Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 10, '09, 4:19 am

Religion: Catholic
Default What should we do on Good Friday?

What are we supposed to be doing on Good Friday actually?
Old Apr 10, '09, 4:30 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What should we do on Good Friday?

It's a day for staying quiet with family, fasting, praying, getting to church if possible. Especially around 3pm, when Our Lord died. That's how my family kept Good Friday while we were growing up, and that's how I keep it now.

I do let the children color the Easter eggs today.

My son said he had track practice at high school this morning. I said if he really wants to go, he'll have to walk because I'm not taking him. I can't believe they had the gall to schedule a mandatory practice today. I think I'll write his coach a letter and let him know how I feel about that.

Louis De Monfort, True Devotion to Mary.

Put all the good works in the world against one Holy Mass.
They will be as a grain of sand beside a mountain.
St. John Vianney
Old Apr 10, '09, 4:40 am

Well actually it is already Friday night for me since I am in Asia, I am an American but I am teaching in Asia. I worked until 7:30 pm and I don't think there was a mass, well I don't think today is a obligatory mass day, is it? If it is, I don't think it is here but I don't know. I can't be with my family as they are not here haha. I have fasted today but I accidentally ate just a little meat, it was in something I ate, I didn't even remember until after I ate it, sigh. I am upset about that because I always forget things like this.

I was going to relax and watch some t.v. and play a game since I am rather tired and worn out. Is that something I should not do?
Old Apr 10, '09, 5:21 am
Book Club Member

In the Philippines, everything shuts down here, offices and schools during Holy Thursday and Good Friday.

I wasn't able to catch the seven last words in church or the accompanying prayers. So I joined the procession afterwards. Accompanied by many people, a train of holy images and a station wagon with some ladies reciting the Rosary, We walked through several streets for 2 hours during sunset.

I think all you need to do is just do something holy to commemorate the Lord's passion, meditation or prayer depending on your situation (along with fasting and abstinence) and joining activities (if available) in your local parish.
John 5:39-40

You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to Me;
Yet you refuse to come to Me that you may have life.
Old Apr 10, '09, 5:37 am

Yeah, the Philippines is a very Catholic country. I am in South Korea which has maybe 4 or so million Catholics, but most Koreans are either some form of Protestant denomination, atheist or buddhist. I don't really know what is required of Catholics in this country. I have no idea what I am supposed to do today.
Old Apr 10, '09, 5:39 am

Party time.
Old Apr 10, '09, 5:43 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to stthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ View Post
Well actually it is already Friday night for me since I am in Asia, I am an American but I am teaching in Asia. I worked until 7:30 pm and I don't think there was a mass, well I don't think today is a obligatory mass day, is it? If it is, I don't think it is here but I don't know. I can't be with my family as they are not here haha. I have fasted today but I accidentally ate just a little meat, it was in something I ate, I didn't even remember until after I ate it, sigh. I am upset about that because I always forget things like this.

I was going to relax and watch some t.v. and play a game since I am rather tired and worn out. Is that something I should not do?
Catholic? Instead of watching tv or playing games maybe spending time meditating and giving thanks to Jesus for all he did for you....just a thought
Old Apr 10, '09, 6:01 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

We should be recollected in Christ like every other day, but today especially (Good Friday) we should be in much silent meditation on his death and experience what we experience whenever we lose someone to death: loss and gratitude for the person's life. We should attend the memorial service at Church, fast and abstain from meat and be in awe at the great mystery to follow tomorrow night when we celebrate His rising to new life. But mostly we should be in awe at His death on this day and what it means to us that He was entombed and really dead as our Redeemer to defeat death with one final blow of His Power on the third day. A Blessed Triduum to all!
Old Apr 10, '09, 6:26 am

Quote:
Yeah, the Philippines is a very Catholic country. I am in South Korea which has maybe 4 or so million Catholics, but most Koreans are either some form of Protestant denomination, atheist or buddhist. I don't really know what is required of Catholics in this country. I have no idea what I am supposed to do today.
It doesn't matter where you are. Catholics are still Catholics no matter what country they may be in. Good Friday is a day that should be spent quietly, in meditation of the pain and suffering Jesus went through for us. What you do on Good Friday comes from your heart. You had mentioned playing a game or watching t.v. to relax. Would you consider prayer and meditation instead? Today is a day that is especially meaningful for praying the Stations of the cross. If you don't know all of the stations, a quick google would bring up the info. Praying of the rosary is also appropriate today. Also, today is the day that you would start the novena of Divine Mercy because next Sunday will be Divine Mercy Sunday.

You are right, today is the one day that there is no mass because it was the day that our loving savior Jesus died for us and was placed in the tomb. There is a eucharistic service instead that is not obligatory. Last night, at Holy Thursday mass, where many parishes do the washing of the feet, extra hosts are consecrated so that a eucharistic service can be held on Good Friday instead.

Most parishes also pray the stations of the cross. Our parish used to have a living stations of the cross every year which was absolutely beautiful. To see the stations acted out as we pray them was a wonderful blessing and we always had very few dry eyes in the end. These past few years that the coordinator for the Living Stations of the Cross has been unable to organize it, our parish still has our Good Friday Eucharistic Service but we pass around the large throughout the church so the parishioners actually have an opportunity to carry the cross. Afterwards, we have veneration of the cross.

You had mentioned that you're in South Korea. Some of our most faithful parishioners at our parish our from South Korea. They attend daily mass at our parish even if they have a difficult time with the English language. On Sundays, they make the long drive into Korea Town to attend mass at a Korean speaking church. I see them often sitting in the chapel in quiet meditation and prayer. I saw them at our Holy Thursday Mass last night and expect to see them at the eucharistic service today. Don't let the language barrier keep you away from the church while you are there. Try to keep Jesus close to your heart where ever you are.

Happy Easter to you.
Old Apr 10, '09, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic_FC View Post
Party time.
LOL
Old Apr 10, '09, 6:48 am

I never miss mass, I go every Sunday and yes, Korean people seem to generally be more devout then others I have experienced. It isn't a matter of missing mass, it is a matter of not knowing what is going on. South Korea is a different country and they follow different customs and traditions and such. They don't have the same requirements for fasting, etc. It is difficult for me to find any information on these things as there is no place I can go to research on it in my own language. I also am just coming back to the faith only several months ago and I am still learning what I need to know. This is my first Lenten season since I have come back and I am just unfamiliar with what I need to do. I already messed up a little this past month and I don't want to mess up anymore due to ignorance or carelessness.
Old Apr 10, '09, 6:52 am
Banned

Post on Catholic Answers...of course.
Old Apr 10, '09, 7:18 am

Quote:
I never miss mass, I go every Sunday and yes, Korean people seem to generally be more devout then others I have experienced. It isn't a matter of missing mass, it is a matter of not knowing what is going on. South Korea is a different country and they follow different customs and traditions and such. They don't have the same requirements for fasting, etc. It is difficult for me to find any information on these things as there is no place I can go to research on it in my own language. I also am just coming back to the faith only several months ago and I am still learning what I need to know. This is my first Lenten season since I have come back and I am just unfamiliar with what I need to do. I already messed up a little this past month and I don't want to mess up anymore due to ignorance or carelessness.
First of all, I'd like to apologize if what I said may have offended you. That wasn't my intent. In my clumsy way I was trying to give you encouragement. I guess it came out wrong. Never having lived in another country, I just assumed we all practiced in the same way everywhere. It must be very difficult sitting in mass when you don't understand what is being said.

Welcome back to the church. The shephard must be having a wonderful party for the lost sheep that has returned to his flock. With that thought, you don't have to worry about "messing up". Our wonderful loving Father knows that you're just finding your way back to Him and sees the struggles you are having being in a different country. Since you're not familiar with their customs, just celebrate the way you always have. Don't worry about being careless or making mistakes. And if you do, don't let the guilt linger. Knowing what's in your heart, God knows when you make a mistake and forgives you.

What will you be doing for Easter? Are you alone there? Do you have any family or friends that you can spend the day with? I've offered up a prayer that you have a joyous day.

Love and Blessings to you.
Old Apr 10, '09, 7:33 am

I apologize if I came off as sounding as if I was offended. Not at all. I am truly appreciative of any advice. Sadly I am still lacking in areas, such as patience. I tend to get aggravated when I feel people aren't really listening to what I am saying or don't fully understand my situation. I apologize if I came off as being rude in anyway. It is tough for me but I am trying my best. I feel as if I was meant to come to Korea because in doing so, God has brought me back to him. I am truly blessed that God has seen fit to come searching for me as he did, because he really did. I just don't want to let him down or disappoint him, as I unfortunately do even though I try not to. I do look forward to returning home because I miss being part of mass back home, but I have been able to find faith and strength with God's Grace and for that I am thankful. The funny thing is that I can understand some of the most complex teachings of the Church but its' the basics and traditions and such which I really need to get stuck in my head. I guess it is a way that God humbles me, and I assure you I need humbling. I do not have anyone to share Easter with actually. I do have a girlfriend here in Korea, but she is sort of an agnostic I guess, but I am hoping in time to bring her to the faith. She is only out of ignorance though, and she knows absolutely nothing about Christianity. She grew up in an atheist/buddhist family and again most Koreans are atheist/buddhist with heavy influence from China and Japan in their history. I feel as if I am supposed to be with her and I really want to help her see God's love. It is difficult though because she can't really understand it since she doesn't know anything about it but I am trying to slowly give her info and stuff. I can't spend Easter with her though so I will be alone but, it is okay. I never feel lonely, not since I have come back to God. I do however long for the kind of Christian companionship which I read about in the early Church. It is difficult for me to become close with others, which is something I am trying to work on but it is difficult.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality