Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 24, '08, 11:47 am

Default Nancy Pelosi mistates the Church's position

on when life begins and as a self-proclaimed "ardent, practicing Catholic" offers up contraception as the solution to abortion.

From her Meet the Press interview with Tom Brokaw:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26377338/page/3/

"Help me out here, Madame Speaker. When does life begin?"

REP. PELOSI: I would say that as an ardent, practicing Catholic, this is an issue that I have studied for a long time. And what I know is, over the centuries, the doctors of the church have not been able to make that definition. And Senator--St. Augustine said at three months. We don't know. The point is, is that it shouldn't have an impact on the woman's right to choose. Roe v. Wade talks about very clear definitions of when the child--first trimester, certain considerations; second trimester; not so third trimester. There's very clear distinctions. This isn't about abortion on demand, it's about a careful, careful consideration of all factors and--to--that a woman has to make with her doctor and her god. And so I don't think anybody can tell you when life begins, human life begins. As I say, the Catholic Church for centuries has been discussing this, and there are those who've decided...

MR. BROKAW: The Catholic Church at the moment feels very strongly that it...

REP. PELOSI: I understand that.

MR. BROKAW: ...begins at the point of conception.

REP. PELOSI: I understand. And this is like maybe 50 years or something like that. So again, over the history of the church, this is an issue of controversy. But it is, it is also true that God has given us, each of us, a free will and a responsibility to answer for our actions. And we want abortions to be safe, rare, and reduce the number of abortions. That's why we have this fight in Congress over contraception.... If you want to reduce the number of abortions, and we all do, we must--it would behoove you to support family planning and, and contraception, you would think. But that is not the case. So we have to take--you know, we have to handle this as respectfully--this is sacred ground. We have to handle it very respectfully and not politicize it, as it has been--and I'm not saying Rick Warren did, because I don't think he did, but others will try to.
Old Aug 24, '08, 12:31 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Nancy Pelosi mistates the Church's position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confiteor View Post
on when life begins and as a self-proclaimed "ardent, practicing Catholic" offers up contraception as the solution to abortion.

REP. PELOSI: I would say that as an ardent, practicing Catholic, this is an issue that I have studied for a long time. And what I know is, over the centuries, the doctors of the church have not been able to make that definition. And Senator--St. Augustine said at three months. We don't know. The point is, is that it shouldn't have an impact on the woman's right to choose. Roe v. Wade talks about very clear definitions of when the child--first trimester, certain considerations; second trimester; not so third trimester. There's very clear distinctions. This isn't about abortion on demand, it's about a careful, careful consideration of all factors and--to--that a woman has to make with her doctor and her god. And so I don't think anybody can tell you when life begins, human life begins. As I say, the Catholic Church for centuries has been discussing this, and there are those who've decided...

REP. PELOSI: I understand. And this is like maybe 50 years or something like that. So again, over the history of the church, this is an issue of controversy. But it is, it is also true that God has given us, each of us, a free will and a responsibility to answer for our actions. And we want abortions to be safe, rare, and reduce the number of abortions. That's why we have this fight in Congress over contraception.... If you want to reduce the number of abortions, and we all do, we must--it would behoove you to support family planning and, and contraception, you would think. But that is not the case. So we have to take--you know, we have to handle this as respectfully--this is sacred ground. We have to handle it very respectfully and not politicize it, as it has been--and I'm not saying Rick Warren did, because I don't think he did, but others will try to.
What a disgusting way to weazel around the issue. We all have a conscience but I, for one, am sick and tired of hearing this as an excuse to do as we please. At the time of conception, a new life begins with distinct genes, etc. No wonder some of think the church itself sends mixed messages. It certainly does not help to have one of the most powerful women in the country, a professed Catholic, twist the teaching of the church in this way.
Old Aug 24, '08, 12:50 pm
Forum Master

I saw the interview and immediately recognized Nancy Pelosi misstating Catholic teaching, even St. Augustin's teaching on when life begins. The Church and St Augustin have always taught that life begins at conception.

Aside from that. I found Nancy Pelosi to be an intellectual weakling, like George Bush. See seems to lack knowledge on issues, but merely uses the sound bits of their particular party and constituents. She even lost her train of thought as she was speaking on a couple issues. I can't imagine how she was elected to congress.

Jim
Old Aug 24, '08, 1:16 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Can anybody tell me what she just said??

What a blithering bunch of mumbo jumbo. Why doen't somebody in the chain of command call her out?
Old Aug 24, '08, 2:05 pm

Nancy Pelosi mistates the Church's position? I'm shocked! Next thing you know, Ted Kennedy and Joe Biden will be doing the same!

Um....they are already?

Whoa.

Old Aug 24, '08, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
Aside from that. I found Nancy Pelosi to be an intellectual weakling, like George Bush....
Even in a thread that has nothing to do with President Bush, it is imperative to bash President Bush.

-- Mark L. Chance.
Help throw the bums out. Don't vote for a single incumbent in 2010.
Old Aug 24, '08, 2:16 pm

I think the worst problem is that she spoke as if she were representing the Church. Absent a direct rebuttal by someone in the hierarchy (Archbishop Niederauer or Archbishop Wuerl or Cardinal Levada or the Pope), her comments will mislead some and many Catholics may use this to justify their own positions and their actions.
Old Aug 24, '08, 2:27 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you want to reduce the number of abortions, and we all do, we must--.

Either abortion is wrong or it is not If one supports abortion why would they want to reduce the number?

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Aug 24, '08, 2:30 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlchance View Post
Even in a thread that has nothing to do with President Bush, it is imperative to bash President Bush.

-- Mark L. Chance.
I was thinking the same thing . We had a thread, believe it or not, that was on women's volleyball when suddenly a poster jumped in and started talking about President Bush trying to force Western values on Iraqi women. You wonder whether all these people are gping to have to go into rehab come January 20!

Getting back on topic I cannot imagine that the American Catholic bishops can let this public misstatement of Catholic doctrine go unchallenged. We shall see

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Aug 24, '08, 3:55 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Getting back on topic I cannot imagine that the American Catholic bishops can let this public misstatement of Catholic doctrine go unchallenged. We shall see

She can only be shouted down by the vote, Meet the Press is not gonna give a Bishop equal time to refute her line of thinking. Alas many Catholic's carry the water for her, and her pro abortion party, only because they hate Bush so much. Go figure.

She professes to be a devout Catholic, and what upsets me many Christians willl look at this interview and think, "I thought Catholics were against abortion? I guess the Pople waiverd?"

I might be wrong, but it is a logical conclusion- all good Catholics are anti abortion and contraception, and she is neither, by her own words. A reasonable Catholic will have to decide for him/herself if she feels it is more important for her to keep her congressional seat, or live up to her Catholic beleifs, by voting against abortion at EVERY oppurtunity.
Old Aug 24, '08, 5:44 pm
Forum Elder

Unfortunately, the two bishops best in position to correct her haven't reached this point in their priorities as Chief Teachers for their respective dioceses.

It is also disappointing to note that these were two of the first U.S. bishops appointed by Pope Benedict.
Old Aug 24, '08, 5:50 pm
Forum Elder

Next, she will pull out the USBCC document which will confuse everyone.

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Aug 24, '08, 6:18 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
I was thinking the same thing . We had a thread, believe it or not, that was on women's volleyball when suddenly a poster jumped in and started talking about President Bush trying to force Western values on Iraqi women. You wonder whether all these people are gping to have to go into rehab come January 20!

Bob, please don't hold your breath while you wait. We would miss you on the forum.
Old Aug 24, '08, 6:19 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonGrant View Post
Nancy Pelosi mistates the Church's position? I'm shocked! Next thing you know, Ted Kennedy and Joe Biden will be doing the same!

Um....they are already?

Whoa.

And while the press was tracking Biden all day, they never missed a chance to say that he is a "practicing Catholic" and went to Mass this morning.

Old Aug 25, '08, 6:25 am
Forum Elder

Two points - It is amazing when George Bush knows more about Catholicism than catholics themselves.

The press will trumpet Biden attending Mass when they look down on praticing Catholics.

This really smells.

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News