Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 15, '09, 8:25 pm
Greeter

Religion: Katholikos
Default Re: Which denominations are most hostile to Catholicism?

Christian Knight,

It is probably a personal experience type of thing. I for one have not encountered any anti-Catholicism from Southern Baptists, but I have only met maybe a couple. I have experienced anti-Catholicism from Pentecostalism (most notably the Assembly of God). My proof? Exhibit A is my wife being shunned by her father (AoG) for converting to Catholicism and being told that he wants no part of her life.

This, however, could have more to do with this individuals narrow mindedness and not the result of his AoG background. But I can't be sure

God bless

"I will bring you to the land not of questions but of answers,
and you shall see the face of God."

The Spirit to the Ghost;
C.S. Lewis The Great Divorce
Old Jan 15, '09, 8:27 pm

Religion: None
Send a message via MSN to ChristianKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Catholic View Post
Christian Knight,

It is probably a personal experience type of thing. I for one have not encountered any anti-Catholicism from Southern Baptists, but I have only met maybe a couple. I have experienced anti-Catholicism from Pentecostalism (most notably the Assembly of God). My proof? Exhibit A is my wife being shunned by her father (AoG) for converting to Catholicism and being told that he wants no part of her life.

This, however, could have more to do with this individuals narrow mindedness and not the result of his AoG background. But I can't be sure

God bless
Well, I do not see how Southern Baptists are on the list. I have been to about (roughly a dozen churches, but possibly more, I am counting larger churches), none of them Anti-Catholic.
Old Jan 15, '09, 8:38 pm
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKnight View Post
Well, I do not see how Southern Baptists are on the list. I have been to about (roughly a dozen churches, but possibly more, I am counting larger churches), none of them Anti-Catholic.
I don't know

Do Southern Baptist hold that the term Catholic Christian is an oxymoron? Do they feel Catholics need to be evangelized? Or do they see Catholics as brothers and sisters in Christ?

Or has it been your experience that the Catholic Church is not discussed period in the Southern Baptists Churches? Good or bad?

God bless

The Spirit to the Ghost;
Old Jan 15, '09, 8:47 pm

Religion: Protestant

Quote:
Christian Knight,

God bless
This is really sad. I could never tell my child that I wanted nothing to do with them because of something like this or anything else for that matter than I can think of. I mean is he not just glad that is attending a Christian church?? I do know what you mean though, I have seen this narrow mindedness also with the pentecostal faith (I am one, so I can say that! lol). I think it is more of a self righteous attitidue. I think that is an attitude that we need really watch ourselves with because it can become dangerous. HOWEVER, also with that being said, I know Catholics that would say the same thing about my husband attending church with me. So, instead of being glad that he is attending church with me, I think they would rather see him not attending at all.....so in my opinion that is the same narrow mindedness. I just don't see how your FIL could do that. Really sad.
Old Jan 15, '09, 8:53 pm

Quote:
I don't know

Do Southern Baptist hold that the term Catholic Christian is an oxymoron? Do they feel Catholics need to be evangelized? Or do they see Catholics as brothers and sisters in Christ?

Or has it been your experience that the Catholic Church is not discussed period in the Southern Baptists Churches? Good or bad?

God bless
I do not really care whether Catholics should be evangelized or not. I do care when people accuse Southern Baptists of being anti-catholic.

I have never heard the RCC mentioned in any Baptist Church I've been to.
Old Jan 15, '09, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidefan View Post
This is really sad. I could never tell my child that I wanted nothing to do with them because of something like this or anything else for that matter than I can think of. I mean is he not just glad that is attending a Christian church??
Is this a question about me or directed at me?
Old Jan 15, '09, 9:04 pm
Greeter

Quote:
[color="Red"] I mean is he not just glad that is attending a Christian church??
Catholics are not Christian in his eyes. Come to think of it most of all the Christian Churches are Apostate Christianity to him anyways so he doesn't really single Catholicism out. He's more anti-everyone.

Quote:
I do know what you mean though, I have seen this narrow mindedness also with the pentecostal faith (I am one, so I can say that! lol). I think it is more of a self righteous attitidue. I think that is an attitude that we need really watch ourselves with because it can become dangerous.
Like I said, I am not sure if this had more to do with him than with his AoG background. I am hoping that this was a character flaw (pride, ego, ect) in him and not a result of his church. He has recently started to come back around. It is amazing what grandchildren can do to someone's heart.
Quote:
HOWEVER, also with that being said, I know Catholics that would say the same thing about my husband attending church with me.
I have no doubts that both sides have done their share of this. I have, however, learned what not to do if my children start inquiring about another faith.

God bless

The Spirit to the Ghost;
Old Jan 15, '09, 9:09 pm
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKnight View Post
Is this a question about me or directed at me?
No it was directed to me about my wife and the consequences of her conversion to the Catholic faith.

Quote:
I do not really care whether Catholics should be evangelized or not.
Is this because there is no need, or because there is a need but you don't care about the state of our souls? In a way maybe we should be flattered when someone cares enough to try to share with us what they feel is truth?

Quote:
I do care when people accuse Southern Baptists of being anti-catholic.
Remember that I was not the one who said this

Quote:
I have never heard the RCC mentioned in any Baptist Church I've been to.
Nor have I ever heard anything uttered about the Southern Baptist church at my parish.

God bless

The Spirit to the Ghost;
Old Jan 16, '09, 1:54 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Which denominations are most hostile to Catholicism
It may amuse you to hear a story I heard from an ex-Jehovah's Witness.
There was one Catholic bloke (SORRY - for you transatlantic types, that translates as 'guy') who would wait for the local JW's to call on him, demand to see a copy of 'The Awake' magazine, and look through it till he found an anti-catholic diatribe (I understand that he never failed to do so) and tear the journal up as being blasphemous.
I have met a lot of anti-catholic people during my time as a fundamentalist Baptist, but I think that the JW's beat the lot. They are insistent ALL Catholics will be destroyed at Armageddon as being part of the Whore, Babylon the Great.
Keith
Old Jan 16, '09, 3:06 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Passionate Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinatorstark View Post
Fundamentalist(if that is a true religion), Southern Baptists, Pentecostals(including Assembly of God)
I have just sighted this thread.

Insofar as "fundamentalists" are concerned, in my understanding you will not find a denomination calling itself "fundamentalist". Rather, fundamentalism is a radical attitude and you will find Islamic fundamentalists (like the Jihadists, Islamists), you will also find fundamentalist Christians and Jews for example.

People do not want truth - they want reassurance (Anon)
Old Jan 16, '09, 3:39 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
In answer to the question of the OP, I would say the Christian and Missionary Alliance denomination (C&MA).

This denomination started in the early 20th Century as a branch of Presbyterianism, which is a "Calvinist" denomination (actually Knox, not John Calvin, started Presbyterianism).
........................................ ..

It has been about twenty years since my family was part of the C&MA, but we have continued to receive the denominational magazine. I have read some anti-Catholic stuff in the magazine (mainly the denouncements of pagan practices among Latino Catholics), but not as much as I used to. I suspect that in this day and age of international terrorism and the rapid advance of Islam, that perhaps the C&MA has softened its stance against Catholics, and has chosen to work with them rather than speak against them. I'm not sure if the Catholic Church has reciprocated the charitable attitudes, but I suspect that under Pope John Paul II, a more ecumenical and cooperative atmosphere became the norm in Christian mission fields outside of the U.S. I hope so.
I am Catholic born on the Island of Mauritius and have lived in South Africa for many years. I was educated in Catholic Convents (most students were Protestants) and never once did I ever experience any antagonism.

I have seen from certain Protestant's expression that they did not approve of the Catholic Church - but not a word.

And so it was an eye-opener and a surprise when I read Karl Keating's book Fundamentalism and Catholicism to learn of the many books that have been written condemning and bashing the Catholic Church. Later I became acquainted with Protestants who were vocal about their anti-Catholicism. The media has not always been kind to the Catholic Church.

On other threads I have asked if anyone knew of any Catholic who has written a book that was anti-non-Catholics. I did not receive a single reply.

I do know however that there are non-Catholics who have made it a career to propagate anti-Catholicism.

I do know that Catholic Charities help all who are in need - they do not have to be Catholic. I myself have donated money to the Salvation Army. The St Vincent de Paul Society here in South
Africa offers assistance to people of all faiths, even muslims. Charity must be extended to EVERYBODY. If the Church discriminated against the poor what kind of charity would that be?

Cinette

Old Jan 16, '09, 3:44 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Well first of all any "Christian" that judges another by saying they are aren't "Christian" is sinning itself. That is not for us to determine. We will stand in judgement before a God that will do that for us one day. I just had a problem with you saying "BAD" which was exactly your quote. With that I took you saying that MY church is bad which is the Church of God organization. There would be no difference if I had come in here and said the same of yours in which I would have never done. Again, I am not saying that some churches probably do say negative things about the Catholics. Just as I said I know there are Catholics that say negative things about us. Does that make a differerence?? I don't think either should be running the other down. And yes I happen to know of 3 Catholics who are attending my church that would NEVER say anything negative about the Catholic church. I don't think you Catholics realize that some of the other churches don't set around and have you or your beliefs as topics as much as you would like to think. I think we have more praising and worshiping of God to worry about what you are doing.
When the poster said that your church was BAD I interpreted it to mean in regard to attitudes towards the Catholic Church, not that your church was bad. There is a difference.

Old Jan 16, '09, 4:14 am
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

I think this makes a good argument that the Southern Baptist denominatino is not anti-Catholic:

http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2001/01-180.shtml

My husband and I briefly belonged to a Southern Baptist church (for two years in 1980-82). We didn't find it to be anti-Catholic, but then, we didn't find it to be particularly pro-Christian either. We got involved in one of the "liberal" Southern Baptist churches that taught a mushy theology and fluffy "love one another" version of the Bible. That's why we got out.

The problem with the Southern Baptist denomination that we saw back then is that the churches varied so much. Some of the Southern Baptist churches are very "strict" and "fundamental," while others are so liberal that they approach a paganism. One of the Southern Baptist churches in our city actually allowed a coven of witches to use their church building on Sundays to hold meetings! Yikes!

So that would explain why some people here have run across Southern Baptist churches who are extremely hostile to Catholics, while others would probably be willing to welcome a priest into the pulpit and a Catholic schola into the choir loft!
Old Jan 16, '09, 6:20 am

Religion: Lutheran - ELCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_1958 View Post
The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod's doctrinal statement on the Antichrist says that "all characteristics of the Antichrist are fulfilled in the papacy of the Roman Catholic Church". (The Complete Guide to Christian Denominations, Rhodes, pg 236). I went to thier website, www.wels.net, and sure enough -- it's true!
It is true that some Lutherans remain committed to historic condemnations of Catholicism. I am a life-long Lutheran and have experienced some of that. The pastor who confirmed me (50+ years ago) was as anti-Catholic as they come. It took a number of years before I was able to distance myself from what he taught about the Roman Catholic Church.

My feelings about Catholicism were tested when our oldest daughter was about to enter kindergarten. Out of the blue (at least to me) my wife said she would like to enroll her in the local parochial school as our neighborhood elementary school did not have a great reputation and my wife thought it would be good to have a Christian influence in our daughter's education. I sort of took a deep breath and said "OK." We continued sending all three daughters to that school.

Roll ahead a few years. That oldest daughter was now in college and sent us a brochure about a conference to be held at the college. The Aquinas-Luther Conferences were held in cooperation between the North Carolina Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the dioceses of Raleigh and Charlotte. Catholic and Lutheran theologians present papers on some aspect of theology, based on teachings of Aquinas and Luther. The conferences had a marked influence on my perception of Catholicism and also led to my hearing the call to the ministry.

Roll ahead a couple more years. Nearing retirement in my first career, I enter seminary part-time. I enroll in the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg. LTSG is a member school of the Washington Theological Consortium and students are able to take classes in other WTC schools. While I continued to work I took classes in three Catholic schools -- Washington Theological Union, Catholic University, and the Dominican House of Studies. Had someone told me, twenty-five or thirty years earlier, that I would even attend seminary, let alone study in Catholic institutions, I would have thought they were crazy.

I've gone a bit off track here, but to steer back, I have attached a copy of a covenant between the Northwestern Ohio Synod of the ELCA and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Toledo to show that all Lutherans are not anti-Catholic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NWOS-DOT covenant.pdf (108.3 KB, 56 views)

We should fear and love God so that we do not deceitfully belie, betray, backbite, nor slander our neighbor, but apologize for him, speak well of him, and put the most charitable construction on all that he does.
(Luther's explanation of the 8th commandment)
Old Jan 16, '09, 6:34 am

Religion: CATHLOIC

I Think If You Live In The South It Is The Baptist , They Will Come Right Out And Tell You Are Not Saved If You Are Cathloic. My Daughter Is Baptist And She Tell Me Its Time To Get Saved,we Just Do Not Talk Religion Any More. She Loves God And I Love God And Thats It
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions