Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 27, '08, 11:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Creighton Model NFP ?? (TMI WARNING)

I have been having longer and longer pre-peak mucus cycle. Last month it began THE DAY after AF and I don't typically peak until day 18-23, my cycles are about 31-34 days long. As we are TTA, this doesn't leave a whole lot of available days for.......you know! It's frustrating for myself and for DH. From my creighton book, the only mention of it noted that it can be associated with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Well I don't have any of the symptoms related to that (with the exception of ovarian cysts). According to the site I read it said POS is always related to irregular or missed periods. I just saw an NFP dr regarding the ovarian cysts and am awaiting the results of progesterone test results.

My question is this: Has this happened to you? Did it go away? Did you do anything to 'treat' it (see NFP dr/OB)? Any light you can shed on this subject will be welcomed!

I am not asking for medical advice......simply asking for your experiences.
Old Feb 28, '08, 4:20 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Creighton Model NFP ?? (TMI WARNING)

I have had cycles like that- probably for almost a year while we've been using the Creighton model. In our case it was easy to see that that first mucus was of different quality and quantity than my actual peak type mucus after very close observation. We are trying to TTC so our instructions were different, obviously, but my consultant did indicate that based on that ongoing pattern it seemed unlikely that those days were fertile. I would suggest you see if your consultant can meet with you to look at your charts and see if there has been a change.

Based on what you say about your chart (NO MEDICAL ADVICE HERE) it doesn't match what was happening with my cycles that gave the indication of PCOS. I had long stretches of mucus, but no peak. I had 80-90 days of white baby stickers, a few green babies, more white babies and then maybe a period. It didn't follow the usual pattern at all.
Old Feb 28, '08, 5:57 am

Religion: catholic

Are you breastfeeding Is is just mucus or pre-peak mucus ( stretchy, clear, lubractive?)
Old Feb 28, '08, 6:31 am

Have you had previous children? The reason I ask is a friend had this problem and visited Dr. Hilgers in Nebraska. He found that her cervix had closed with some tissue on the outside. He fixed it somehow (??) and it reduced the amount of pre-peak mucous.

I also have a lot of pre-peak mucous, but since I'm still willing and able to have more, I have not done what my friend did. When we avoid, we really have to take advantage of the post-peak days! Since I'm expecting #8, you can guess that we really don't like to avoid. There was a time that we abstained for quite a while as I had a very sick infant to care for and did not need to be pregnant, but we found intimacy in other less physical ways. Just one of those crosses!

I hope you find your answer.
Old Feb 28, '08, 8:06 am

Blessed - I am not BF at this time I weaned my youngest almost 5 months ago. And yes it it stretchy, lub and C/K - C.

MommaMary - Since 2002 I've been pg 4 times, 1 miscarriage & 3 live births so I'm guessing that probably isn't me

Chovy - There were a couple of times that I did notice it wasn't the same consistency but the last 3 cycles once it starts it is like the mucus you see 3-4 days before peak (8-10c/k 1-2x day).

Thanks for your responses.
Old Feb 28, '08, 8:13 am

I'm NOT a Creighton user... sympto-thermal here...
But I have had months with similar mucous patterns.
That is when I really learned to appreciate the cervical position checks in the sympto-thermal method. I hadn't paid much attention to that sign prior to this happening, because I always had very good mucous-reads... but like you mentioned, those months got a little frustrating.
I started studying more and more about the cervical position checks and that seemed to really help us get through those challenging months (if I do remember correctly, it was in the months after my boys weaned from nursing... not sure if that's a normal thing to happen? )...

Maybe worth looking into some sympto-thermal material for a few months...
Here are some good resources...
This book is great... http://tcoyf.com/... it's not morally-based, so ignore the fact it recommends using barrier methods during ovulation... but it's medically very complete.
Also this site is good...http://nfpandmore.com/nfphowto.shtml
The free how-to manual is on that page... I think "part 2" should have the information... page 19 is where it starts talking about the cervix checks...

HTH! Good luck!

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Feb 28, '08, 8:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceISgolden View Post

MommaMary - Since 2002 I've been pg 4 times, 1 miscarriage & 3 live births so I'm guessing that probably isn't me

Thanks for your responses.

Actually, you sound a lot like my friend. She had multiple pregnancies: a still born, a miscarriage, a pre-term baby and 4 healthy babes. It was after the pregnancies that the issue arose. Dr. Hilgers directly linked the problem causing extra mucous to her multiple pregnancies.

I'm not saying this is your situation, but another possible reason besides PCOS (or whatever those initials are!)
Old Feb 28, '08, 10:33 am

Well this probably won't help you much.. I have peak type mucus everyday pre-peak.. I am breastfeeding though. My instructor did mention that sometimes if the cervix is "damaged' from birth or whatev that it can cause that continuos type mucus pattern. There is something they can do to correct that but I can't remember what she told me about it since it doesnt bother me and we have learned to distingiush it from acutal peak mucus,,,
Can your instructor help? Or is their a crieghton practicing doc near you???? GOOD luck.. I can imagine its very trying though!!! We did several months of abstaining till post peak and its rough!!!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting