Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 10, '08, 3:07 pm
Catholic Answers Apologist

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is CAF liberal or conservative?

CAF is an outreach project of Catholic Answers, a lay-run Catholic apostolate. Liberal and conservative are political terms and should be avoided, whenever possible, when indicating allegiance to the Church. CAF is a Catholic site. Period.
Old Apr 16, '08, 5:48 pm

Default Is posting about problems scandalous or sinful?

From a spouse who isn't fulfilling his or her obligations to a priest who is giving poor advice in the confessional to an employer who is acting unethically, it is not uncommon to see a thread by an anonymous poster that explains a problematic situation in his or her life and asks for advice on how to best address it.

It is equally common to see the person be told that posting about a problem with his or her spouse, priest, employer, family, friend, etc., is sinful and scandalous. Even if the facts are true and necessary for understanding the problem, the response is that posting about it at all is commiting the sin of gossip or detraction. Even if it is completely anonymous, the response is that it casts aspersions on all spouses or priests and is also scandalous.

Could you please comment on these accusations and any truth they contain? Is it sinful to post problems in one's life to look for advice from other Catholics?

Last edited by Michelle Arnold; Apr 17, '08 at 11:28 am.
Old Apr 17, '08, 11:45 am
Catholic Answers Apologist

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is posting about problems scandalous or sinful?

I can only say that it depends on the post. Here are some questions posters might want to ask themselves before posting about personal problems they are experiencing with private individuals:
  • Is this necessary? (Can I get the answers I need from offline sources I can trust?)
  • Is this constructive? (Am I seeking to solve this problem or merely to rant about it?)
  • Will the person I am complaining about recognize himself in the post? (Is the information I am giving about the problem too specific?)
  • Am I as anonymous as I think I am? If not, will that "out" the person I am complaining about? (Can posters piece together who I am or where I am from, and thus who I am complaining about, by reading through my profile and posting history?)
  • Have I given every benefit of the doubt to the person about whom I am complaining? (Or am I painting his character only in black?)
  • Is the problem too intimate for public consumption? (Does it discuss highly-personal information that would embarrass a family member who should be able to rely upon my public discretion?)
  • Is it appropriate for the information to remain online for an extended period of time? (If the problem likely is temporary in nature, how will I feel about it remaining online potentially forever -- particularly since most discussion forums lack the time and resources to accommodate me in removing posts I no longer want online?)
After considering these questions, the poster must make an informed choice about whether or not it is prudent to post on the Internet about the problem he is experiencing. Anyone posting online should be highly cautious and prudent about the topics he chooses to discuss with strangers on the Internet.

Recommended reading:

Personally Identifiable Data by CAF

Last edited by Michelle Arnold; Apr 17, '08 at 11:56 am.
Old Jul 22, '08, 10:35 am
Administrator

Default Re: Ask an Apologist forum activity

How to Ask a Question in the Ask an Apologist (AAA) Forum:

Quote:
1.) Read the AAA Rules, Procedures, Tips, Options thread for an overview of the board.

2.) Go to the Ask Your Question Here forum.

3.) Start a new thread by clicking the "new thread" button in the upper left.

4.) Give your thread a title in the form of a question.

5.) Type your question in the message box. Strive to keep it brief.

6.) After checking for spelling, grammar, and completeness, press the "Submit Message" button below the text box.

7.) Periodically check the AAA forum to see if your thread is selected and answered.

8.) If it isn't selected or if you want to be sure to receive an answer, contact Catholic Answers directly.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist