Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 1, '08, 2:39 am

Religion: None
Send a message via MSN to ChristianKnight
Default Physical protection against demons?

I am a very...paranoid kinda person. I believe demons are real, beside you, not just trying to tempt you, but hurt you in anyway possible. Now, I might be wrong or right, either way doesn't matter but I'd like to know.

Are their physical things that help protect you?

I know praying helps, but I am talking like cross's, and such things.
Old Aug 1, '08, 3:26 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic
Default Re: Physical protection against demons?

I'll just share a small event...and you can take it or not as you will, and maybe it has some part of an answer for you, or not.

It was years ago...For some years I had begun to pray for souls, all people of the world, and of course my loved ones. I've tended to set up a prayer space wherever we've lived, and it is near where I am as I type.

My sons were still boys then, when this incident occurred. For a couple of weeks, when I went to my prayer corner, as it was then, I had the scary feeling that there was something evil lurking behind me. I said nothing of course, until my eleven-year old son said to me, "Mummy, I feel scared. I feels like something bad is around here"...it was close to his bedroom. Then with my son to protect, I knew what to do. I put my arms around him and said, "Darling, it's only an evil spirit, a bad angel. There are many more good angels than bad angels. We will ask the good angels to fill our house."

That was the end of it. Neither of us ever sensed that lurking evil again. Maybe you could just ask the angels to surround you, as my son and I did...as I say, that was the end of that brief period of evil presence. I have never sensed the presence of evil like that again.

A cross or blessed object. I don't know whether in you demomination your minister blesses objects, our priests will if asked...

But why not simply trust in the protection of God around His beloved son, yourself?

A prayer we Catholics say,
“Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in our hour of battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God restrain him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust down to hell Satan and all the wicked spirits, who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls.
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Aug 1, '08, 3:35 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKnight View Post
I am a very...paranoid kinda person. I believe demons are real, beside you, not just trying to tempt you, but hurt you in anyway possible. Now, I might be wrong or right, either way doesn't matter but I'd like to know.

Demons are like chained dogs who can do NOTHING to us unless God permits it for our own good. There is no reason to live in constant fear of being attacked. See Romans 8:28-39.

You don't need physical protection from them since they are not physical beings. What you need instead is the armor of God. (Ephesians 6:10-18)

Prayer is a very effective weapon against demons.
Old Aug 1, '08, 6:32 am
Forum Elder

A blessed St Benedict medal would be my first choice.

And, you should seek spiritual direction pronto if you believe you are under attack spiritually.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Aug 1, '08, 7:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKnight View Post

Short answer- no.
Demons aren't afraid of physical things, as they don't have physical bodies. Putting faith in physical objects to protect you from the demonic is superstition and a sin.

Long answer- used with great faith in Jesus, sacramentals (which is what you're talking about here) become channels for Divine grace. Even a St. Benedict medal (a powerful sacramental against evil) is only effective because of the great faith St. Benedict had in our Lord, and, through the communion of the saints, his intercession aids us in spiritual warfare. The medal, without faith, is just that- metal.

I would concentrate on developing a stronger prayer life before worrying about external manifestations of your faith.

Learn the St. Michael prayer, the Angel of God prayer, and learn why these are effective. Without understanding and faith, even prayer is empty.
Old Aug 1, '08, 7:53 am
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycmarie View Post
Demons are like chained dogs who can do NOTHING to us unless God permits it for our own good.
How does that make any sense for an omni-benevolent Deity to allow demons to torment someone?
Old Aug 1, '08, 8:02 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberational View Post
How does that make any sense for an omni-benevolent Deity to allow demons to torment someone?
How does is make any sense for an omni-benevolent Deity to allow any suffering at all?

The answer is, God allows such things for our own good. If this life is all there is, then suffering makes no sense at all. But in light of the fact that none of us is so perfect that we do not deserve or need suffering, it all makes sense.

There are as many reasons that God allows suffering (and that includes torment by demons) as there are people multiplied by reasons they need for purification. Perhaps someone is struggling with pride, and an attack is meant to teach them their utter dependence on God. Perhaps someone is lacking faith, or resignation, or any number of things. We can no more pick the mind of God than we can pick a star from the sky.

We can either be purified in this life or in Purgatory. I for one will gladly accept the sufferings God sends or allows here on earth, rather than to suffer without merit in Purgatory.

I recommend to you the One True Faith Podcast on suffering:

Episode Six : Pain and Suffering
Old Aug 1, '08, 8:04 am
Banned

Religion: Christian

I'd rather God intervene to stop something like a holocaust, rather than intervening by having a demon torment someone in order to teach someone not to be so prideful.

Clearly, we have different visions of God.
Old Aug 1, '08, 8:06 am
Prayer Warrior

Clearly. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion after hearing the podcast, if you have about 30 minutes to listen to it.
Old Aug 1, '08, 9:18 am

Quote:
I'd rather God intervene to stop something like a holocaust, rather than intervening by having a demon torment someone in order to teach someone not to be so prideful.

I think that it is easier for a person to die in the holocaust because of humans than to die because of the devil. On the other side I think that it is easier for a soul to become detached from God because of the devil than because of being killed by humans in a holocaust. I rather see the soul protected more than the body.

Yes, I guess we have a different understanding of what God wants from us.
Old Aug 1, '08, 9:27 am
Book Club Member

No physical object will stop them. It's God who stops them and He will if you ask. Sacramentals are a big help. Get people to pray for you. Get the house blessed.
Ár n-athair, atá ar neamh, Go naofar d'ainm. Go tdaga do riocht.Go ndéantar do thoil ar an talamh, Mar dhéantar ar neamh. Ár n-arán lathiúl tabhair dúinn inniú, Agus maith dúinn ár bhfiacha, Mar mhaithimid dár bhfeichiúnaithe féin. Agus n'a lig sinn I gcathú, ach saor sinn ó olc. Amen.
Old Aug 1, '08, 9:32 am

Quote:

Are we talking about the same God who allowed His only begotten Son to be ridiculed, tortured, and murdered? This God?

And you're wondering why *we're* allowed to suffer? Isn't it clear that there is a redemptive aspect to suffering from the example of the Passion of our Lord?
Old Aug 1, '08, 9:38 am

I would say get your house/apartment blessed by a priest, keep some holy water next to your door to bless yourself before you leave to go somewhere (we don't necessarily do this for demons, but it's a good reminder to say a prayer to keep us safe on our travels), and put a crucifix above your door.

I would also suggest reading Father Gabrielle Amorth's books on Exorcism. He goes into great detail about how demons operate, and it should give you some peace of mind.
Old Aug 1, '08, 10:03 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Z View Post
I would say get your house/apartment blessed by a priest, keep some holy water next to your door to bless yourself before you leave to go somewhere (we don't necessarily do this for demons, but it's a good reminder to say a prayer to keep us safe on our travels), and put a crucifix above your door.
Very good advice. Having one's house blessed, and blessing yourself with holy water is a good idea for anybody, regardless of whether or not they think they have demons.
Old Aug 1, '08, 10:16 am
Forum Master

Well, according to the Exorcist Priest for the Archdioceses of New York, whom I heard on EWTN a couple years ago, one way of discerning of a person was possessed by a demon, was to have the Holy Eucharist in the room. He said he would place the Eucharist in some obscure place without the person's knowledge. When the person was invited into the room, they would refuse, because something was stopping them. Once they go them into the room, the person would be very uncomfortable, and sometimes they would defecate on themselves. The priest would also offer the person a glass of Holy Water, without the person's knowledge that it was blessed water. The person would either refuse to water out of fear, or would drink it and immediately spit it out claiming it was burning their mouth.

The point is, demons do fear Holy physical objects.

So, wear a Scapular is my first suggestion. Second, have the picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in your home. Also, have a crucifix in every room. Also, have a picture of the Blessed Mother.
Have these objects blessed by a priest beforehand and if possible, have the house blessed.

Jim

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality