Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 11, '09, 9:43 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Defintion of Traditonal Catholic

Perhaps this has been covered somewhere else in this forum, but I couldn't find anything that dircetly addressed it. What is the defintion of a "Traditonal Catholic". Does this refer exclusively to practioners of a Latin Mass ,or does it encompass a set of values not believed to expressed in most of todays Catholic Churches?
Old Jan 11, '09, 11:40 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Defintion of Traditonal Catholic

As I've frequently said here, the Eastern Catholic Churches are VERY traditional.
Old Jan 11, '09, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW55 View Post
Perhaps this has been covered somewhere else in this forum, but I couldn't find anything that dircetly addressed it. What is the defintion of a "Traditonal Catholic". Does this refer exclusively to practioners of a Latin Mass ,or does it encompass a set of values not believed to expressed in most of todays Catholic Churches?
I'd say at minimum a preference for the Latin Mass, at least in colloquial usage.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on Us

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on us
Old Jan 11, '09, 12:44 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Traditionalists practice Catholicism. And they reject novelty.
Old Jan 11, '09, 1:13 pm

A "traditional" Catholic is someone who was baptized into the Church, confirmed, and practices the faith as taught by Christ, the Pope, bishops and the Church.

It doesn't make one iota of difference if a person prays in latin or attends the latin Mass exclusively; a traditional Catholic is one who practices the faith of the Catholic Church.
Old Jan 11, '09, 1:25 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothysis View Post
A "traditional" Catholic is someone who was baptized into the Church, confirmed, and practices the faith as taught by Christ, the Pope, bishops and the Church.

It doesn't make one iota of difference if a person prays in latin or attends the latin Mass exclusively; a traditional Catholic is one who practices the faith of the Catholic Church.
I'd have to agree with all of that.
Old Jan 11, '09, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Believe View Post
I'd have to agree with all of that.
Old Jan 11, '09, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothysis View Post

A plain straight Catholic is someone who does all those things. Someone who attends a NO is just as Catholic as a TLM-er. "Traditional" is just a description.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on us
Old Jan 11, '09, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCarlos View Post
A plain straight Catholic is someone who does all those things. Someone who attends a NO is just as Catholic as a TLM-er. "Traditional" is just a description.
Exactly my point.
Old Jan 12, '09, 8:40 am

None of these posts are very good answers.

A traditional Catholic is not a person who "prefers" the old Latin Mass. Neither are they people simply passed Catechism class.

They are people who adhere to a type of spirituality that is largely lost in the 21st Century Catholic Church.

Truthfully, it's easier to describe their outward signs than their character: the old Latin Mass is the biggest identifier... though there are certainly traditional Catholics who are marooned in Novus Ordoland; there are likewise non-traditional Catholics who go to the TLM.

Trads are people who listen to Catholic Radio... skeptically. They might have a blog. They can list their "top-five" favorite Ecumenical Councils... none of which will rhyme with "Attican Shoe". Their friends think they're fuddy-duddys. They've got Holy Water fonts in all the bedrooms and by the front door. They quote the Douay Rheims bible. They have an opinion on offering Mass in baroque vestments while in a gothic chapel. They're tired of tinfoil hat jokes. They may not like Bishop Williamson, but concede that sometimes he's right, and when he's right, he's really right. They can tell you about Assisi. When they're at a Novus Ordo Mass, they've got their hands folded like a Catholic during the Our Father. The women have an extra mantilla in the van-- just in case. The men have an opinion on the best type of pipe tobacco for any occasion. The boys have their own cassock and surplice hanging in the closet. The girls know how to play Dies Irae on the organ. They wear a t-shirt while they go swimming so their brown scapular doesen't float away. They're willing to drive an hour to go to Mass... every Sunday. They know the confession times of at least 4 churches. They invite priests over to play cards and smoke cigars. They pray to saints that you think may not really exist. They ask you to finish the sentence when you say "John Paul the Great"... the great what? They might own a live chicken. When they're at a Novus Ordo Mass, everyone watches them to figure out why they're hitting themselves during the "Lamb of God". They're kneel after Mass to pray... and miss out on the fun gladhanding with Father by the parish gift shop. They scoff when they pass the Masonic Lodge. They cross themselves when they pass a Catholic church. They mutter something about the "poor souls" when they pass a cemetary. They mutter something about St. Michael when an ambulance passes them. Their girls' first names are Mary. Their boys' middle names are Mary. Cappa Magma doesn't sound like a drink at Starbucks to them. They'll tell you at length why being "charitable" isn't always being nice and friendly.

It's complicated. Trads are not easily defined. You just kind of know them when you see them.

"To touch the sacred species and to distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained" –PP. John Paul II, DOMINICAE CENAE, Feb 24 1980

HOMINES QUOD VOLUNT CREDUNT
http://www.WhollyRoaminCatholic.com
Old Jan 12, '09, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW55 View Post
stay around in this forum and others and you will see from Left to Right for traditional Catholic.
Old Jan 12, '09, 9:15 am

A traditional Catholic - in the post-conciliar sense - is a Catholic who wants the Mass, all sacraments and rites, and catechesis, restored to how they were before Vatican II.

It could entail more depending on the individual, but, generally speaking and in a nutshell, I'd say that's it.

- Lisa
Old Jan 12, '09, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohwesty View Post
A traditional Catholic - in the post-conciliar sense - is a Catholic who wants the Mass, all sacraments and rites, and catechesis, restored to how they were before Vatican II.

It could entail more depending on the individual, but, generally speaking and in a nutshell, I'd say that's it.

- Lisa

Best definition yet.

"To touch the sacred species and to distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained" –PP. John Paul II, DOMINICAE CENAE, Feb 24 1980

Old Jan 12, '09, 10:15 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohwesty View Post

- Lisa
That would be a radical tradionalist. There are many who would call themselves traditional who do not advocate disposing of the reforms of Vatican II.
Old Jan 12, '09, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kirchoff View Post
That would be a radical tradionalist. There are many who would call themselves traditional who do not advocate disposing of the reforms of Vatican II.
No, you're wrong. Lisa's answer would be the normative answer to the question "what is a traditional Catholic?". A rad trad is someone like a sedevacantist or a trad who can't figure out the difference between Catholicism and Jansenism, Donatism or Puritanism.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism