Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 28, '08, 7:41 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Jan 1 Holy Day of Obligation?

I live in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and the Ordo states that Jan 1st is a Holy Day of Obligation. My parish and some surrounding parishes are saying that it is not. So is it or is it not? Personally, I will be attending Mass but I have some that I would like to advise. Thank you and God bless..................teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Dec 28, '08, 7:42 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jan 1 Holy Day of Obligation?

January 1st is the Feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary and is a Holy Day of Obligation. I'll see you in church!
Old Dec 28, '08, 8:10 pm
Banned

Religion: RC

"Holy Days of Obligation The Archdiocese of Los Angeles usually observes 4 solemnities designated as Holy Days of Obligation with the obligation to participate in Mass: Christmas (December 25), Mary, Assumption (August 15), All Saints (November 1) and the Immaculate Conception (December 8).The Ascension of the Lord is celebrated on the Seventh Sunday of Easter. In the dioceses of the California province (including the Archdiocese of Los Angeles), the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God (January 1) is not celebrated as a holy day of obligation "
http://www.archdiocese.la/prayer/wor...iturgical.html

Just to mess with your mind, they add the following...

"The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Committee on the Liturgy has provided the following guidelines for determining exceptions to the above observations:

when January 1, August 15, November 1 fall on a Saturday or a Monday, the obligation to participate in Mass does not hold.
when December 8 falls on a Saturday or a Monday, the obligation to participate in Mass remains.
when December 8 falls on a Sunday, the observance is transferred to Monday, December 9 and there is no obligation to participate in Mass."

The LA prelate continues to fashion his own rules for his own church...dang, I'm glad I'm outta there!

I'll be at Mass bright and early on the 1st if I can't stay awake for midnight Mass on the 31st.
Old Dec 28, '08, 8:50 pm
Prayer Warrior

We have an answer from Fr Serpa:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=296991
Old Dec 28, '08, 9:06 pm

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

In the Archdiocese of Los Angeles it is not a holy day of obligation. See http://www.archdiocese.la/prayer/wor...iturgical.html :

Holy Days of Obligation The Archdiocese of Los Angeles usually observes 4 solemnities designated as Holy Days of Obligation with the obligation to participate in Mass: Christmas (December 25), Mary, Assumption (August 15), All Saints (November 1) and the Immaculate Conception (December 8).The Ascension of the Lord is celebrated on the Seventh Sunday of Easter. In the dioceses of the California province (including the Archdiocese of Los Angeles), the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God (January 1) is not celebrated as a holy day of obligation. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Committee on the Liturgy has provided the following guidelines for determining exceptions to the above observations:

* when January 1, August 15, November 1 fall on a Saturday or a Monday, the obligation to participate in Mass does not hold.
* when December 8 falls on a Saturday or a Monday, the obligation to participate in Mass remains.
* when December 8 falls on a Sunday, the observance is transferred to Monday, December 9 and there is no obligation to participate in Mass.
Old Dec 28, '08, 10:12 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

Wikipedia has an interesting take on the subject.

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_C...of_Los_Angeles

Under the Holy Days of Obligation subtopic it lists the same information quoted in some of the previous posts
Quote:
The province does not celebrate the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God as a holy day
but it includes the caveat:
Quote:
[3]Though this move was not approved by the proper channels, namely the Episcopal Conference with approval of Rome.
What this all boils down to is that it is true that the province of Los Angeles does say that they do not observe the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God as a day of obligation. And as a result many parishes do not offer any additional Masses beyond what they would on any other day. But the Masses offered on January 1st in the Province of Los Angeles will be for the Solemnity and it is unlikely *sarcasm alert* that anyone will be declared anathema for attending Mass on an unobserved Holy Day.

Last edited by SMHW; Dec 28, '08 at 10:24 pm.
Old Dec 28, '08, 11:09 pm

"The province does not celebrate the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God as a holy day.[3]Though this move was not approved by the proper channels, namely the Episcopal Conference with approval of Rome."

What on earth? An entire diocese can decide not to observe a Holy Day without approval of Rome??? Can we consider this bishop to be in union with the Pope? Why doesn't Rome do something about this???
Old Dec 28, '08, 11:41 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Smile Re: Jan 1 Holy Day of Obligation?

I don't live in CA ,but here in Hawaii , Jan 1 is not a Holy Day of Obligation, however ,our parish priest will hold mass at 9am and encourages everyone that it is a good way to start the NEW YEAR with CHRIST....I think him wise.....With Warmth & Aloha, LynneMarie
Old Dec 28, '08, 11:57 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

I was told at my church that it wasn't a holy day of obligation for us either. Either way I can't attend mass, I'll be on a flight for the whole day. Oh well, guess it's on to confession with me.

Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Nunquam draco sit mihi dux!
Vade retro Satana! Nunquam suade mihi vana!
Sunt mala quae libas. Ipse venena bibas!

Old Dec 29, '08, 12:24 am
Book Club Member

Religion: CATHOLIC

An Ordinary can dispense with the obligation to attend mass on a Holy Day without permission from the Holy See as long as he has just cause.

Just cause can include weather, lack of priests, grave inconvenience to the faithful and several other causes that I can't recall.

To the best of my knowledge, the only day that may not be dispensed is Christmas.

This was my last training on this rule. We used this rule in the missions, because our priests had to travel to five different places to celebrate mass. It was often very draining to do this on Sunday and again two days later. In this case it would be Thursday and again on Saturday and Sunday. The trip included mass and confessions. We're talking about 2.5 hours in each place.

Fraternally,

JR

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."

How long have I waited . . .
Old Dec 29, '08, 3:08 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReducation View Post
An Ordinary can dispense with the obligation to attend mass on a Holy Day without permission from the Holy See as long as he has just cause.

Just cause can include weather, lack of priests, grave inconvenience to the faithful and several other causes that I can't recall.

To the best of my knowledge, the only day that may not be dispensed is Christmas.

This was my last training on this rule. We used this rule in the missions, because our priests had to travel to five different places to celebrate mass. It was often very draining to do this on Sunday and again two days later. In this case it would be Thursday and again on Saturday and Sunday. The trip included mass and confessions. We're talking about 2.5 hours in each place.

Fraternally,

JR
When the rest of the country is able to honour this Holy Day, it would be difficult to claim "just cause" for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, don't you think?
Old Dec 29, '08, 3:42 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Note that the term province is not JUST the Archdiocese; in the case of the Province of the Archbishop of LA, it also includes the suffragan dioceses: Fresno, Monterey, Orange, San Bernardino, San Diego.

The Byzantine Ruthenians do not have a holy day of obligation on the 1st; it is a solemn holy day, but not an obligation, throughout the Province/Church Sui Iuris of the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh (Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, Eparchies of Passaic, Van Nuys, and Parma). The 6th is obligatory: the Circumcision of the Lord.

Difference is that Sui Iuris churches are permitted by Rome to alter the obligation days somewhat. Provinces and Dioceses of the Roman Church are not without approval of their National Conference of Bishops; even then, they can only transfer the obligation days to sundays or add additional ones.

I suspect that the actual decision was that the Archbishop transferred the obligation to the sunday nearest, and simply worded it poorly.
Old Dec 29, '08, 3:47 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Note that the term province is not JUST the Archdiocese; in the case of the Province of the Archbishop of LA, it also includes the suffragan dioceses: Fresno, Monterey, Orange, San Bernardino, San Diego.

The Byzantine Ruthenians do not have a holy day of obligation on the 1st; it is a solemn holy day, but not an obligation, throughout the Province/Church Sui Iuris of the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh (Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, Eparchies of Passaic, Van Nuys, and Parma). The 6th is obligatory: the Circumcision of the Lord.
Why is the 6th the Circumcision and not Epiphany? Until the Feast of Mary, Mother of God was moved there, January 1 was known as the Circumcision of the Lord -- logical since the Jews circumcise on the 8th day.
Old Dec 29, '08, 3:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
I was told at my church that it wasn't a holy day of obligation for us either. Either way I can't attend mass, I'll be on a flight for the whole day. Oh well, guess it's on to confession with me.

If you truly cannot get to Mass because of travel then it will not be a mortal sin if you miss it. Try a Vigil mass .
Old Dec 29, '08, 4:25 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Why is the 6th the Circumcision and not Epiphany? Until the Feast of Mary, Mother of God was moved there, January 1 was known as the Circumcision of the Lord -- logical since the Jews circumcise on the 8th day.
I typoed; caught it too late. 1st is circumcision & st basil, 6th epiphany.. 6th is the obligation. tired.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments