Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 5, '08, 9:04 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Can a Parent Baptize His Own Children?

I was talking to a friend who said that his brother, a lay person, baptized his own daughter. Is this valid? I thought that only priests could perform the sacraments.

If lay people can baptize their children, what is needed to make it valid?
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Old Nov 5, '08, 9:11 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can a Parent Baptize His Own Children?

This is a big no-no - it should only be done by a layperson if the child was in danger of death, or they live in a remote area or something.

Under Canon 849 of the Code of Canon Law:

'Baptism, ... is validly conferred only by a washing of true [pure] water [as in not orange juice or soda pop or anything] with the proper form of words.' ['I baptise you in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit'. ]

Assuming the above was done, I believe it is what is called 'illicit', but still valid and still a sacrament.

In any event th baptism must immediately be reported to the man's pastor so that the rite can be completed - the child blessed and anointed with the oils and so on - and the baptism registered for future reference (if the child wants to receive any other sacrament, such as marriage, in future they will need the baptism on the record).

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Nov 5, '08, 9:12 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

In danger of death, anyone can baptize. It would be valid, but, irregular.

From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02258b.htm

The Roman Ritual adds that, even in conferring baptism in cases of necessity, there is an order of preference to be followed as to the minister. This order is: if a priest be present, he is to be preferred to a deacon, a deacon to a subdeacon, a cleric to a layman, and a man to a woman, unless modesty should require (as in cases of childbirth) that no other than the female be the minister, or again, unless the female should understand better the method of baptizing. The Ritual also says that the father or mother should not baptize their own child, except in danger of death when no one else is at hand who could administer the sacrament. Pastors are also directed by the Ritual to teach the faithful, and especially midwives, the proper method of baptizing. When such private baptism is administered, the other ceremonies of the rite are supplied later by a priest, if the recipient of the sacrament survives. This right of any person whatsoever to baptize in case of necessity is in accord with the constant tradition and practice of the Church. Tertullian (On Baptism 7) says, speaking of laymen who have an opportunity to administer baptism: "He will be guilty of the loss of a soul, if he neglects to confer what he freely can," St. Jerome (Against the Luciferians 9): "In case of necessity, we know that it is also allowable for a layman [to baptize]; for as a person receives, so may he give," The Fourth Council of the Lateran (cap. Firmiter) decrees: "The Sacrament of Baptism . . . no matter by whom conferred is available to salvation," St. Isidore of Seville (can. Romanus de cons., iv) declares: "The Spirit of God administers the grace of baptism, although it be a pagan who does the baptizing," Pope Nicholas I teaches the Bulgarians (Resp. 104) that baptism by a Jew or a pagan is valid.
Old Nov 5, '08, 9:14 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Jeepster View Post
I was talking to a friend who said that his brother, a lay person, baptized his own daughter. Is this valid? I thought that only priests could perform the sacraments.

Did he say how his brother came to be the one who did the baptism?

Unless the baptism was done in an emergency, it was illicit for the dad to do that. But, if he used water and said "I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" it would be valid. He would then have the obligation to report it to his pastor ASAP so that it could be recorded in the parish's register of baptisms.
Old Nov 5, '08, 9:24 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Did he say how his brother came to be the one who did the baptism?

Unless the baptism was done in an emergency, it was illicit for the dad to do that. But, if he used water and said "I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" it would be valid. He would then have the obligation to report it to his pastor ASAP so that it could be recorded in the parish's register of baptisms.
I don't know why he performed the baptism. I don't think that the child was in danger of death. This was about 18 years ago. The daughter is now in college.

He did have Holy Water, and I think he used the correct statement. He later told his priest that he baptized his daughter, so when he actually went to a Baptismal ceremony, the priest just mimicked the application of water and blessed the child. The priest's reasoning was that he could not baptize the child a second time, seeing as though the father baptized her already. It all seems like a big mess to me.
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Old Nov 5, '08, 9:34 pm
Banned

Quote:
I don't know why he performed the baptism. I don't think that the child was in danger of death. This was about 18 years ago. The daughter is now in college.

He did have Holy Water, and I think he used the correct statement. He later told his priest that he baptized his daughter, so when he actually went to a Baptismal ceremony, the priest just mimicked the application of water and blessed the child. The priest's reasoning was that he could not baptize the child a second time, seeing as though the father baptized her already. It all seems like a big mess to me.
The priest was right not to re-baptise the child again. But there is a rite to supply the ceremonies of baptism for someone already baptised -he should have used that.
Old Nov 5, '08, 11:33 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:

Anyone can Baptize anyone validly, who is not already Baptized. This is done licitly in case of necessity or danger of death. When done the Baptism must be reported to the nearest parish to be recorded in their Baptismal register and to have the additional Rites of Baptism supplied.
Old Nov 8, '08, 11:30 am

In the more canonically regular case of a priest or deacon with children, I believe it would be inappropriate (and perhaps outright illicit - in the Latin code - but I can't remember for sure) for him to baptize his own children because, at least in the ordinary form of the rite, this would entail him performing two roles at once (minister and parent) during the rite.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments