Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 12, '08, 5:50 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default "Mass of Ressurection", "of Christian Burial" or just "Funeral Mass"

Has the Church made an official declaration that the Funeral Mass is not to be called "Mass of Resurrection"?
Old Sep 12, '08, 7:09 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)
Default Re: "Mass of Ressurection", "of Christian Burial" or just "Funeral Mass"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum V8 View Post
Has the Church made an official declaration that the Funeral Mass is not to be called "Mass of Resurrection"?
I don't know of any. But the only resurrection we're celebrating in the present is that of Jesus... it's a bit rude to deprive the souls of the faithful departed of our prayers, and instead spend time blissfully imagining them already in heaven.

My first book: The Prayers of the People
My second book: The Prayers of the Priest (now in print!)

My Blog: The Cross Reference
Follow me on Twitter @PrayingTheMass
Old Sep 12, '08, 7:16 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Mass of Ressurection", "of Christian Burial" or just "Funeral Mass"

The current funeral policies for our archdiocese state that it should be considered to refer to it as a Funeral Mass or a Mass for the Dead, and not use the other terms ("Mass of Christian Burial" and "Mass of Resurrection" are on the list, and crossed out). It doesn't go so far as to state that the terms are wrong, though.
Old Sep 12, '08, 7:42 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Interesting. I posed this question because I got into a mild debate with a priest who is beginning to learn the Tridentine Mass. We were talking about Requiem Masses. I asked if he had any black vestments and he said "no, we don't use black anymore." I just looked at him with a "huh?" expression, and he went on about how its a Mass of Resurrection and they wear white.....as in we are celebrating a glorious event or something. I told him, "Father, the first words of the Mass (of the propers at least) are 'Requiem aeternam'. That doesn't equate with a resurrection."

I didn't press the issue with him. But I'm going to mention to him the next time I see him that there has been only ONE resurrection so far, and that's celebrated on Easter.

While searching around the Net, I found many diocesan websites that discourage the use of "Mass of Resurrection."
Old Sep 12, '08, 8:28 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
I asked if he had any black vestments and he said "no, we don't use black anymore." I just looked at him with a "huh?" expression, and he went on about how its a Mass of Resurrection and they wear white.....as in we are celebrating a glorious event or something.
GIRM 346/e: "Besides violet, white or black vestments may be worn at funeral services and at other Offices and Masses for the Dead in the Dioceses of the United States of America."

Old Sep 12, '08, 9:07 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Interesting. I posed this question because I got into a mild debate with a priest who is beginning to learn the Tridentine Mass. We were talking about Requiem Masses. I asked if he had any black vestments and he said "no, we don't use black anymore." I just looked at him with a "huh?" expression, and he went on about how its a Mass of Resurrection and they wear white.....as in we are celebrating a glorious event or something. I told him, "Father, the first words of the Mass (of the propers at least) are 'Requiem aeternam'. That doesn't equate with a resurrection."

I didn't press the issue with him. But I'm going to mention to him the next time I see him that there has been only ONE resurrection so far, and that's celebrated on Easter.

While searching around the Net, I found many diocesan websites that discourage the use of "Mass of Resurrection."
Well, there has been the Assumption, too, depending on how you want to split that hair, but that is neither here nor there.

As far as the black vestments, I have been told that black=purple=black. This is why there aren't many places that still have black vestments. If your parish wants them, someone may have to have some made.
Old Sep 12, '08, 9:16 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

One of the curious notes about Masses for the Dead in the Ordinary Form is that the word "soul" (anima) is distinctly missing from all the prayers. I did a comparison of the Masses for November 2 (All Souls Day) in the Extraordinary Form versus the Ordinary Form. I should probably do one of the (general) Masses for the Dead as well. It'll help me improve my Latin.

Old Sep 13, '08, 8:04 pm

Send a message via AIM to James0235

Quote:
I'm not sure. But I do know that an overwhelming majority of the Funeral Masses I have attended were essentially Masses of Canonization.

James

Old Sep 13, '08, 8:09 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

I have yet to see black and I haven't even seen it on EWTN unless I missed it.?

I can do all things in Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Through Him, With Him, and In Him
Old Sep 13, '08, 10:37 pm

Religion: Catholic. God's a Texas fan: He made sunsets burnt orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
I have yet to see black and I haven't even seen it on EWTN unless I missed it.?
The EWTN priests wear black on All Souls Day. I have also seen them wear it on Franciscan All Souls Day.

They wear the other color that seems out of use...old rose...on the third Sunday of Advent and the fourth Sunday of Lent.
Old Sep 14, '08, 5:44 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoG View Post
They wear the other color that seems out of use...old rose...on the third Sunday of Advent and the fourth Sunday of Lent.
One would think old rose would make a comeback, what with the feminization and all that...

But seriously, that color went out of fashion (at least in most of the US) when the third Sunday of Advent and the fourth Sunday of Lent became just like every other Sunday of Advent or Lent. No longer is it Gaudete or Laetare. It's just... Sunday.

Old Sep 14, '08, 5:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterJoy View Post
Well, there has been the Assumption, too, depending on how you want to split that hair, but that is neither here nor there.

As far as the black vestments, I have been told that black=purple=black. This is why there aren't many places that still have black vestments. If your parish wants them, someone may have to have some made.
...or check e-bay (if they have relics, they must have vestments)

Lux
Old Sep 14, '08, 10:33 pm

Religion: Catholic. God's a Texas fan: He made sunsets burnt orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhy View Post
One would think old rose would make a comeback, what with the feminization and all that...

But seriously, that color went out of fashion (at least in most of the US) when the third Sunday of Advent and the fourth Sunday of Lent became just like every other Sunday of Advent or Lent. No longer is it Gaudete or Laetare. It's just... Sunday.

Honestly, I think it's budget constraints and (maybe, sometimes laziness) on the part of whoever orders and buys vestments for a parish. From having watched the vestments worn by priests, it seems that a parish can buy the basics (green, white, red, violet) as a package because the decorations seem to be similar or the same and the fabrics seem to be the same. It would seem that the non-basic colors (black, old rose, gold) have to be purchased separately. It could be just that simple.

Let's give our priests the benefit of the doubt and not ascribe the lack of black, old rose and gold vestments to vanity and hetrodoxy.

My pastor is a very orthodox and holy man. He says Mass with a high degree of reverence. I doubt that the reason he doesn't wear old rose on the third Sunday of Advent and the fourth Sunday of Lent is because "is it out of style." I think the same applies to the lack of black vestments.
Old Sep 15, '08, 4:27 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoG View Post
Honestly, I think it's budget constraints and (maybe, sometimes laziness) on the part of whoever orders and buys vestments for a parish. From having watched the vestments worn by priests, it seems that a parish can buy the basics (green, white, red, violet) as a package because the decorations seem to be similar or the same and the fabrics seem to be the same. It would seem that the non-basic colors (black, old rose, gold) have to be purchased separately. It could be just that simple.

Let's give our priests the benefit of the doubt and not ascribe the lack of black, old rose and gold vestments to vanity and hetrodoxy.

My pastor is a very orthodox and holy man. He says Mass with a high degree of reverence. I doubt that the reason he doesn't wear old rose on the third Sunday of Advent and the fourth Sunday of Lent is because "is it out of style." I think the same applies to the lack of black vestments.
I've had various pastors tell me they would never wear 'pink'. It had nothing to do with the color's availablity.

One even mocked the color before Mass on Gaudete Sunday, saying that if he wore 'pink' that people who infer something bad, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.
Old Sep 15, '08, 4:35 am
Book Club Member

The parish of a priest friend of mine had recently bought new vestments and I was commenting on the "pink" one. He and the deacon both corrected me - saying that it was ROSE (not pink).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments