Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 27, '08, 3:02 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Charismatic mases:

Please let me know where I can go to Charismatic healing masses on Long
Island (NY) . There are no Charismatic priests in my parish and there
hasn't been for years! I'm starving to go to one of these healing masses
again!!!
Old Aug 28, '08, 7:37 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Charismatic mases:

How do you get more healing, or better contact with the Holy Spirit, than through the Body and Blood of Christ?

And if you have an illness that does not seem serious enough to warrant Holy Anointing, you can always ask the Priest to read the prayers for the sick over you, can you not?

After all, how much more spiritual can the official Prayers of the Church be?
Old Aug 28, '08, 7:58 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

I was associated with a university that had a lot of "healing" Masses, complete with the falling-down thing. And then they doubled everybody's health insurance premiums. Somehow that just didn't seem to make sense.

G.K. Chesterton
Old Aug 28, '08, 8:26 am

Several suggestions for you:

Try to find a priest by the name of Msgr. Frank McGrath, a priest of the Diocese of Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Also, try contacting National Service Committee.

http://www.nsc-chariscenter.org/contact.htm or email

mailto:[email protected]

or snail mail:

National Service Committee
Chariscenter USA
P.O. Box 628
Locust Grove, VA 22508-0628
(800) 338-2445
(540) 972-0225
Old Nov 23, '08, 6:36 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Irish Catholic

I went to a Charismatic Healing Mass in Costa Mesa,CA a few days ago --Friday Nov 21.
I go to this particular parish in Costa Mesa, Ca because it seems to toe the line with proper solemnity and is neither traditionalist or liberal in any of the bad forms of either pure 'traditionalist' or freestyling 'liberal'. Its a very faithful church and congregation.

No problem with the Charismatic part of the mass..
However, the music was a problem.
There are guidelines for what is and what is not appropriate for the Mass and it seems that many
just toss out the book and do their own thing and call it appropriate under a 'Charismatic Catholic' banner. Despite the Vatican/Pope pronouncements
about music and the solemnity of the mass.
I can post links if necessary.

I had previously been to this same Charismatic Healing Mass
and 'Band' about 3-5 or more years ago and walked away quite perplexed . It seemed the Electric Guitar player seemed to have escaped from a rock band background and had little or no appropriate sensibilites towards the solemnity of Mass. Seems she enjoyed playing for her pleasure more than anything else and it was not Church music geared towards those who needed healing.

This time around was different, maybe 5years later, was definetly a 50% or slightly more improvement, same gal playing the electric guitar and about 50% of the music was appropriate and solemn, but in many ways that was not enough.

Electric Guitar accompaniement to the Consecration. Excessive demands for clapping to the beat/music. Inappropriate clapping for band and homily/podium stuff. Lots of inappropriate Yippy Yi Ya-ing,etc during the music by the band. The only thing missing was a Michael Jackson hee-hee-hee whine. But it was better than years before!

Then there is the portion where people are asked to come to speak at the podium if they are moved by the Spirit. One person came up and said that the Holy Spirit said that some are uncomfortable
with the 'Charismatic' thing, not exact words, and that they needed to open up.

Well I dont have a problem with 'Charismatic' but
I have a problem where the solemnity of the mass
is violated by people whose sensibilites run counter to the Pope/Vatican. Anyhow the Pope/Vatican/Catholic Church has all of Gods Truth and thats where I look for it. You know, T-R-U-T-H. Looks like I'll have to travel if I want to go to another Healing Mass.
Old Nov 23, '08, 8:24 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fshrman820 View Post
again!!!
Jesus Night Healing Masses – Sponsored by diocesan Charismatic Renewal, 7:30 p.m., first Friday of each month, St. Brigid Church, 50 Post Ave., Westbury; first Wednesday of each month, 7:30 p.m., SS. Cyril & Methodius Church, 125 Half Hollow Rd., Deer Park; second Tuesday of every other month, 7:30 p.m., St. Gertrude Church, 28 School St., Bayville.

http://www.licatholic.org/diocese/locals.htm
Old Nov 24, '08, 8:42 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

every Mass is a healing Mass.
if you need the sacrament of anointing of the sick, call the parish office and arrange an appointment
as usual CAFers have responded of their personal knowledge, hope it helps you find what you are looking for
for the record, charismatic Masses I have attended hear and in Ohio have as a rule more traditional music and more orthodox practice and preaching than do many a Sunday Mass in an average parish. One bad experience is not a reason to denounce the spirituality of thousands, which has been approved by the Church.
Old Nov 24, '08, 10:15 pm

Religion: Episcopal

Check out the following link for The Healing Ministry of Divine Mercy with Paul C. Miller, SFO. http://www.paulmillerhealingministry.com/

Here is another link that may interest you. I know that Paul will be at St. Rocco's on 12/5

http://rcanevangelizationcommunity.o...activities.asp

God Bless!

"Free fire insurance for your eternal soul...See Jesus for details.."

"God desires spiritual fruits, not religious nuts!"
Old Nov 24, '08, 10:26 pm

http://www.frmac.org/schedule.htm

Quote:
Since 1976, Father Richard McAlear's (OMI) Ministry has been offering hope, healing, love, and peace to tens of thousands of people all around the world.

Father’s gifts of teaching and healing are powerful indicators of the healing love of Jesus Christ being poured out on today's world. He is much in demand as a speaker for retreats, conferences, and seminars for priests, deacons, and other religious associates and conducts healing services, weekend renewal retreats, parish missions, and days of teaching in parishes around the world.
Old Nov 24, '08, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2 View Post
I went to a Charismatic Healing Mass in Costa Mesa,CA a few days ago --Friday Nov 21.
I go to this particular parish in Costa Mesa, Ca because it seems to toe the line with proper solemnity and is neither traditionalist or liberal in any of the bad forms of either pure 'traditionalist' or freestyling 'liberal'. Its a very faithful church and congregation.

No problem with the Charismatic part of the mass..
However, the music was a problem.
There are guidelines for what is and what is not appropriate for the Mass and it seems that many
just toss out the book and do their own thing and call it appropriate under a 'Charismatic Catholic' banner. Despite the Vatican/Pope pronouncements
about music and the solemnity of the mass.
I can post links if necessary.

I had previously been to this same Charismatic Healing Mass
and 'Band' about 3-5 or more years ago and walked away quite perplexed . It seemed the Electric Guitar player seemed to have escaped from a rock band background and had little or no appropriate sensibilites towards the solemnity of Mass. Seems she enjoyed playing for her pleasure more than anything else and it was not Church music geared towards those who needed healing.

This time around was different, maybe 5years later, was definetly a 50% or slightly more improvement, same gal playing the electric guitar and about 50% of the music was appropriate and solemn, but in many ways that was not enough.

Electric Guitar accompaniement to the Consecration. Excessive demands for clapping to the beat/music. Inappropriate clapping for band and homily/podium stuff. Lots of inappropriate Yippy Yi Ya-ing,etc during the music by the band. The only thing missing was a Michael Jackson hee-hee-hee whine. But it was better than years before!

Then there is the portion where people are asked to come to speak at the podium if they are moved by the Spirit. One person came up and said that the Holy Spirit said that some are uncomfortable
with the 'Charismatic' thing, not exact words, and that they needed to open up.

Well I dont have a problem with 'Charismatic' but
I have a problem where the solemnity of the mass
is violated by people whose sensibilites run counter to the Pope/Vatican. Anyhow the Pope/Vatican/Catholic Church has all of Gods Truth and thats where I look for it. You know, T-R-U-T-H. Looks like I'll have to travel if I want to go to another Healing Mass.
If you are talking about St. John the Baptist, then I am very surprised. I guess there really isn't any parish in OC that is fully traditional yet modern (like the Shrine of Our Lady of Peace in Northern California).
Old Nov 25, '08, 1:05 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPUSC View Post
If you are talking about St. John the Baptist, then I am very surprised. I guess there really isn't any parish in OC that is fully traditional yet modern (like the Shrine of Our Lady of Peace in Northern California).
JPUSC you are a smart man. ;-)

But the pastor at SJB is a very smart and respected
man by me. Sometimes things need to be called attention to, as I am not one to approach the Pastor
with my complaints as I am just one person not integrated with anyone there. Further, these Charismatic Healing Masses seem to be conducted
by a visiting priest, and the music is part of a local
Charismatic group that doesnt normally do mass music.

From what I had seen of the female band leader years ago, she has improved, but she needs some further serious counseling about appropriateness
or needs to be read the appropriate material as relates music and the mass.

This thing was run much like a late 60's/early 70's hippy mass(if there ever was such a thing) and the sensibilities that go with that. 3 piece band, electric guitar, tall bongoes and tamborine. I assume this has been going on for years, with modest improvement each year.

Last edited by RB2; Nov 25, '08 at 1:21 pm.
Old Nov 25, '08, 5:30 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fshrman820 View Post
again!!!
Call the Diocese of Rockville Centre's Office of New Evangilization. They have a Director of Renewal Services that is the coordinator for all Charismatic events. They should be able to direct you to healing masses.
Old Nov 25, '08, 10:29 pm

Not all Charismatic masses have loud and rowdy music. Contemporary music can be very solemn, spiritual, and appropriate for mass. This is a more charismatic mass at a large church in Brazil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-1WO2X6GbE

The people aren't jumping around and dancing. Most of them are in a prayerful posture, many are holding rosaries. They are singing their hearts out, which is something that you don't see much in America parishes.
Old Nov 25, '08, 11:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2 View Post
JPUSC you are a smart man. ;-)

But the pastor at SJB is a very smart and respected
man by me. Sometimes things need to be called attention to, as I am not one to approach the Pastor
with my complaints as I am just one person not integrated with anyone there. Further, these Charismatic Healing Masses seem to be conducted
by a visiting priest, and the music is part of a local
Charismatic group that doesnt normally do mass music.

From what I had seen of the female band leader years ago, she has improved, but she needs some further serious counseling about appropriateness
or needs to be read the appropriate material as relates music and the mass.

This thing was run much like a late 60's/early 70's hippy mass(if there ever was such a thing) and the sensibilities that go with that. 3 piece band, electric guitar, tall bongoes and tamborine. I assume this has been going on for years, with modest improvement each year.
I did a quick search and it looks like it's an independent organization in charge of the Mass, but is sanctioned by the Diocese. I think this is probably something the bishop condones. I
know the parish itself removed LifeTeen because of complaints from parishioners.

It probably wouldn't do much to complain since SJB is one of the only parishes in the Diocese that doesn't have Masses like that in its regular schedule. Some exceptions I could think of may be St. Vincent de Paul in Huntington Beach and the Mission Basilica in SJC.

Ironic as it sounds, both the Charismatic and regular Masses in the Archdiocese of San Francisco are more traditional than in the Diocese of Orange. Seeing an electric guitar and band in the sanctuary is very rare and a Charismatic Mass I attended once was a regular Mass with a fairly typical modern non-rock music selection (e.g. Our God Reigns, Here I am Lord, etc.) The only thing that distinguished it from other Masses was some kind of "tongues-speaking" session in the middle, lol.

But, this was when Cardinal Levada was the archbishop.
Old Nov 26, '08, 1:08 pm
Book Club Member

Thanks JPUSC,
looks like I wont volunteer to suffer through that again
anytime soon.

If I want a freestyling mass there are plenty of parishes that do it on a regular basis and not as
badly/irreverently as that Charismatic group.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments