Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 30, '08, 6:54 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is Anti-Catholicism dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
The fallacy of sola scriptura. A really good read is Karl Keating's Catholicism and Fundamentalism. It will illuminate you as to the depths of their misleading, the very recent history of their beliefs, and how to more effectively combat their errors.

http://shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/S...ec1+1282207299

Christ's peace.
Thanks. I'll check them out.
Old Jul 30, '08, 12:42 pm
Banned

I grew up in a house without running water because, literally, my Dad refused to lie about being Catholic. I can turn on, say, Secret Life of the American Teenager, and see the Evangelical stereotype of us portrayed to a T, so no, I do not see it as dead.

But what I find interesting is that so many Catholics on these forums are directly involved in promoting Evangelical Protestantism. Didn't anyone read the DOJ's Inspector General's recent report? Believing that we are polydiest pagans was essentially a hiring criteria under the current administration.

And it should be no surprise. Every national GOP aspirant has paid homage to Bob Jones for decades. One presidential candidate spent over a year wooing the endorsement of a religious leader who does not even consider us Christian! And it took months to get the candidate to drop the endorsement - even then he repeatedly indicated that he valued the person as an "important spiritual leader".

The FAA gives out a booklet on the fundementals of teaching to aspiring flight instructors. It is worth a read. Based on those concepts, the situation probably makes sense. If you spend an hour each week in Mass, and 20-40 hours each work immersing yourself in Evangelical Protestant thought, it is only natural to start getting them confused.
Old Jul 30, '08, 5:47 pm

There will always be anti-Catholicism and attacks against the Church, for a very fundamental reason - the messages and positions of the Church are very unpopular and difficult for many in our secular society.

The Church's teachings on faith, moral and social issues are hard to accept in the "me" world - contraception, abortion, euthanasia, the existence of God as the creator of all, humility over pride, love your enemies, the Communion of Saints, Mary, male priestly ordination, the Vicar of Christ, Purgatory (whose existence implies the difficulty of the life Christ asks us to lead), the list goes on and on - very difficult teachings to accept in an immoral, prideful, and relativistic society.

It is no different than the times of Christ - he taught these to us, and look what they did to Him. Don't expect any different for His Church, ever.
Old Aug 2, '08, 3:51 am

Anti-Catholicism is alive and well.

But it is more skillful and sneaky than in olden days.
Old Aug 2, '08, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Masetti View Post
Anti-Catholicism is alive and well.

But it is more skillful and sneaky than in olden days.
I'm too young to consider myself having lived in the 'olden days.'

But considering how blatent it is now, I am wondering what the extreme of the 'olden days' was...

Are you refering to the Roman Coliseum?
Where they tossed people in to the wild animals?

Z
Old Aug 2, '08, 8:36 am

To me, it's important to defend Catholicism, and to communicate to its enemies that yes, we will defend it, at all costs. There's nothing wrong with publicly stating, when challenged:

"I would sacrifice my life in the defense of the Catholic Church, if necessary."
Old Aug 22, '08, 10:30 pm

The article cited is interesting but the many viciously anti-Catholic comments are shocking. I find that more and more I hear anti-Catholic sentiments expressed by "educated" people who I would think should know better. People who pride themselves on being "open-minded", "non-judgemental" and "tolerant" are actually unbelievably "close-minded", "judgemental", and "intolerant" about the Catholic faith. They are only "tolerant" of people who are just like them. Wait--isn't that the definition of "intolerant"?
Old Aug 22, '08, 11:21 pm

I think it is curious that for eons, the Protestants have pounded Catholics over the head with the seperation of church and state as to parochial schools (does Church and State Magazine still exist?). Is it fair to say they have been hoisted by their own petard in the public schools? They were kind of unable to silence their own rooster weren't they.

Also think it's worth mentioning we had a Catholic presidential candidate last election, (did anyone notice) and I do not remember a single eyebrow raised in the media about his potential ties to the magisterium as in the Kennedy days. Could that have been because he wasn't tied to the magisterium? The right kind of Catholic gets a free ride.
Old Aug 25, '08, 9:15 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

As long as humanity is fallen, there will be anticatholicism.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice