Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 15, '08, 11:13 am

Religion: catholic
Default Infusion of soul into body

I have asked this question three or more times and have not received a true answer. ( Does the church know or have any true documentation as to when the soul is infused into the body? ) To date I have not received a satisfactory response. Could anyone help with this matter. Thank you, Leaneul A Parrotte
Old Nov 15, '08, 11:26 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Infusion of soul into body

The Church teaches that it happens at conception.

I'm not sure what you consider "true documentation", since it's not something anyone can ever see happen.
Old Nov 15, '08, 12:30 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaneul View Post
I have asked this question three or more times and have not received a true answer. ( Does the church know or have any true documentation as to when the soul is infused into the body? ) To date I have not received a satisfactory response. Could anyone help with this matter. Thank you, Leaneul A Parrotte
The Church teaches this regarding the sanctity of human life:

2270 Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person - among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life.

Regarding precisely when the soul enters the body, no, the Church does not teach definitively on that topic.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 15, '08, 3:00 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
The Church teaches this regarding the sanctity of human life:

2270 Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person - among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life.

Regarding precisely when the soul enters the body, no, the Church does not teach definitively on that topic.
The Church does define the human as a body/soul unity. This is very clear. Now, that being the case, if human life begins at the moment of conception and a human is a body/soul unity then it only equates to the soul being created at the moment of conception.............Or better perhaps, could there be human life without a soul if even for a few seconds? .............teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Nov 15, '08, 3:28 pm

Send a message via Skype™ to garyconrad
Lightbulb Re: Infusion of soul into body

Quote:
Hi jewish and Christian (myth) states that at the moment of birth/life a sparow takes a soul from the hall of souls in heaven and delivers it to the child thus give it life. I guess the mother and child share a soul until then. Yours in Christ,Gary B.
Old Nov 15, '08, 6:28 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachccd View Post
Or better perhaps, could there be human life without a soul if even for a few seconds?
We don't know and the Church doesn't teach on this subject definitively. The Church regards the life as human from the moment of conception, but the Church does not have a precise teaching on ensoulment.

2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 15, '08, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
We don't know and the Church doesn't teach on this subject definitively. The Church regards the life as human from the moment of conception, but the Church does not have a precise teaching on ensoulment.

2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

I think that the Church is very clear that a human being is a body/soul unity. I think that the Church is very clear that the human being exists from the moment of conception. Now if you put the two explicit teachings together, how can one say that it is unclear when the human soul is created? Your quote from the CCC par.# 2274 states that a human being exists from the moment of conception. Anyway................peace..........tea chccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Nov 17, '08, 7:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCT View Post
The Church teaches that it happens at conception.

I'm not sure what you consider "true documentation", since it's not something anyone can ever see happen.
Old Nov 17, '08, 7:50 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Conception. Otherwise abortion wouldn't be murder.
Old Nov 22, '08, 6:33 pm
Banned

the problem with assigning a unique soul infusion at conception is that there are very rare cases when two zygotes will fuse to form one. this begs the question of what happens to the souls--do they fuse or does one pass on to limbo/heaven?

therefore, reducing the argument to DNA = a human soul has problems. the soul probably infuses as soon as it can in the body. in the case of two zygotes that fuse, before fusion perhaps they are not two souls but one.

i don't think science or theology can sort this out definitively.
Old Nov 22, '08, 6:36 pm

Quote:
The Church teaches that the soul, which is the life of the body, enters the human body at conception, because according to science life begins at conception.

It is also noteworthy to note the worth of the Immaculate Conception. Mary's soul was created by God and infused with sanctifying grace at the same time. If this was at her conception, than it is proof from God that life dose begin at conception.
Old Nov 22, '08, 6:54 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa44 View Post
Abortion IS murder, legal murder, but still morally murder.
Old Nov 22, '08, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa44 View Post
I think your reasoning is backwards... and still flawed even if you put it in the right order.
Old Nov 22, '08, 8:56 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
Abortion IS murder, legal murder, but still morally murder.

Now I'm confused...I didn't say abortion wasn't murder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedictus View Post
I think your reasoning is backwards... and still flawed even if you put it in the right order.
Care to explain?
I said that life begins at conception, if it didn't then abortion wouldn't be murder? Did I say something wrong? Abortion is murder because it is killing a life. Now if life didn't start at conception, then ending that conception wouldn't be ending that life, sinse it didn't start yet. Right? But sinse life has started, it is murder. I dont understand why this statement is problematic. Perhaps you will enlighten me.
Old Nov 23, '08, 6:29 pm

Yes, it is true that life begins at conception but the Catholic church has never determined at what exact moment the soul is infused, so if the soul is not present the life is not a Human life yet. Am I wrong in this assumption ? Please advise. Thank you.

Leaneul A Parrotte

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics