Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 12, '08, 8:37 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default What religion is Angela Lansbury

I'm sorry if this topic is trivial or inappropriate. I was just wondering if anyone knew what Angela Lansbury's religion is. My mom and sometimes I like to watch Murder She Wrote. Then I saw her on TV just then, singing about Jesus and saying he was and is the Savior of the World. I was looking around where she was and I was like, uh oh, is that the Mormon place? So I looked on the tv guide and it just said something about Tabernacle... then I looked online to verify, and apparently Lansbury was singing at the Mormon place.

We have a channel in Canada called Vision and they show things from various religions. Anyway, I'm just disappointed that they put the Mormons on tv for their special. It almost seems like they are trying to convince people that they are just another group of Christians, which they aren't. I'm also shocked that Lansbury would be on there.

Can anyone tell me what religion she is, and your thoughts on her being on that show.

Thanks.
Old Dec 12, '08, 11:50 pm

Default Re: What religion is Angela Lansbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8888 View Post
I'm sorry if this topic is trivial or inappropriate. I was just wondering if anyone knew what Angela Lansbury's religion is. My mom and sometimes I like to watch Murder She Wrote. Then I saw her on TV just then, singing about Jesus and saying he was and is the Savior of the World. I was looking around where she was and I was like, uh oh, is that the Mormon place? So I looked on the tv guide and it just said something about Tabernacle... then I looked online to verify, and apparently Lansbury was singing at the Mormon place.

We have a channel in Canada called Vision and they show things from various religions. Anyway, I'm just disappointed that they put the Mormons on tv for their special. It almost seems like they are trying to convince people that they are just another group of Christians, which they aren't. I'm also shocked that Lansbury would be on there.

Can anyone tell me what religion she is, and your thoughts on her being on that show.

Thanks.
1. She is not Mormon. She sang with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. She is a class act and considered it a great honor.

2. The Church of Jesus Christ, LDS is Christian.

3. You have no clue what you are talking about claiming that The Church of Jesus Christ is not Christian. Bigotry ain't a pretty thing.
Old Dec 13, '08, 2:49 am

Oh - and perhaps you should accept it and like it. Per usual there will be another national broadcast on Christmas Eve which I watch before I watch watching mass at St. Peters.

This year's guest is Tony-award winning Brian Stokes Mitchell:

"I can't think of a better choir in the world to sing with. They are great artists individually and collectively."
Old Dec 13, '08, 3:33 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

**2. The Church of Jesus Christ, LDS is Christian.**

Anyone who believes in a plurality of deities is a polytheist, which is NOT Christian.

The entity the Mormonoids call "God the Father" has at least one goddess wife (collectively called "Heavenly Mother"), and furthermore had a father before him, grandfathers, great-grandfathers with their associated wives.

Moreover, the Mormon GtF lives on a planet named Kolob.

Furthermore, they teach that the goal of their spiritual life is to be exalted to godhood--that is, if they are men. Mormon wives can look forward to morning sickness throughout eternity.

These are things the pretty boys on bicycles will not tell you at first.

What is this if not a polytheistic fertility cult?

Believe it if you wish, but don't call it Christianity. It's not.

Last edited by Rachel Malloy; Dec 14, '08 at 8:00 pm.
Old Dec 13, '08, 3:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
**2. The Church of Jesus Christ, LDS is Christian.**

Anyone who believes in a plurality of deities is a polytheist, which is NOT Christian.

The entity the Mormons call "God the Father" has at least one goddess wife (collectively called "Heavenly Mother"), and furthermore had a father before him, grandfathers, great-grandfathers with their associated wives.

Moreover, the Mormon GtF lives on a planet named Kolob.

Furthermore, they teach that the goal of their spiritual life is to be exalted to godhood--that is, if they are men. Mormonoid wives can look forward to morning sickness throughout eternity.

These are things the pretty boys on bicycles will not tell you at first.

What is this if not a polytheistic fertility cult?

Believe it if you wish, but don't call it Christianity. It's not.
Bigoty is such a vile and anti-Christian trait - don't you agree. Decent Christians certainly do.

If you are merely and extraordinarily ignorant about what we believe, then at least your false assertions weren't intentionally dishonest,

Last edited by Rachel Malloy; Dec 14, '08 at 8:00 pm.
Old Dec 13, '08, 3:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Looks like the kiddies are out tonight.

Bigoty is such a vile and anti-Christian trait - don't you agree. Decent Christians certainly do.

If you are merely and extraordinarily ignorant about what we believe, then at least your false assertions weren't intentionally dishonest,
Old Dec 13, '08, 4:21 am
Banned

**Bigoty is such a vile and anti-Christian trait - don't you agree. Decent Christians certainly do.

If you are merely and extraordinarily ignorant about what we believe, then at least your false assertions weren't intentionally dishonest,**

My sources for this information are Sidney Rigdon, Brigham Young, and the Mormon hymnal (whater its name may be), among others.

In the hymn "O, My Father," we find the lines "Truth is reason, truth eternal/tells me I've a Mother there."

There is also at least one hymn invoking the entity called Heavenly Mother.

And then there's a hymn with the opening words about "hieing" oneself to Kolob.

And in honor of the season, should I not mention that Mormon call it the Virgin Birth only by courtesy?

I noted, btw, that you did not actually refute what I said. You simply indulged in name-calling.

Last edited by Rachel Malloy; Dec 14, '08 at 8:01 pm.
Old Dec 13, '08, 4:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
**Bigoty is such a vile and anti-Christian trait - don't you agree. Decent Christians certainly do.

If you are merely and extraordinarily ignorant about what we believe, then at least your false assertions weren't intentionally dishonest,**

My sources for this information are Sidney Rigdon, Brigham Young, and the Mormon hymnal (whater its name may be), among others.

In the hymn "O, My Father," we find the lines "Truth is reason, truth eternal/tells me I've a Mother there."

There is also at least one hymn invoking the entity called Heavenly Mother.

And then there's a hymn with the opening words about "hieing" oneself to Kolob.

And in honor of the season, should I not mention that Mormonoids call it the Virgin Birth only by courtesy?

I noted, btw, that you did not actually refute what I said. You simply indulged in name-calling.
I don't bear the burden of proof. He he fabricates nonsense has the burden of proof. Our doctrines are official and published in the Bible, Book of Mormon, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price.

Let's see you provide proof of what you claim.

Prediction: Can't and won't.

Did your parents teach you bigotry or did you go bad all by yourself?
Old Dec 13, '08, 5:38 am
Banned

Religion: Coptic Orthodox Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
I don't bear the burden of proof. He he fabricates nonsense has the burden of proof. Our doctrines are official and published in the Bible, Book of Mormon, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price.
Oh but you DO bear the burden of proof, as you are the one who follows these "additions" or "corrections" to the Bible, which contradict both it and common sense. If you want to follow them, fine, but since they are modern inventions of a man named Joseph Smith who you choose to follow instead of church tradition and the Bible, the onus is on you to prove how you can do this and still call yourself "Christian" when no other sect in history of the faith sees your unique books or the theology expressed in them as having anything common with even mainline Protestant interpretations of Christianity. It is wacked out, crazy cult stuff, and this is coming from someone who has had the great misfortune to have an ex-family member convert to Mormonism from at least nominal Protestant Christianity, so I know what falling for this junk does to people (it's nothing good).

Quote:
You first.

Quote:
Prediction: Can't and won't.
Pot, kettle...

Quote:
Did your parents teach you bigotry or did you go bad all by yourself?
I can't speak for bpbasilphx's parents, but my mother was a Christian, not a Mormon, so she taught me that Jesus Christ was not one of three Gods, but THE true God (the definite article, because He is THE Lord; there is no other!). I no longer follow the church I was raised in, but I am glad that I have been able to use my God-given sense of discernment to distinguish truth from error. You should try it, instead of repeating your wishes over and over as though you can wish yourself into Christianity no matter what crazy nonsense you believe.

"Christian" is not a brand name. You don't just slap it on whatever crazy religion you follow and automatically get a pass from anyone who has already been using the name for 1800+ years before you came around. Instead of just simply repeating the same falsehood over and over, why not look into why we don't consider you Christian? There are reasons, you know, and they must be pretty substantial if this is something that a Catholic and an Orthodox believer can agree on.

(Though come to think of it I generally don't find it too difficult to agree with bpbasilphx on many things, especially things as obvious as this. )
Old Dec 13, '08, 6:25 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

this thread should be closed unless and until someone posts and answer to title question. the choir of our Catholic school years ago sang at a day-long community event in which the Mormon Tabernacle Choir--arguably the best in the nation--also appeared as the finale. Does that make all of those kids unchristian?
Idiotic question, uncharitable thread to the point of asking mods to ban it, which I will now do
Old Dec 13, '08, 11:52 am

Religion: other

My Mother LOVED Angela Lansbury!

Her last Bio listed her as Anglican/Episcopalian. She loves God and has a positive attitude about life. Her first husband was bi-sexual, the marriage ended quickly, but she even managed to be friends with him, not hate him.

Her second marriage lasted for over 50 years, until "death do us part". Thought that was cool for Hollywood.

She considered some of the tragedy in her life as Blessings in Disguise.

My thoughts on her singing with the Mormon Choir? Well, Christmas is the one time a year when many drop their defenses a little, to celebrate with "Peace on earth, Good will to men". Even strangers are a little kinder.

I do not see it as promoting the Mormon beliefs, just celebrating the Season.

~C. S. Lewis, Letters to an American Lady~

Last edited by Auriel; Dec 13, '08 at 12:11 pm.
Old Dec 13, '08, 11:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzheremi View Post
Oh but you DO bear the burden of proof, as you are the one who follows these "additions" or "corrections" to the Bible, which contradict both it and common sense. If you want to follow them, fine, but since they are modern inventions of a man named Joseph Smith who you choose to follow instead of church tradition and the Bible, the onus is on you to prove how you can do this and still call yourself "Christian" when no other sect in history of the faith sees your unique books or the theology expressed in them as having anything common with even mainline Protestant interpretations of Christianity. It is wacked out, crazy cult stuff, and this is coming from someone who has had the great misfortune to have an ex-family member convert to Mormonism from at least nominal Protestant Christianity, so I know what falling for this junk does to people (it's nothing good).

You first.

Pot, kettle...

I can't speak for bpbasilphx's parents, but my mother was a Christian, not a Mormon, so she taught me that Jesus Christ was not one of three Gods, but THE true God (the definite article, because He is THE Lord; there is no other!). I no longer follow the church I was raised in, but I am glad that I have been able to use my God-given sense of discernment to distinguish truth from error. You should try it, instead of repeating your wishes over and over as though you can wish yourself into Christianity no matter what crazy nonsense you believe.

"Christian" is not a brand name. You don't just slap it on whatever crazy religion you follow and automatically get a pass from anyone who has already been using the name for 1800+ years before you came around. Instead of just simply repeating the same falsehood over and over, why not look into why we don't consider you Christian? There are reasons, you know, and they must be pretty substantial if this is something that a Catholic and an Orthodox believer can agree on.

(Though come to think of it I generally don't find it too difficult to agree with bpbasilphx on many things, especially things as obvious as this. )

Exactly like I thought... CAN'T and WON'T.

All bigots are the same.
Old Dec 13, '08, 1:10 pm
Banned

Religion: Coptic Orthodox Christian

Well aside from the absence of anything even approaching Mormon doctrine in the writings of the early church fathers, sacred tradition, the approved translations of the Bible used by the Apostolic Churches (in other words, not the KJV), or really anywhere at all prior to the fanciful writings of Joseph Smith in the 1800s (not even in the mainline Protestant churches!), I guess you're right...there is no way to disprove the claim that Mormon doctrines are Christian.

Oh poo. I really did want to spend the day hunting for wild geese, too.
Old Dec 13, '08, 3:13 pm
Banned

**I don't bear the burden of proof. He he fabricates nonsense has the burden of proof. Our doctrines are official and published in the Bible, Book of Mormon, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price.

Prediction: Can't and won't.**

WRONG! I can and I will.

First off, if your deceased Living Prophet Joseph Smith doesn't know what Mormon Doctrine is, who does?

He has said the following things:

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man . I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute the idea.. " (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-48).

From this we can deduce the following things:

1. The Mormonoid God the Father had a father before him, etc.

2. God is NOT eternal.

". You have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you . " (Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 348). "Sons of God who exalt themselves to be Gods, even from before the foundation of the world, and [sic] are the only Gods I have a reverence for" (Ibid., p. 375). ". There is an infinite number of holy personages, drawn from worlds without number, who have passed on to exaltation, and are thus gods" (McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p. 577).

From this it follows that the purpose of salvation in Mormonism is for a human being to be exalted to the status of a god.

And if this is not polytheism, what is?

Deceased Living Prophet Brigham Young (who likewise ought to know what Mormon Doctrine is) taught:

"When the virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost" (Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, p. 50). "When the time came that His first-born, the Saviour, should come into the world and take a tabernacle, the Father came Himself and favoured that spirit with a tabernacle instead of letting any other man do it." (Ibid., vol. 4, p. 218). "The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood - was begotten of His Father, as we were of our fathers" (Ibid., vol. 8, p. 115).

Apostle Orson Pratt taught, ".It was the personage of the Father who begat the body of Jesus; and for this reason Jesus is called 'the Only Begotten of the Father;' that is, the only one in this world whose fleshly body was begotten by the Father.. The fleshly body of Jesus required a Mother as well as a Father. Therefore, the Father and Mother of Jesus, according to the flesh, must have been associated together in the capacity of Husband and Wife; hence the Virgin Mary must have been, for the time being, the lawful wife of God the Father. [NB--Since Momonism teaches that every person dwelling on this planet started out as a spirit child of their god the father, what does this say about the nature of the relationship of their gtf and his putative spirit daughter? bpbasil].God having created all men and women, had the most perfect right to do with His own creation, according to His holy will and pleasure: He had a lawful right to overshadow the Virgin Mary in the capacity of a husband, and beget a Son, although she was espoused to another; for the law which He gave to govern men and women was not intended to govern Himself, or to prescribe rules for His own conduct. It was also lawful in Him, after having thus dealt with Mary, to give her to Joseph her espoused husband. Whether God the Father gave Mary to Joseph for time only, or for time and eternity, we are not informed. Inasmuch as God was the first husband to her, it may be that He only gave her to be the wife of Joseph while in this mortal state, and that He intended after the resurrection to again take her as one of His own wives to raise up immortal spirits in eternity" (The Seer, p. 158).

Deceased Living Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith (who should know Mormon doctrine) taught, "Our Father in heaven is the Father of Jesus Christ, both in the spirit and in the flesh..I believe firmly that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh..not as the Son of the Holy Ghost, but the Son of God..Christ was begotten of God. He was not born without the aid of Man, and that Man was God!" (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 1. p. 18).

Deceased Living Prophet Ezra Taft Benson (who should know Mormon doctrine) said: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints proclaims that Jesus Christ is the Son of God in the most literal sense. The body in which He performed His mission in the flesh was sired by that same Holy Being we worship as God our Eternal Father. Jesus was not the son of Joseph, nor was He begotten by the Holy Ghost. He is the Son of the Eternal Father!" (Come Unto Christ, p. 4).

Just because these are NOT the "Standard Works" does not mean these are not Mormon Doctrines.

As I have said, your own deceased living prophets should know what Mormonism teaches, as you yourselves believe they hold the office of "prophet, seer, and revelator."

If they don't know what Mormonism teaches, can YOU claim to do so?
Old Dec 13, '08, 3:14 pm
Banned

Part 2:

As regards the references in hymns, I will admit that I read these in the official LDS hymnal used in the 70's or so. As I do not have it to hand, I cannot presently be more specific, except to say I am prepared to take my oath in court that I have read these with my own eyes.

Presidents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints have declared that not only does every single person on the planet have a Father in Heaven, but every single person on the planet also has a Heavenly Mother. Mormon men aspire to become like God, and Mormon women may aspire to become like their Heavenly Mother.

The origins of the belief that all people on the planet have a Heavenly Mother as well as a Heavenly Father originated with Joseph Smith. The hymn “O My Father”, written by Eliza R. Snow after listening to sermons given by Joseph Smith, was the first reference. Wilford Woodruff would later call it a revelation, even though it was written by a woman.

Joseph Fielding Smith answered that we must use reason to infer the existence of a Heavenly Mother, since the scriptures do not mention such a being directly. The third Mormon prophet also said, “All men and women are in the similitude of the universal Father and Mother and are literally the sons and daughters of Deity.”

As far as the Mormonoid teaching of mere mortals being exalted to godhood and going to another planet with their wives, this is adequately attested to elsewhere.

Am I bigoted against Mormonoid teaching? I certainly am. I have no tolerance for blasphemies and lies about Jesus.

Last edited by bpbasilphx; Dec 13, '08 at 3:27 pm.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions