Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 16, '08, 8:40 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Charismatic Healing Mass

Has anyone attended one of these? I've been thinking of going to one since i just found out I'm partially infertile (I was diagnosed with endometriosis 8 wks ago) and I lost our only baby to a miscarriage 6.5 months ago and I still get depressed about it.

I don't know if this is something for me. I don't really believe in the charismatic movement because I've never experienced it, but I'm open for it all. Right now I'm just asking for a miracle. We have been trying to have a baby since April of last yr and after our miscarriage in Decemnber, we haven't gotten pregnant (now I know it's because of the endo and it makes pregnancy almost impossible and very risky )

So, can you share your experience? What should I expect? Or should I not go (since I don't believe -yet- in the movement)?
Old Jun 16, '08, 9:24 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

I go at least once a year, my parish hosts them every three months. It is extremely moving...3 sacraments are celebrated- reconciliation, annointing of the sick, and communion.. it begins with priest leading you into a deep meditation, followed by reconcilation..then the Mass begins afterwards... I've never felt more at peace...I was sceptical at first...but now I look forward to them...God bless you...
Old Jun 16, '08, 9:30 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Thanks for sharing snowball! I didn't know they had reconciliation. I better get a list out so I can have a good confession! It sounds like you have had a good experience.

It's really close to my house (it's in my town), so I might as well go.
Old Jun 17, '08, 3:18 am
Banned

Id go what do you have to lose?

I went to one tonight . I got prayed for , for neck pain. I felt something happen, it almost felt like how it feels when you put icy hot on your muscles...

I suggest you go
Old Jun 17, '08, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessisan View Post
Has anyone attended one of these? I've been thinking of going to one since i just found out I'm partially infertile (I was diagnosed with endometriosis 8 wks ago) and I lost our only baby to a miscarriage 6.5 months ago and I still get depressed about it.

I don't know if this is something for me. I don't really believe in the charismatic movement because I've never experienced it, but I'm open for it all. Right now I'm just asking for a miracle. We have been trying to have a baby since April of last yr and after our miscarriage in Decemnber, we haven't gotten pregnant (now I know it's because of the endo and it makes pregnancy almost impossible and very risky )

So, can you share your experience? What should I expect? Or should I not go (since I don't believe -yet- in the movement)?

I promise you that you believing or not believing is immaterial. A charismatic healing mass is a catholic mass...just understand that you are going to mass.

I for one have seen miracles in and out of the charismatic movement (since the mid 70's).

So........just go. And don't worry that you'll have to do anything different from what you normally do at mass. The Eucharist is still the focus and center of the mass.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
Old Jun 17, '08, 1:58 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
I promise you that you believing or not believing is immaterial. A charismatic healing mass is a catholic mass...just understand that you are going to mass.

I for one have seen miracles in and out of the charismatic movement (since the mid 70's).

So........just go. And don't worry that you'll have to do anything different from what you normally do at mass. The Eucharist is still the focus and center of the mass.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
Yup.

Going to a charismatic healing Mass doesn't necessarily mean you'll be healed -- that's not up to us. Placing our trust in God and being open to the Holy Spirit moving within us according to God's will is all you have to do.
Old Jun 17, '08, 3:13 pm

My Grandma is part of one of these Charasmatic prayer groups and they pray with people and sometimes go to these healing masses. I wasn't sure what to think but I was surprised to learn not to long ago that a couple of miraculus healings have taken place.

One lady I am told had brain cancer and a large tumor on it. It was inoperable and she was told she had only a couple months to live. I am not sure if she just went to my Grandma's group or an actual mass. Anyway she went to the doctor the next week and it was gone. They did x-rays and the whole works and can't find any trace of the tumor. The doctor has NO explanation and is saying it has to be a miracle. This is the most dramatic healing that I've heard of through it at our parish but over all I guess there have been a few healings.

I think it is a good thing and you totally should go. It never ever hurts to go to mass.

Peace,
Sarah
Old Jun 18, '08, 10:25 am

Quote:

I don't wish to be combative, and I extend respect to everyone here, but I don't agree with the theory and practice of charismatic Masses. I consider them too 'Protestant' in nature, and out-of-context as Catholic ceremonies. IMO, and that's all it is, Mass should be solemn, and traditional. Sorry. Just my two centavos.
Old Jun 18, '08, 12:00 pm

Yessi,
Go! I go to healing masses when we have them.... and once I even got up the nerve to go forward for a blessing. It may not heal you and make you instantly fertile, but what it will definitely do is give you peace.... and you may also get physical healing too... It is not new agey or "charismatic" in the sense you are thinking. There is usually a mass with communion, prayers and then a procession of people going forward like communion but for a blessing/healing prayer... and it is very moving for sure... you can definitely feel the Holy Spirit present all around you!
Old Jun 18, '08, 12:17 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlestOne View Post
Yessi,
Go! I go to healing masses when we have them.... and once I even got up the nerve to go forward for a blessing. It may not heal you and make you instantly fertile, but what it will definitely do is give you peace.... and you may also get physical healing too... It is not new agey or "charismatic" in the sense you are thinking. There is usually a mass with communion, prayers and then a procession of people going forward like communion but for a blessing/healing prayer... and it is very moving for sure... you can definitely feel the Holy Spirit present all around you!
Absolutely! Plus, you never know what kind of spiritual healing you might be receiving that you didn't even know you needed!
Old Jun 18, '08, 12:19 pm

Religion: catholic

I would advice you not to go waiting for a miracle, just pray to accept what God wants in a charismatic Mass or a traditional one.
Old Jun 18, '08, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlfred View Post
I don't wish to be combative, and I extend respect to everyone here, but I don't agree with the theory and practice of charismatic Masses. I consider them too 'Protestant' in nature, and out-of-context as Catholic ceremonies. IMO, and that's all it is, Mass should be solemn, and traditional. Sorry. Just my two centavos.
I know how you feel because I am just a traditionalist by nature and prefer quiet masses. When you get into this kind of stuff some people get weird and make stuff up. But when I think of how many Saints we would've labeled as weird if we were to know them in modern society... Some could read souls, prophecy, cast out demons and even more than that. I'd be willing to bet some were eccentric even. I hate to admit this publicly but I would probably think they were frauds. I mean how many people run around doing this type of thing? I think we need to be careful of who or what we reject entirely when it comes to things that are of this nature. We need to default such judgement to the church, at least that is what I've decided.

Anyway I like how you quietly objected and didn't rip on everyone talking about it. I think that is the safe way to go.
Old Jun 18, '08, 4:50 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

I don't believe in the charismatic movement really, I am a very skeptical person. I have a hard time believing things they do or say but I have been wanting to attend a healing Mass and the day I was going to ask my Pastor, it was on our bulletin.

I'm only going to see how they are and if by any chance I'd get any kind of healing, even spiritual, I'm open to it. I don't expect to come out of there fertile nor expect a miracle, but I hope to come out with a better understanding of the Charismatics.

Didn't JPII accept them? If JPII can, why can't I?

Anyway, I am going to go, besides, I could use the confession. Thank you all for sharing your opinions/experiences.
Old Jun 18, '08, 9:28 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
I don't believe in the charismatic movement really, I am a very skeptical person.
I know quiet a few people having the same feeling as yours, but somehow their spiritual lives changed for the better after they attend either the Healing Mass or the retreat.
Old Jun 19, '08, 10:29 am
Book Club Member

How do supporters reconcile "Lord , I'm not worthy to recieve you, but only say the words and I shall be healed" with on the spot healings at a charismatic mass? Thanks, Tim

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality