Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 27, '08, 1:42 am

Default Patron Saint of Epilepsy?

I was wondering if anybody knew who the Patron Saint of Epilepsy is? I have been diagnosed with Epilepsy since 1996 and I am currently on medication and haven't had a full-blown seizure in over a year. I still have absence seizures (which is where your mind just goes blank for a few seconds and you barely notice it). I need to know who this Saint is. I need to pray and, only by the Grace of God, will my Epilepsy be fully cured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. God bless you all.

Curtis
Old Jul 27, '08, 6:10 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Patron Saint of Epilepsy?

Curtis,

I have found two saints thats that are patron saints of epilepsy. These were found on www.catholiconline.com They are:

St.Dymphna - those suffering for nervous and mental affictions
Feast day is May 15 (most recognized)

St. Vitus - patron of epileptics, those afflicted with St. Vitus' Dance (named after him}, dancers, and actors, and is a protector against storms.
Feast day is June 15th

I have had epilepsy since I was two. I can have any type of seizure from absence seizure to convulsions (grand mal) and I have been on the same two medications all of my life. I have tried the newer drugs and they do not work. I am active in Church and the Knights of Columbus. I believe that epilepsy can either make you better. It has made me recognize the person for who he/she is and not the disablity they have.

God gives us as much as we can handle. There is some Divine reason why I have epilepsy. I know my epilepsy makes me a better person.
Old Jul 27, '08, 10:25 am

Religion: catholic

Epilelepsy having to do with alterations in the brain circuits and flow of electricity/energy , would seem Holy Spirit and His control through all the means Mother Church brings us would be good ; thus asking Bl.Mother to intercede and directly asking Holy Spirit to come and take 'charge' ... , all would be good !

July as month of devotion to the Precious Blood , with its cleansing, healing protecting blessings The Father wants His children to have .....pleading with Him for the same Preciuos Blood to flow back into generations ...and to protect the coming generations ....

There is Bl.( soon to be canonised saint ) Sr.Alphonsa
http://www.alphonsa.net/

Also considered as special patron of mentally challeneged and in many such sitautions the pathology can even be similar to that in epilelpsy .

She was a school teacher too and may be a good person to ask for help in learning spiritual means and lessons ; she was allowed the sufferings of often being misunderstood , ignored etc ; yet , like our Lord , she too was in the company of The Holy Spirit , to have the Father's Love ...and the joy that comes with it ...

may The Spirit take control of our lives too ..and thus help us too to take all sufferings with peace and to help to turn stubborn wills to God and His ways , to be freed from the clutch of you know who !

Blessings !
Old Jul 27, '08, 11:22 am

Religion: catholic

And one of these days she ( Sr.Alphonsa ) would help me with carelessness in spelling too - the incorrect spelling above for epilepsy is noted with apologies ! ( as to proper use of commas etc: well .... be paaaaaatient please !)

Blessings !
Old Jul 27, '08, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishouse29 View Post
I was wondering if anybody knew who the Patron Saint of Epilepsy is? I have been diagnosed with Epilepsy since 1996 and I am currently on medication and haven't had a full-blown seizure in over a year. I still have absence seizures (which is where your mind just goes blank for a few seconds and you barely notice it). I need to know who this Saint is. I need to pray and, only by the Grace of God, will my Epilepsy be fully cured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. God bless you all.

Curtis
Hello Curtis,

Here is a list of patron saints of Epilepsy:

http://saints.sqpn.com/pst00259.htm

Alban of Mainz
Anthony the Abbott
Apollinaris
Balthasar
Bibiana
Catald
Christopher
Cornelius
Dymphna
Genesius
Gerard of Lunel
Giles
Guy of Anderlecht
John Chrysostom
John the Baptist
Valentine
Vitus
Willibrord

God bless you
Old Jul 27, '08, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
Curtis,

I have found two saints thats that are patron saints of epilepsy. These were found on www.catholiconline.com They are:

St.Dymphna - those suffering for nervous and mental affictions
Feast day is May 15 (most recognized)

St. Vitus - patron of epileptics, those afflicted with St. Vitus' Dance (named after him}, dancers, and actors, and is a protector against storms.
Feast day is June 15th

I have had epilepsy since I was two. I can have any type of seizure from absence seizure to convulsions (grand mal) and I have been on the same two medications all of my life. I have tried the newer drugs and they do not work. I am active in Church and the Knights of Columbus. I believe that epilepsy can either make you better. It has made me recognize the person for who he/she is and not the disablity they have.

God gives us as much as we can handle. There is some Divine reason why I have epilepsy. I know my epilepsy makes me a better person.
Thanks for the names of those Saints. I am going to do some research on them and see which one would see more like my Patron Saint.

I am on Keppra right now. Have you tried that medication yet? It works pretty good for me. Just have quite a few absence seizures. I dont think meds will ever cure me completely though; only God can. God bless you in your fight against Epilepsy.

Curtis
Old Jul 27, '08, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymol View Post
Epilelepsy having to do with alterations in the brain circuits and flow of electricity/energy , would seem Holy Spirit and His control through all the means Mother Church brings us would be good ; thus asking Bl.Mother to intercede and directly asking Holy Spirit to come and take 'charge' ... , all would be good !

July as month of devotion to the Precious Blood , with its cleansing, healing protecting blessings The Father wants His children to have .....pleading with Him for the same Preciuos Blood to flow back into generations ...and to protect the coming generations ....

Also considered as special patron of mentally challeneged and in many such sitautions the pathology can even be similar to that in epilelpsy .

She was a school teacher too and may be a good person to ask for help in learning spiritual means and lessons ; she was allowed the sufferings of often being misunderstood , ignored etc ; yet , like our Lord , she too was in the company of The Holy Spirit , to have the Father's Love ...and the joy that comes with it ...

may The Spirit take control of our lives too ..and thus help us too to take all sufferings with peace and to help to turn stubborn wills to God and His ways , to be freed from the clutch of you know who !

Blessings !
Thanks for the name of that Saint and the website devoted to her. I will definitely look into it and learn more about her life. God bless you.

Curtis
Old Jul 27, '08, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaithSeeker View Post
Hello Curtis,

Here is a list of patron saints of Epilepsy:

http://saints.sqpn.com/pst00259.htm

Alban of Mainz
Anthony the Abbott
Apollinaris
Balthasar
Bibiana
Catald
Christopher
Cornelius
Dymphna
Genesius
Gerard of Lunel
Giles
Guy of Anderlecht
John Chrysostom
John the Baptist
Valentine
Vitus
Willibrord

God bless you
Thank you for quite the extensive list and the link as well. I will look into them all and see which Saint would fit me best as my Patron Saint. Thank you and God bless.

Curtis
Old Feb 5, '12, 6:56 pm
Trial Membership

Here is a link you might find interesting,......http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/about/st-...-patron-saints.

I found it very interesting.
Old Feb 6, '12, 6:34 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymol View Post

Blessings !
At first I didn't think Epilepsy was an actual mental disorder but it can cause mental disorders. I have a mild to moderate form of seizures that occur sometimes without warning but most times I get a warning similar to a precursor before a migraine headache like seeing aurora's and sensitivity to light. I take Dilantin as a preventative.
I also have to adjust the light level of my computer monitor to a lower setting. Strange part though is I never had seizures in my life until 9 years ago at the age of 46. Could be due to wrestling with a past traumatic time in my life.

Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which a person has repeated seizures (convulsions) over time. Seizures are episodes of disturbed brain activity that cause changes in attention or behavior.

Also: Seizures
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Epilepsy occurs when permanent changes in brain tissue cause the brain to be too excitable or jumpy. The brain sends out abnormal signals. This results in repeated, unpredictable seizures. (A single seizure that does not happen again is not epilepsy.)

Epilepsy may be due to a medical condition or injury that affects the brain, or the cause may be unknown (idiopathic).

Common causes of epilepsy include:

Stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)

Dementia, such as Alzheimer's disease

Traumatic brain injury

Infections, including brain abscess, meningitis, encephalitis, and AIDS

Brain problems that are present at birth (congenital brain defect)

Brain injury that occurs during or near bith

Metabolism disorders that a child may be born with (such as phenylketonuria)

Brain tumor

Abnormal blood vessels in the brain

Other illness that damage or destroy brain tissue

Epilepsy seizures usually begin between ages 5 and 20, but they can happen at any age. There may be a family history of seizures or epilepsy.

Peace
Chris

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality