Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 9, '08, 8:47 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Sponsoring a child

Hey everyone,

This past summer, I began to give a certain percentage of my income each month to a charity of my choice. Now I am looking for a more regular, stable way to give money and I was thinking about sponsoring a child in Africa.

It seems like this would be a great outlet for my contributions, but I just wanted to see what other people thought. If you have sponsored a child before, could you tell me a little bit about your experiences? Also, and I hate to say this, but I'm a little afraid of being scammed. Is there any way of knowing that your money is going specifically to help the child that you "sponsor"?

I would really appreciate any kind of information you could give me about this.

Thanks.

-Beth
Old Oct 9, '08, 9:31 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Sponsoring a child

You might want to use a service like Charity Navigator (http://www.charitynavigator.org/) to evaluate the charity before you start donating to it. I'm like you -- I want to feel that my donations are going to the cause I support, not lining the pockets of the employees.

While it doesn't focus on children, I like giving money to Kiva (http://www.kiva.org/). They make small loans to people around the world helping them to start or expand businesses. When the money is paid back you can turn around and lend it to someone else. I feel like helping someone this way helps the whole family.
Old Oct 9, '08, 9:39 am

Great choice, always nice to help others.
Research the place you go with.

I sponsored a child through World Vision for 9 years. When I started, I asked for a girl from India and got one. It is great you get annual reports and photos. When I was headed to India in 1992 asked them if I could go visit her and was told no it was too short notice, I would need to go through classes and be prepared...(Well I was born there and lived there for 18 years...). Anyways no big deal I would not stop supporting the child till she was done school....Even though I realised a huge chunk of the money I was sending in was going to administration charges, and the fact that I often got long distance calls from them asking for additional donations and to sponsor another child. Well all of a sudden I get a picture and report about a different child. So call them and ask what happened to my child, oh well she left the World Vision program... So I was upset that I was not informed and they just switched me to another child, a boy. I have no problem with boys, but I know that in India girls are normally not sent to school hence my choice. Well I stopped my contributions to World Vision.
But in the mean time our parish had started sponsoring children in Bolivia through nuns there and we had volunteers at our parish doing the work, so 100% of the $$ goes to the child. And a year before I stopped World Vision, we started sponsoring 2 children through the parish. We have had a girl and a boy (not same family) both 2 years older than DS for the last 5 years. The nuns send us pictures of the kids and updates. SO it is really nice.

Gwyn

Wife since 1996
Mom to our miracle DS 1999

Lord, Into your Hands, I commend my spirit.
Old Oct 9, '08, 11:21 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_believer View Post
Hey everyone,

This past summer, I began to give a certain percentage of my income each month to a charity of my choice. Now I am looking for a more regular, stable way to give money and I was thinking about sponsoring a child in Africa.

It seems like this would be a great outlet for my contributions, but I just wanted to see what other people thought. If you have sponsored a child before, could you tell me a little bit about your experiences? Also, and I hate to say this, but I'm a little afraid of being scammed. Is there any way of knowing that your money is going specifically to help the child that you "sponsor"?

I would really appreciate any kind of information you could give me about this.

Thanks.

-Beth
My husband and I sponsor a child from the Phillipines. She writes to us always, and I believe she receives 87% of the funds. I understand the need for these organizations to use the money for administration, etc...but be wary of Feed the Children, and some other organizations that I've heard varying things about--where the children get maybe 50% of the monies. That breaks my heart, when I hear those things.

We go through www.cfcausa.org

Good luck, and God bless you for your generosity.

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Oct 9, '08, 4:10 pm
Prayer Warrior

Thank you guys for your input. I did go to the charity navigator site and that really helped me to decide which organization to go with. I just became the sponsor for an 8-year-old girl in Ethiopia.
Old Oct 12, '08, 7:42 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Thank you guys for your input. I did go to the charity navigator site and that really helped me to decide which organization to go with. I just became the sponsor for an 8-year-old girl in Ethiopia.
Which organization did you choose? I sponsor a little girl through cfca. We get pictures and a letter a few times a year. When I can pay a few more bills off, I'd like to sponsor another child.

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old Oct 14, '08, 10:37 am

I was able to volunteer when I was in high school and go to Guatemala with the CFCA. THey're an awesome company and do wonderful things to help people
Old Oct 15, '08, 1:32 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
God bless you in your efforts. And may your relationship with this little girl grow in the love of Christ.

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Oct 15, '08, 9:37 pm

Hi, For over 25 years I have sponsored children through the Christian Foundation for Children and Aging. (CFCA). They have their headquarters about a mile from my home. Almost all of your gift goes to the need. Well over 90%. I have personally known some of their volunteers and staff and they are committed to helping children and aging people in third world countries, I would highly recommend them: Besides they are far and away a Catholic organization.thumbsup:
Old Oct 19, '08, 11:15 am
Book Club Member

Does anyone else have any comments on World Vision or Save the Children?

Holy Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Old Oct 20, '08, 5:16 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveSantaMaria View Post
Does anyone else have any comments on World Vision or Save the Children?

Holy Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
World vision:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=4768

Save the children:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=4438

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old May 27, '11, 9:02 am
Banned

I'm surprised I couldn't find any information on charity navigator about catholic extension society.
Does anyone give to this charity?
If I sponsor a child, I'm giving to one person.
If I give to Catholic Charities, my money helps many people.
I'm not sure which is best.
Old May 27, '11, 7:47 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

the only Catholic agency to my knowledge that has this type of program is the Christian Foundation for Children and Aging. CFCA. We sponsor through them because alone of these agencies, they do not advertise on TV so don't have that mega-budget and high administrative costs. They do advertise on Catholic websites so you can probably find them on catholicexchange.com, catholic.net and catholic.org through their rolling ad. Typically your gift goes to fund project in which your sponsored child is enrolled, and through the project he receives education, nutrition, health care, and there is some benefit to his family. While you may not be able to visit individual children or projects, which depend on a lot of things including local conditions, they do have mission trips to several projects in several countries. You also have option to send designated gift amounts at Christmas, birthday etc. which do go directly to the child and his family. But all correspondence is through CFCA, not person to person, for your protection and the child's.

we have been sponsors since 1986 and I have been on several mission trips, only one to a project where I had a sponsored child (Mexico).

Worldvision and save the children are not Catholic sponsored agencies, both do national TV advertising which is exceedingly expensive, and you cannot be sure some of their projects adhere to Catholic values in "women's health care", for instance. Stick with CFCA is my recommendation.
Old May 28, '11, 6:11 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria29 View Post
I was able to volunteer when I was in high school and go to Guatemala with the CFCA. THey're an awesome company and do wonderful things to help people
Thanks for the 'heads up'. I decided to sponsor a youth through CFCA.
I never liked the idea of having money taken out of my checking account automatically.
I believe this is how CFCA likes to be paid.(This is a minor problem)
I have a feeling that sponsoring a child, may be good for me.
When I look at all the candidates, to be sponsored, I wish i could sponsor them all.
I end up spending a lot more than $30 per month on junk, and drinking at the neighborhood pub.
Now I can use this money to do (i believe) the Lord's work.
It's tough at times, being a senior citizen, and living alone. Now I have something else to think about.
THANKS AGAIN.
Old May 30, '11, 7:01 pm
Banned

Religion: classical Anglican

I do a sponsorship through Childfund, which has a good reputation and has a low administration percentage.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014