughter was near us, after hearig my explaination to my sons she passed up the same product and choose another. Just spread the word.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Oct 12, '07, 8:53 am
Newbie2 Newbie2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 21, 2007
Posts: 7,361
Religion: RC
Default Re: Boycott the Susan G. Komen Foundation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
I disagree. There are plenty of people to make a difference. If even just a small percentage of Catholics took action against the Susan G. Komen Foundation, that would be more than enough to possibly convince them to stop supporting Planned Parenthood.

Regardless, a faithful Catholic should not let any of their funds go to Planned Parenthood and therefore they should boycott or at least avoid the products with the pink ribbons on them.
Sorry to be repetative, but what's the best way then to support breast cancer research? I'm not advocating indirectly supporting PP, but you just can't tell people not to support PP without giving alternative to the SGK foundation.
__________________
N2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8479Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Weejee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3762Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3332Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3116For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:03 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.