Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 25, '08, 5:02 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Can the dead communicate with the living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justasking4 View Post
Although Christ "tasted" death for all of us does not mean we can communicate with the dead.
Yes but that doesnt mean we cant either. I just believe that the dead are better off left alone. And i believe we should not try to communicate with them. Because Jesus doesnt want us to. But i do believe that when we pray and ask them for prayers, that is a way if communicating with them and they are lisening. But as far as using other means to try as far as a fortune teller, etc, is against the church. But i still stand by my comment that there is no death. I just dont believe that we are supposed to communicate with the dead, If we were God would tell us. But he tells the opposite.
Old Sep 2, '08, 8:58 pm
Inactive Member

I think that the dead can communicate with us living. They communicate in subtle ways. Think about it, demons can exist, Angels can exist on our plane. The Lord has resurrected loved ones in the Bible. Why would he allow this if it was not possible or not a good thing to do or "bad and evil." I like reading all your responses. It just makes me interested to see how many views there are out there. None right and none wrong necessarily. Just different views. Please write me if you would like to talk about things of this nature. I have a brother who is deceased. I'm going to someone who has the ability to communicate through Angels and the dead. I don't see it as a wrong thing. I really want to know what my brother wants to say to me. I'm guarding my heart and hoping high that it's not an evil demon. Certain things he says I know I'll be able to tell. John loved God. So any demon would not stand talk about the Lord but Johnny wouldn't mind. I'm keeping that in the back of my mind while I talk to her. Her name is Patricia Deweeter. Wish me luck and prayer.

Sincerely,

Angel
Old Sep 2, '08, 9:15 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: καθολικ,Obl OSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicalprince View Post
I think that the dead can communicate with us living. They communicate in subtle ways. Think about it, demons can exist, Angels can exist on our plane. The Lord has resurrected loved ones in the Bible. Why would he allow this if it was not possible or not a good thing to do or "bad and evil." I like reading all your responses. It just makes me interested to see how many views there are out there. None right and none wrong necessarily. Just different views. Please write me if you would like to talk about things of this nature. I have a brother who is deceased. I'm going to someone who has the ability to communicate through Angels and the dead. I don't see it as a wrong thing. I really want to know what my brother wants to say to me. I'm guarding my heart and hoping high that it's not an evil demon. Certain things he says I know I'll be able to tell. John loved God. So any demon would not stand talk about the Lord but Johnny wouldn't mind. I'm keeping that in the back of my mind while I talk to her. Her name is Patricia Deweeter. Wish me luck and prayer.

Sincerely,

Angel
Welcome to CAF Angel. Waht you propose to do is very dangerous. God has forbidden communication of this kind. Furthermore, it is not possible for any of us to succeed in "guarding our heart" adequately. There are spiritual forces of wickedness around us that are much more powerful than we are. If we are exposed to them, very unwanted consequences can occur. Only the blood of Christ protects us from the Evil one.

I will pray for you, but my prayer will be that you spend your energies drawing close to Christ, rather than seeking after such ungodly practices.
"The tradition of the Apostles has been made manifest throughout the world, and can be found in every Church by those who wish to know the truth." -- Irenaeus, writing about A.D. 189, on how the unity of the Church was based on the Apostolic Tradition everywhere handed down (paradosis).

Old Sep 3, '08, 8:29 am
Account Under Review

Religion: prostestant

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanophore View Post
Welcome to CAF Angel. Waht you propose to do is very dangerous. God has forbidden communication of this kind. Furthermore, it is not possible for any of us to succeed in "guarding our heart" adequately. There are spiritual forces of wickedness around us that are much more powerful than we are. If we are exposed to them, very unwanted consequences can occur. Only the blood of Christ protects us from the Evil one.

I will pray for you, but my prayer will be that you spend your energies drawing close to Christ, rather than seeking after such ungodly practices.
I'm shocked. We actually agree on something...Name:  36_1_33[1].gif
Views: 687
Size:  13.3 KB
Old Sep 3, '08, 9:46 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justasking4 View Post
I'm shocked. We actually agree on something...
In all areas where you have accepted the Apostolic Teaching, we are in agreement.
"The tradition of the Apostles has been made manifest throughout the world, and can be found in every Church by those who wish to know the truth." -- Irenaeus, writing about A.D. 189, on how the unity of the Church was based on the Apostolic Tradition everywhere handed down (paradosis).

Old Mar 21, '09, 6:26 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic

I would like someone one to guide me. I have had a very emotional experience. Let me explain. My brother has had a very troubled life, drugs, jail and the like. This past Thanksgiving I invited him to my house for the holiday. He appologized for all that he had done wrong. It was very emotional. I was also upset with the way he looked, he shook and seemed to have some mental problem due to all the years in jail and his drug use. I invited him for Christmas. I was looking forward to seeing him for Christmas, for he kept me company while I did all the shopping for Thanksgiving.
Christnas Eve 12:30 in the afternoon, I'm on a step latter decorating the tree when I get a jab on my left side, and the voice of my dead mother in my right ear saying,
"Don't worry, He's with me, I'm taking him home."
I told my husband as soon as it happened, I was crying so. It was real.

I kept calling his cell phone, no answer. I called everyone to see if they heard from he, no.
I decided to waite until after Christmas, to share the holiday with my children and grandchild, but would go to his appartment in the city the very next day.
No answer, neighbors said that they havent seen him for several days. Police would not help. Finaly on January 5th, Monday after the holidays, I was able to get in touch with his parole officer to go over to his appartment, he was found dead in his bathroom for over a week.

My mother didn't want me to worry about him, but she wanted me to know he was dead and I guess to take care of his remains?
Am I loosing my mind?? Help. because this happened and I told my husband as soon as it happened.
Old Mar 21, '09, 7:05 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzyehoshua View Post
Can the dead communicate with the living?
"He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!" (Mark 12:27)

"For an Evangelical Christian to become a Catholic is not to deny all that is good within his non-Catholic faith, but to embrace more." Fr. Dwight Longenecker
Old Mar 21, '09, 8:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzyehoshua View Post
Can the dead communicate with the living?

Below are some verses for why I do not believe they can:

Luke 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Ecclesiastes 9:4 For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.
5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.
## The Catholic doctrine does not imply that they can.

BTW, those OT verses are out-of-date - something happened after they were written & before our time: it's called the Resurrection of Jesus. You may have heard of it. Or maybe it was too trivial to be of any importance.

That's one of the many problems with book-worshippers: they prefer a tatty old book to a risen Christ, so they treat the wretched thing as if Christ were non-existent; so the book always the last word. The result:
  • Tatty Old Book 1 Jesus 0

Last edited by Gottle of Geer; Mar 21, '09 at 8:31 pm.
Old Mar 21, '09, 8:56 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottle of Geer View Post
## The Catholic doctrine does not imply that they can.

BTW, those OT verses are out-of-date - something happened after they were written & before our time: it's called the Resurrection of Jesus. You may have heard of it. Or maybe it was too trivial to be of any importance.

That's one of the many problems with book-worshippers: they prefer a tatty old book to a risen Christ, so they treat the wretched thing as if Christ were non-existent; so the book always the last word. The result:
  • Tatty Old Book 1 Jesus 0
Note the NT quote in the original post too - it says 'between US and YOU', meaning between Hell, where the Rich Man was, and the Bosom of Abraham where Abraham and Lazarus were.

Between those two realms, of course, souls cannot pass. But the quote has nothing whatsoever to do with those living on earth at all. In fact the Rich Man's request that Lazarus return to Earth implies that he understood that such could be done. Note carefully that this request is never at any point declared to be impossible,

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 23, '09, 2:47 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconnell5 View Post
I would like someone one to guide me. I have had a very emotional experience. Let me explain. My brother has had a very troubled life, drugs, jail and the like. This past Thanksgiving I invited him to my house for the holiday. He appologized for all that he had done wrong. It was very emotional. I was also upset with the way he looked, he shook and seemed to have some mental problem due to all the years in jail and his drug use. I invited him for Christmas. I was looking forward to seeing him for Christmas, for he kept me company while I did all the shopping for Thanksgiving.
Christnas Eve 12:30 in the afternoon, I'm on a step latter decorating the tree when I get a jab on my left side, and the voice of my dead mother in my right ear saying,
"Don't worry, He's with me, I'm taking him home."
I told my husband as soon as it happened, I was crying so. It was real.

I kept calling his cell phone, no answer. I called everyone to see if they heard from he, no.
I decided to waite until after Christmas, to share the holiday with my children and grandchild, but would go to his appartment in the city the very next day.
No answer, neighbors said that they havent seen him for several days. Police would not help. Finaly on January 5th, Monday after the holidays, I was able to get in touch with his parole officer to go over to his appartment, he was found dead in his bathroom for over a week.

My mother didn't want me to worry about him, but she wanted me to know he was dead and I guess to take care of his remains?
Am I loosing my mind?? Help. because this happened and I told my husband as soon as it happened.
No, you are not losing your mind, but you are experiencing something that is beyond the rational abilities of the human mind. Communication within the communion of saints is a supernatural phenomenon. It can only occur through the power of God, when He so disposes.

The Origninal Post makes reference the Jesus' story about sending someone to the rich man's brothers to warn them. Note that, although an impassible chasm is fixed between where he was, and where Lazarus was, no such chasm exists between the place of the righteous dead and earth.

One biblical reference to communication with those who have passed is found in I Sam 28. God allows Samuel to appear to Saul and have a conversation with him.

Also, Jesus demonstrated that this type of communication occurs when he received a visit from Moses and Elijah prior to His crucifixion.

Luke 9:29-32
30 And behold, two men talked with him, Moses and Eli'jah, 31 who appeared in glory and spoke of his departure, which he was to accomplish at Jerusalem.

These passages, as well as the teaching of the Church make it clear that it is possible to have communication with those who have passed on before us.

What you received is called the "word of knowledge", it is one of the charisms mentioned in I Cor 12:8. This references awareness or knowledge of something that cannot be gained by human rational ability, but is a revelation by God through the Spirit. These gifts, along with the other Spiritual gifts mentioned in I Cor 12 are for the purpose of building up the Body of Christ. You used this information to the best of your ability to serve your family, which is how these gifts should be used.

Hope this helps.

guan

Old Mar 23, '09, 5:42 pm
Observing Member

Thank you for your answer. It was a gift and I will keep our Lord and Jesus with me always to help me in life and in death.
Thank you again for you time and effort in responding to me. My faith is strong but my catechism is not so good. There is a lot I forgot from Catholic school, Iím not even sure I understood most of it. My faith is like that of a childís. I think I need to understand more.
Old Mar 23, '09, 6:08 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconnell5 View Post
Thank you for your answer. It was a gift and I will keep our Lord and Jesus with me always to help me in life and in death.
Thank you again for you time and effort in responding to me. My faith is strong but my catechism is not so good. There is a lot I forgot from Catholic school, Iím not even sure I understood most of it. My faith is like that of a childís. I think I need to understand more.
Your sure came to the right place! I recommend the library here, there is an excellent collection of tracts that are simple and to the point. Don't be shy about posting any and all questions, that is why we are here! You can also search the threads, as you may have to find this one, for topics that are of interest to you.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics