Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 11, '08, 9:11 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Meaning of a Broken Rosary

Fist and foremost, I would like to take all of you who have responded to my post. Please forgive me if i do not credit you all directly, as there have been many replies, you will know who i am referencing.

I have learned much of how you all perceive superstitions, and agree and dis-agree in some aspects.

In my lifetime, i have learned of a particular group of people who pray to saints, where i come from they are called "Santeros." It was one of them who told me of this "reasoning" for my rosaries to break. As i do not practice the belief of the "Santeros" I do believe God gave the saints certain missions and abilities for us to acknowledge saints themselves.

As one individual mentioned, if it should be a superstition, it is a benign one. Every night i pray for everyone on earth, so it did not take such a thing as my rosary to break to think about others. It made me focus on that particular person even more.

Also i will consider when thinking about superstitious situations, whether it can be from satan or God. As the example that was given, i agree it has to deal with the overall core of the outcome, such as either shooting someone, or thinking and praying for someone.

In response to the individual who referred to myself as using a rosary as "bling," why even respond to this post? That was an un-necessary comment. As i am not very educated in the practice of using a rosary, it has been within my family for quite some time, over generations, that we wear the rosary for protection or reminding our selves to do good in everything we do every day. I have also heard that the rosary is not to be worn. I choose to wear it to remind me and for protection.

Once again i would like to thank all who responded with their full respect and to the best of their knowledge. Also thanks to the individual who supplied the information on repairing a rosary. May everyone have a blessed day and life nevertheless.
Old Aug 11, '08, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebo86 View Post
In response to the individual who referred to myself as using a rosary as "bling," why even respond to this post? That was an un-necessary comment. As i am not very educated in the practice of using a rosary, it has been within my family for quite some time, over generations, that we wear the rosary for protection or reminding our selves to do good in everything we do every day. I have also heard that the rosary is not to be worn. I choose to wear it to remind me and for protection.
I wish you well Bebo. I don't believe Annie was trying to insult you. She was simply trying to point you in the right direction. Rosaries aren't amulets, necklaces, pendants, medallions, etc. They are simply a tool Catholics use to help them pray and meditate. They hold no supernatural power. I am sorry that you have not been exposed to what a rosary actually is and/or how to use one. However, you can now take it upon yourself to learn and then teach your family. What a blessing that would be.
Old Aug 12, '08, 6:36 pm
Observing Member

Tietjen, Thank you for your response. I will look into reading up on the use of a rosary. No one is perfect, and i think that if there is such reason as to not wear the rosary, and my family has over generations, i dont presume they did it on purpose to be rebellious to the word of the lord, i assume there has to be some reason as to why.

Thanks again, and I will take the time to understand.
Old Aug 12, '08, 10:04 pm

Religion: roman catholic

Bebo, it does seem your original post was an example of superstitious abuse of rosary beads; but please do not go too far the other way and start believing rosary beads are mere objects to help us pray and meditate. Two sources to check out:

From the Handbook of Indulgences, grant #35---

"The Christian faithful obtain a partial indulgence when they make devout use of a devotional object (such as a crucifix or cross, a rosary, a scapular, or a medal) which has been rightly blessed by any priest or deacon."

These blessed objects are NOT "simply tools to help meditate"; they have a spiritual power:

From the Catholic Encyclopedia (under "sacramental")---

"One of the most remarkable effects of sacramentals is the virtue to drive away evil spirits whose mysterious and baleful operations affect sometimes the physical activity of man. To combat this occult power the Church has recourse to exorcism and sacramentals. Another effect is the delivery of the soul from sin and the penalties therefor. Thus in the blessing of a cross the Church asks that this sacred sign may receive the heavenly blessing in order that all those who kneel before it and implore the Divine Majesty may be granted great compunction and a general pardon of faults committed. This means remission of venial sins, for the sacraments alone, with perfect contrition, possess the efficacy to remit mortal sins and to release from the penalties attached to them. St. Thomas is explicit on this point: "The episcopal blessing, the aspersion of holy water, every sacramental unction, prayer in a dedicated church, and the like, effect the remission of venial sins, implicitly or explicitly" (Summa III, Q. lxxxvii, a. 3, ad 1um). Finally the sacramentals may be employed to obtain temporal favours, since the Church herself blesses objects made use of in every-day life, e.g. the blessing of a house on which is called down the abundance of heavenly dew and the rich fruitfulness of the earth; so likewise in the benediction of the fields, in which God is asked to pour down His blessings on the harvests, so that the wants of the needy may be supplied by the fertile earth."

Quote:
They are simply a tool Catholics use to help them pray and meditate. They hold no supernatural power.
This statement, although not entirely innaccurate, is misleading.

Last edited by scriabin; Aug 12, '08 at 10:22 pm.
Old Aug 12, '08, 10:16 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

First, how silly to think that a Rosary breaking somehow has a mystical meaning.

Why in the world were you wearing your Rosary around your neck? It should have been in your pocket where it would be handy for prayer.

Have you ever prayed the Rosary or have you always used it for jewelry. And I also don't see the need to put your Rosary around your rear-view mirror.

This is just getting sillier and sillier. And please back off from the superstitious nonsense. We are Catholics, not practioners of voodoo
Old Aug 12, '08, 10:37 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenpm View Post
First, how silly to think that a Rosary breaking somehow has a mystical meaning.

Why in the world were you wearing your Rosary around your neck? It should have been in your pocket where it would be handy for prayer.

Have you ever prayed the Rosary or have you always used it for jewelry. And I also don't see the need to put your Rosary around your rear-view mirror.

This is just getting sillier and sillier. And please back off from the superstitious nonsense. We are Catholics, not practioners of voodoo
Old Aug 14, '08, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebo86 View Post
Hello to everyone reading this thread.

This has happened to me twice, that I have had a rosary break. One was around my neck under my shirt, and I was with an ex-girlfriend and it broke as we were dancing. It was safe under my shirt and out of no where it broke. I met a very religious old man one day, who was the owner of a little shop in the corner of a flea market. I explained to him the story and how my rosary broke without even touching it, while it was around my neck.

The old man explained to me that when a rosary is in your posession, and it breaks, that means someone is either upset with you, or has a very negative feeling towards you. He then began to ask me how my health and life had been after it broke, and thank God, it was fine. He then told me to speak with my ex-girlfriend and see. Sure enough she was upset about something.

The second rosary was haning on my car rear-view mirror. I saw it hanging sideways, so i reached out to fix it, and it snapped. Just before hand I was with a friend, and jokingly i disrespected her and I felt how upset she was. She told me she was not mad, she just felt disrespected. Then after is when my rosary broke, afteri left her, and when i went to touch it.

I am here today to find out, what is the meaning of when a Rosary breaks. It is a very sacred item that many of us have, and its not normal for it to break randomly.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as this is a question I would like answered to proceed in the correct manner of, if wrong has been done, that it be corrected.

Thank you all!
Pardon for sounding so "un-with it" but personally I do not believe that one should be wearing a Rosary around his or her neck. Gang members do that! I also think it is sacriligious to hang a Rosary around a car mirror. In some states putting anything around a car mirror is against the law, believe it or not (like in Illinois). If the Rosary is so sacred to you it should be placed in a sacred place for all intents and purposes. However, I always carry mine with me in my pocket so that at a moment's notice I can pray it. I would find it hard to pray it around my neck or on a car mirror. Having a Rosary is one thing; being able to pray with it and doing so is another matter.

If you want to interpret a broken Rosary as a sign of something, you are free to do that. However, rosaries break because of the way they are handled, or a defect in the making of it, or if they are placed somewhere in an awkward manner. There is nothing magical about them. If it bothers you and you feel it means something about your spiritual life which you need to look into, then that is a 'good' sign indeed.
Old Nov 22, '10, 3:24 pm
Observing Member

Default @Peary1 Re: Meaning of a Broken Rosary

@Peary1

re: "If the Rosary is so sacred to you it should be placed in a sacred place for all intents and purposes."

And hidden in your pocket is a more sacred place than over the heart or displayed hanging from a rear view mirror.... a place that for all intents and purposes makes plain two things; first that what the rosary points to is important enough for the driver that they want it in front of them at all times and second that Christ Crucified is that shinning light which the driver does not place under a basket, or in a pocket, hidden from all to see....

Seems to me you're too afraid to defend our Lord and tell a gang member that what they do is inappropriate, but not to do so for someone who wears a rosary and by doing so is almost constantly aware and reminded of what the Rosary is all about....

I have a pocket Rosary in my pocket and another small Rosary hanging from my rear view mirror. And Im hoping to find that right one to wear under my shirt.

As for requisite sacred solemnity regarding these things.... after being an Altar Boy in the 70s, and being Jesuit Educated in the 80s [minors in Philosophy & Theology], I've come to see the true beauty, sacredness and solemnity of the Extraordinary Mass and literally fight feelings of disgust and anger every time I go to a Novus Ordo Mass....

As for "However, rosaries break because of the way they are handled, or a defect in the making of it, or if they are placed somewhere in an awkward manner.".... hmmmm, true enough... almost always. But I find your assertion that God would never break one to send a sign to someone very very lacking in Faith and acknowledgment of All His Mystery. Be careful, reason is one Satan's favorite play paths into you.

AMDG
HCSKnight
Old Oct 14, '13, 9:51 pm
Trial Membership

I have had them break in my hand while just picking them up. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong...I'm not pulling... just picking up in a pile.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality