Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 10, '04, 11:03 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to CatholicNerd
Default Prayers requested

Dear brothers and sisters,

A few days ago I received a call from my mother regarding the Ecclesia Dei Indult Mass in my home diocese/parish. The priest who drives in to say Mass had called my house attempting to speak to me about providing music for an upcoming High Mass, and unfortunately I'm 200 miles away and can't do it. He explained to my mother how important it is that people start attending the Mass, as numbers are down to 30 regular members. Apparently His Grace, the Bishop of Yakima, is having a hard time seeing the need to use diocesan funds to pay the travel/living expenses of a priest who is not "necessary" (and in these troubled times I can see his logic!).

Unfortunately, promoting the Indult Mass is going to be very difficult. The priests at the parish where it is held are not sympathetic to the community's interests, and they only tolerate the Tridentine Mass because Bishop Sevilla and Rome tell them they have to. Unfortunately, the rather influential "music" director of the parish is on some personal crusade to "Eradicate the Latin Mass" (YIKES) and has pretty much forbidden the parish musicians to sing or play there. The other parishes in the area don't even advertise for the Mass so I doubt if people know about it.

This is the only Indult Mass available in Eastern Washington State, as Bishop Skylstad of Spokane refuses to permit the celebration of the Tridentine Mass in the Diocese of Spokane, despite the presence of countless schismatic and sedevacantist communities. Your prayers are needed to keep this beautiful Mass viable in Eastern Washington. Pray that somehow money will be made available for several TLM supports in the area to start a Mass media campaign to promote the Tridentine Mass. Or something. Anything. Thanks very much!
We pray for the children of God condemned to death by the unjust judgement of men: that the Lord our God would soften the hearts of those who seek their violent destruction, and rescue those who are being led forth to the slaughter, we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy!
Old Nov 10, '04, 11:17 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic of course...
Arrow Re: Prayers requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicNerd
Dear brothers and sisters,

A few days ago I received a call from my mother regarding the Ecclesia Dei Indult Mass in my home diocese/parish. The priest who drives in to say Mass had called my house attempting to speak to me about providing music for an upcoming High Mass, and unfortunately I'm 200 miles away and can't do it. He explained to my mother how important it is that people start attending the Mass, as numbers are down to 30 regular members. Apparently His Grace, the Bishop of Yakima, is having a hard time seeing the need to use diocesan funds to pay the travel/living expenses of a priest who is not "necessary" (and in these troubled times I can see his logic!).

Unfortunately, promoting the Indult Mass is going to be very difficult. The priests at the parish where it is held are not sympathetic to the community's interests, and they only tolerate the Tridentine Mass because Bishop Sevilla and Rome tell them they have to. Unfortunately, the rather influential "music" director of the parish is on some personal crusade to "Eradicate the Latin Mass" (YIKES) and has pretty much forbidden the parish musicians to sing or play there. The other parishes in the area don't even advertise for the Mass so I doubt if people know about it.

This is the only Indult Mass available in Eastern Washington State, as Bishop Skylstad of Spokane refuses to permit the celebration of the Tridentine Mass in the Diocese of Spokane, despite the presence of countless schismatic and sedevacantist communities. Your prayers are needed to keep this beautiful Mass viable in Eastern Washington. Pray that somehow money will be made available for several TLM supports in the area to start a Mass media campaign to promote the Tridentine Mass. Or something. Anything. Thanks very much!
It's up to those 30 regular members to band together and accept responsibility for supporting this Mass if indeed it is so important to them.

First, these people should assume the actual travel and living expenses of the celebrating priest. Perhaps the priest could stay in the extra bedroom of one or more of the faithful on different weekends? Shoulder this responsibility and it no longer becomes and issue.

Second, get the word out. The more people that join the existing 30, the easier it will be for each to financially support the Mass.

Third, consider creating a group with a very simple monthly newsletter. Perhaps this group could charge an annual membership fee that would go strictly to the newsletter and the expenses listed above.

Fouth, see if the Mass can be moved to another parish that is more accomodating.

Fifth, actively seek-out ministries (such as musical) that will help at no charge.

Sixth, and most importantly, pray, pray and pray some more.

If a a group was formed that provided the funds and ministries for the Tridentine Mass celebration, bishops/priests would have a difficult time discontinuing the practice...

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions