Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 24, '08, 6:36 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic
Default Re: Legionary Mind-Control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocatio View Post
I agree, but be very careful with the line of thinking. This is how the priest scandals mushroomed. I'm one of those "victims". But I spoke up within a week of the occurrence. I was innocent, but probably did something imprudent. I was naive and had no way of knowing for sure protocall. The priest is no longer has priestly faculties and actually married someone. His actions sort of ruined my life... It happens. After 9 years of struggling, amlessly wondering and joining the military I met and married a Protestant woman who's family showed more conviction that anyone I've ever known. 17 years later my anti-Catholic wife and I became Catholic...can run from truth. If you seek it it will find you. I'm attracted to Opus Dei, but my wife doesn't like it. But she tends to be more polarized on most everything. I'd prefer to become Eastern Catholic, but I still love my Latin rite. I lovethe mystery of things more than the absolute feeling of knowing. I'm one of the very few orthodox practicing Catholics in my family.

It's true though. Ex-Catholics make the worst enemies of the state...orin this case...the Church. There are several on CAF.
Let me say this, my comment was only with former members of religious communities/dioceses and only when it deals with reasons for their leaving.

I do not take this line of thought when faced with accusations of abuse. That is a whole different story and needs to be treated in a different manner.
Old Dec 24, '08, 10:28 am

Religion: Catholic

I had my annual silent retreat (spiritual Exercises) 2 weekends ago with a Legionary missionary leading it. Every time I attend mass where a Legionaire consecrates the Eucharist I am amazed what respect they have for the consecrated host. When the priest holds the new eucharist up during the consecration he holds it there for minutes adoring it. Then he very respectfully genuflects and stays in the kneeling position much longer than the average priest. He repeats the respectul gestures when he consecrates the precious blood.
At one of our talks the priest was telling about life in the seminary. Humility is one of the virtues they stress from day one. If a seminarian arises first he is to take the least desirable place at the breakfast table......not the best. He remembered one very cold day when the least desirable seat was near a drafty door. Yes, he chose that seat and felt closer to God for not complaining about his discomfort.
Old Dec 24, '08, 2:16 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Revert edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruechurch View Post
At one of our talks the priest was telling about life in the seminary. Humility is one of the virtues they stress from day one. ... He remembered one very cold day when the least desirable seat was near a drafty door. Yes, he chose that seat and felt closer to God for not complaining about his discomfort.
Is it humility if you go around bragging about how humble you are?

Just wondering.
Old Dec 24, '08, 7:33 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruechurch View Post
I had my annual silent retreat (spiritual Exercises) 2 weekends ago with a Legionary missionary leading it. Every time I attend mass where a Legionaire consecrates the Eucharist I am amazed what respect they have for the consecrated host. When the priest holds the new eucharist up during the consecration he holds it there for minutes adoring it. Then he very respectfully genuflects and stays in the kneeling position much longer than the average priest. He repeats the respectul gestures when he consecrates the precious blood.
I want to caution everyone on this. Just because a priest might not elevate the Eucharist as long as another or might not stay on his knee when he genuflects as long as another does not mean that he is not respectful or does not adore the Eucharist as much as one who does so longer.
Old Dec 25, '08, 11:51 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - former Fundamental Evangelical Christian

That's right ByzCath,
Some priests may be like me with injuries and do not like to talk about thier injuries to others. Raising my arms for lengthy time periods can hurt. Same with kneeling these days. I have a banged up body from sports and military. So we must be careful not to judge a priest as not haveing as much respect for the Eucharist as the next priest. Always try to assume the most charitable things to our neighbors.
Old Dec 26, '08, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post
I want to caution everyone on this. Just because a priest might not elevate the Eucharist as long as another or might not stay on his knee when he genuflects as long as another does not mean that he is not respectful or does not adore the Eucharist as much as one who does so longer.
Interesting point . . . though I never took the post to mean all others are not reverent. Just because one priest appears reverent, doesn't mean all others are not. I took it as a positive statement about that one.
Old Dec 26, '08, 7:41 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCT View Post
Interesting point . . . though I never took the post to mean all others are not reverent. Just because one priest appears reverent, doesn't mean all others are not. I took it as a positive statement about that one.
As did I.

I just thought to point this out though as I have heard some people criticize a priest for not elevating long enough or not staying on their knee when genuflecting long enough or bowing instead of genuflecting (as pointed out by vocatio there are some physical reasons why one may not genuflect).
Old Dec 26, '08, 1:10 pm

Thank you KTC. You got the point. By praising what I admire about one person does not mean that I feel other priests are inferior. The reason for this thread was to make a negative judgement about Legionaires. The use of the word "mind-control" is negative. I was putting a positive touch on the subject. If I said that ByzCath was a loving and caring priest or seminarian because he kept us up to date with life in the seminary that doesn't mean I think Father Groschel is not because he doesn't post at CA and doesn't use a computer. I attended mass this morning where the priest was in a wheelchair and could hardly raise the host but his beautiful smile and enthusiasm in his homily showed his love and reverence for the Eucharist.
When the retreat master told about the taking of the least desirable seat he was not bragging. He was giving an example of what we...the retreatants could do. St Thersa gave an example of how to offer up "little things" like enduring insults. I would not say she was bragging when she used her own experiences of learning humility.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations