Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jun 16, '08, 8:40 pm
yessisan yessisan is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: September 19, 2006
Posts: 4,804
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Charismatic Healing Mass

Has anyone attended one of these? I've been thinking of going to one since i just found out I'm partially infertile (I was diagnosed with endometriosis 8 wks ago) and I lost our only baby to a miscarriage 6.5 months ago and I still get depressed about it.

I don't know if this is something for me. I don't really believe in the charismatic movement because I've never experienced it, but I'm open for it all. Right now I'm just asking for a miracle. We have been trying to have a baby since April of last yr and after our miscarriage in Decemnber, we haven't gotten pregnant (now I know it's because of the endo and it makes pregnancy almost impossible and very risky )

So, can you share your experience? What should I expect? Or should I not go (since I don't believe -yet- in the movement)?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jun 16, '08, 9:24 pm
Snowball Snowball is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 17, 2007
Posts: 36
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

I go at least once a year, my parish hosts them every three months. It is extremely moving...3 sacraments are celebrated- reconciliation, annointing of the sick, and communion.. it begins with priest leading you into a deep meditation, followed by reconcilation..then the Mass begins afterwards... I've never felt more at peace...I was sceptical at first...but now I look forward to them...God bless you...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jun 16, '08, 9:30 pm
yessisan yessisan is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: September 19, 2006
Posts: 4,804
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

Thanks for sharing snowball! I didn't know they had reconciliation. I better get a list out so I can have a good confession! It sounds like you have had a good experience.

It's really close to my house (it's in my town), so I might as well go.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jun 17, '08, 3:18 am
SoulRebel777 SoulRebel777 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 7, 2004
Posts: 176
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

Id go what do you have to lose?

I went to one tonight . I got prayed for , for neck pain. I felt something happen, it almost felt like how it feels when you put icy hot on your muscles...

I suggest you go
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jun 17, '08, 1:53 pm
mangy dog mangy dog is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2007
Posts: 1,922
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessisan View Post
Has anyone attended one of these? I've been thinking of going to one since i just found out I'm partially infertile (I was diagnosed with endometriosis 8 wks ago) and I lost our only baby to a miscarriage 6.5 months ago and I still get depressed about it.

I don't know if this is something for me. I don't really believe in the charismatic movement because I've never experienced it, but I'm open for it all. Right now I'm just asking for a miracle. We have been trying to have a baby since April of last yr and after our miscarriage in Decemnber, we haven't gotten pregnant (now I know it's because of the endo and it makes pregnancy almost impossible and very risky )

So, can you share your experience? What should I expect? Or should I not go (since I don't believe -yet- in the movement)?

I promise you that you believing or not believing is immaterial. A charismatic healing mass is a catholic mass...just understand that you are going to mass.

I for one have seen miracles in and out of the charismatic movement (since the mid 70's).

So........just go. And don't worry that you'll have to do anything different from what you normally do at mass. The Eucharist is still the focus and center of the mass.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jun 17, '08, 1:58 pm
Belle10's Avatar
Belle10 Belle10 is offline
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: July 17, 2007
Posts: 4,432
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
I promise you that you believing or not believing is immaterial. A charismatic healing mass is a catholic mass...just understand that you are going to mass.

I for one have seen miracles in and out of the charismatic movement (since the mid 70's).

So........just go. And don't worry that you'll have to do anything different from what you normally do at mass. The Eucharist is still the focus and center of the mass.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
Yup.

Going to a charismatic healing Mass doesn't necessarily mean you'll be healed -- that's not up to us. Placing our trust in God and being open to the Holy Spirit moving within us according to God's will is all you have to do.
__________________
Wife to S, Mommy to L (8), T (5), E (3) and Marion 11/06 and expecting another miracle 10-2014
Hillair Creations on Etsy: custom, handmade rosaries and jewelry
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jun 17, '08, 3:13 pm
Coreopisis Coreopisis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 24, 2007
Posts: 434
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

My Grandma is part of one of these Charasmatic prayer groups and they pray with people and sometimes go to these healing masses. I wasn't sure what to think but I was surprised to learn not to long ago that a couple of miraculus healings have taken place.

One lady I am told had brain cancer and a large tumor on it. It was inoperable and she was told she had only a couple months to live. I am not sure if she just went to my Grandma's group or an actual mass. Anyway she went to the doctor the next week and it was gone. They did x-rays and the whole works and can't find any trace of the tumor. The doctor has NO explanation and is saying it has to be a miracle. This is the most dramatic healing that I've heard of through it at our parish but over all I guess there have been a few healings.

I think it is a good thing and you totally should go. It never ever hurts to go to mass.

Peace,
Sarah
__________________
~Sarah
"Courage is not the absense of fear but the strength to do what is right in the face of it." ~ Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jun 18, '08, 10:25 am
KingAlfred KingAlfred is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 9, 2008
Posts: 1,724
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessisan View Post
Has anyone attended one of these? I've been thinking of going to one since i just found out I'm partially infertile (I was diagnosed with endometriosis 8 wks ago) and I lost our only baby to a miscarriage 6.5 months ago and I still get depressed about it.

I don't know if this is something for me. I don't really believe in the charismatic movement because I've never experienced it, but I'm open for it all. Right now I'm just asking for a miracle. We have been trying to have a baby since April of last yr and after our miscarriage in Decemnber, we haven't gotten pregnant (now I know it's because of the endo and it makes pregnancy almost impossible and very risky )

So, can you share your experience? What should I expect? Or should I not go (since I don't believe -yet- in the movement)?
I don't wish to be combative, and I extend respect to everyone here, but I don't agree with the theory and practice of charismatic Masses. I consider them too 'Protestant' in nature, and out-of-context as Catholic ceremonies. IMO, and that's all it is, Mass should be solemn, and traditional. Sorry. Just my two centavos.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jun 18, '08, 12:00 pm
BlestOne BlestOne is offline
 
Join Date: March 6, 2005
Posts: 7,780
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

Yessi,
Go! I go to healing masses when we have them.... and once I even got up the nerve to go forward for a blessing. It may not heal you and make you instantly fertile, but what it will definitely do is give you peace.... and you may also get physical healing too... It is not new agey or "charismatic" in the sense you are thinking. There is usually a mass with communion, prayers and then a procession of people going forward like communion but for a blessing/healing prayer... and it is very moving for sure... you can definitely feel the Holy Spirit present all around you!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jun 18, '08, 12:17 pm
Belle10's Avatar
Belle10 Belle10 is offline
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: July 17, 2007
Posts: 4,432
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlestOne View Post
Yessi,
Go! I go to healing masses when we have them.... and once I even got up the nerve to go forward for a blessing. It may not heal you and make you instantly fertile, but what it will definitely do is give you peace.... and you may also get physical healing too... It is not new agey or "charismatic" in the sense you are thinking. There is usually a mass with communion, prayers and then a procession of people going forward like communion but for a blessing/healing prayer... and it is very moving for sure... you can definitely feel the Holy Spirit present all around you!
Absolutely! Plus, you never know what kind of spiritual healing you might be receiving that you didn't even know you needed!
__________________
Wife to S, Mommy to L (8), T (5), E (3) and Marion 11/06 and expecting another miracle 10-2014
Hillair Creations on Etsy: custom, handmade rosaries and jewelry
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jun 18, '08, 12:19 pm
tessi tessi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2008
Posts: 165
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

I would advice you not to go waiting for a miracle, just pray to accept what God wants in a charismatic Mass or a traditional one.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jun 18, '08, 3:18 pm
Coreopisis Coreopisis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 24, 2007
Posts: 434
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlfred View Post
I don't wish to be combative, and I extend respect to everyone here, but I don't agree with the theory and practice of charismatic Masses. I consider them too 'Protestant' in nature, and out-of-context as Catholic ceremonies. IMO, and that's all it is, Mass should be solemn, and traditional. Sorry. Just my two centavos.
I know how you feel because I am just a traditionalist by nature and prefer quiet masses. When you get into this kind of stuff some people get weird and make stuff up. But when I think of how many Saints we would've labeled as weird if we were to know them in modern society... Some could read souls, prophecy, cast out demons and even more than that. I'd be willing to bet some were eccentric even. I hate to admit this publicly but I would probably think they were frauds. I mean how many people run around doing this type of thing? I think we need to be careful of who or what we reject entirely when it comes to things that are of this nature. We need to default such judgement to the church, at least that is what I've decided.

Anyway I like how you quietly objected and didn't rip on everyone talking about it. I think that is the safe way to go.
__________________
~Sarah
"Courage is not the absense of fear but the strength to do what is right in the face of it." ~ Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jun 18, '08, 4:50 pm
yessisan yessisan is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: September 19, 2006
Posts: 4,804
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

I don't believe in the charismatic movement really, I am a very skeptical person. I have a hard time believing things they do or say but I have been wanting to attend a healing Mass and the day I was going to ask my Pastor, it was on our bulletin.

I'm only going to see how they are and if by any chance I'd get any kind of healing, even spiritual, I'm open to it. I don't expect to come out of there fertile nor expect a miracle, but I hope to come out with a better understanding of the Charismatics.

Didn't JPII accept them? If JPII can, why can't I?

Anyway, I am going to go, besides, I could use the confession. Thank you all for sharing your opinions/experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jun 18, '08, 9:28 pm
water water is offline
Senior Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: September 10, 2006
Posts: 6,973
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessisan View Post
I don't believe in the charismatic movement really, I am a very skeptical person.
I know quiet a few people having the same feeling as yours, but somehow their spiritual lives changed for the better after they attend either the Healing Mass or the retreat.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jun 19, '08, 10:29 am
TOP TOP is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 22, 2005
Posts: 3,139
Default Re: Charismatic Healing Mass

How do supporters reconcile "Lord , I'm not worthy to recieve you, but only say the words and I shall be healed" with on the spot healings at a charismatic mass? Thanks, Tim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Sunday Mass; isn't a personal relationship enough? wtcushman Ask an Apologist 1 Jun 15, '08 11:55 am



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8547Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Eungang
5208CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4435Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3871SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3848Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3410Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3302Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3155For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Paulette60



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:34 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.