Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 28, '05, 11:03 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Exclamation Do you pay a priest a contribution for anointing of the sick?

My grandmother is on her last 3 days. I've arranged to have a priest come to my aunts house tomorrow night for this sacrament. He is one of the priests who visits the hospital where I work. What is customary? Do we pay the priest a monetary contribution? If so, how much is etiquette?
Old Jan 29, '05, 5:57 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Do you pay a priest a contribution for anointing of the sick?

you do not pay a fee for any sacrament anytime anyplace, the blessing and graces of the sacraments may not be sold. period, that is constant church teaching since the Acts of the Apostles, when Simon the magician tried to pay Peter for the ability to heal and cast out demons. To sell a sacrament or blessing is the crime of simony. What has always been customary is a donation to the priest for saying a Mass for a dead loved one, or for other sacraments. For most of church history this was the priest's only means of support, unless he was part of a religious order. It is and always has been a donation (although sometimes called a stole fee, for the stole a priest wears to indicate his authority to confer the sacraments in Christ's name). No doubt the custom led to abuses and misunderstandings at many times during history.

A donation is still customary, as you say more as a matter of etiquette, it is usually nominal, $5 or $10, more of a token. Sometimes more generous for a wedding (when it is also a generous gesture to give a little something to the altar servers). A reasonable amount might be the equivalent of his gas money to get to the hospital, for instance. He may very well refuse it, if that is diocesan policy, or suggest you give it to the poor. He is not being rude, just following policy.

Most dioceses have a policy priests must follow for such donations. If he is allowed to keep it for his own use, he declares it as personal income, he can put it in general parish funds to help cover expenses involved in sacraments: candles, holy oils, certificates, record-keeping etc., or give it to the poor. In any case these donations must be accounted for.
Old Jan 29, '05, 7:03 am

Hi Alex,

It is indeed customary to give an offering for masses, weddings, baptisms.

I never heard of a stipend for the Anointing of the Sick. Doesn't sound right. I would not think of it.

Robert
Old Jan 29, '05, 7:37 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextoali
My grandmother is on her last 3 days. I've arranged to have a priest come to my aunts house tomorrow night for this sacrament. He is one of the priests who visits the hospital where I work. What is customary? Do we pay the priest a monetary contribution? If so, how much is etiquette?
No, it is customary to offer a stipend, (however never required) for Baptism, Marriage and funerals.

It is very good of you to remember to do this for your grandmother.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments