Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 23, '09, 4:05 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: New Age
Talking Esther Hicks on Christianity and The Bible

Watch this wonderful video from Abraham (channeled from Esther Hicks) on the Bible which only displays Abraham's intelligence and understanding.

http://enlightenmentbyiris.magnify.n...cks-on-religio
Old Apr 23, '09, 9:29 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilVaz
Exclamation Abraham vs. Abraham

Hicks disciple << which only displays Abraham's intelligence and understanding >>

You sure about that? This channeled "Abraham" says we are God, the biblical Abraham said God is God (and Jesus refers to the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc). Slight difference.

Calling Sharon Lee Giganti again! (AUDIO)

What Hicks does has historically been called "Mediumship" or "Spiritism" which is condemned by the Bible and the Church (see Catechism sections 2110ff). Consequently, her New Age "message" contradicts the Bible and the Church. Her biblical verses ("Ask and you shall receive", and "the kingdom of heaven is within [or in the midst of] you", etc) notwithstanding.

Sections from the old Baltimore Catechism on same:

Q. 1158. What are mediums and spiritists?

A. Mediums and spiritists are persons who pretend to converse with the dead or with spirits of the other world. They pretend also to give this power to others, that they may know what is going on in heaven, purgatory or hell.

Q. 1159. What other practice is very dangerous to faith and morals?

A. Another practice very dangerous to faith and morals is the use of mesmerism or hypnotism, because it is liable to sinful abuses, for it deprives a person for a time of the control of his reason and will and places his body and mind entirely in the power of another.

Q. 1160. What are fortune tellers?

A. Fortune tellers are imposters who, learning the past, or guessing at it, pretend to know also the future and to be able to reveal it to anyone who pays for the knowledge. They pretend also to know whatever concerns things lost or stolen, and the secret thoughts, actions or intentions of others.

Q. 1161. How do we, by believing in spells, charms, mediums, spiritists and fortune tellers, attribute to creatures the perfections of God?

A. By believing in spells, charms, mediums, spiritists and fortune tellers we attribute to creatures the perfections of God because we expect these creatures to perform miracles, reveal the hidden judgments of God, and make known His designs for the future with regard to His creatures, things that only God Himself may do.

Q. 1162. Is it sinful to consult mediums, spiritists, fortune tellers and the like when we do not believe in them, but through mere curiosity to hear what they may say?

A. It is sinful to consult mediums, spiritists, fortune tellers and the like even when we do not believe in them, but through mere curiosity, to hear what they may say:

1. Because it is wrong to expose ourselves to the danger of sinning even though we do not sin;
2. Because we may give scandal to others who are not certain that we go through mere curiosity;
3. Because by our pretended belief we encourage these impostors to continue their wicked practices.

Very clear. BTW, I have the Hicks DVD "Money, and the Law of Attraction." It is very jumbled New Age speak. Basically, (1) we are God or "source/pure energy" or "infinite intelligence", (2) we are not our body, (3) there is no sin/evil, (4) there is no death/pain/suffering, (5) anything we want is ours, we just have to change our thoughts, etc. Not a livable or believable or realistic philosophy if you ask me. It is a delusion.

Phil P
Old Apr 23, '09, 11:22 pm

Religion: Knight of the Catholic Army.
Default Re: Esther Hicks on Christianity and The Bible

I just watched this video, To be honest, She really did not say much of anything. It jsut going around in circles and no point! I cant believe people are so enraptured by her!
Old Apr 24, '09, 4:26 pm
Trial Membership

Hey, I'm back again. It seems you guys aren't very fond of Abraham. And aren't you supposed to believe "Love others as you love yourself?" So with that in mind, perhaps you can have an open heart about Abraham.

In addition, no, Abraham does not teach that we are God. Abraham teaches that since God is everywhere, including us in our bodies and souls and minds, Christ consciousness is present within us.

Here is a link to a beautiful speech from Abraham on how It is good to feel good.
http://www.abraham-hicks.com/lawofat...ce/rampage.php
Old Apr 24, '09, 5:21 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramentia View Post
Hey, I'm back again. It seems you guys aren't very fond of Abraham. p
we're crazy about Abraham and honor him as patriarch. we are not very fond of people who break the 1st commandment, and do so moreover as a money-making scheme and delude the innocent, by claiming to engage in nonsense like channeling.
Old Apr 24, '09, 5:23 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to CWBetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
we're crazy about Abraham and honor him as patriarch. we are not very fond of people who break the 1st commandment, and do so moreover as a money-making scheme and delude the innocent, by claiming to engage in nonsense like channeling.
Channeling is very real. And dangerous. However this woman was not channeling Abraham. Don't forget that the Evil One knows the scriptures
Old Apr 24, '09, 9:10 pm

Quote:
Hey, I'm back again. It seems you guys aren't very fond of Abraham. And aren't you supposed to believe "Love others as you love yourself?" So with that in mind, perhaps you can have an open heart about Abraham.
I mean this in the most charitable way possible, but if your goal is to get Catholics to think about the New Age teachings of Abraham, Seth, and so forth, you should probably not lead off by sending us a video clip that begins with a man saying "When I was a Christian, I was programmed..."

My Catholicism is not "programming," thank you very much. Try telling someone who has been through RCIA that they were "programmed" to accept the conclusions they did.

Moreover, Ms. Hicks began her response to that man's statement by saying that she wanted to frame what the man had said in a way that made him feel better. But I am not interested in what feels good; I am interested in what is true, and many of the people who will encounter this thread will undoubtedly feel the same way.

If you want to try to demonstrate the objective truth of the Law of Attraction, very well. But leading off with a video that describes Christianity as "programming" is not going to get you off to a great start.
Old Apr 24, '09, 9:54 pm

Exclamation Esther Hicks is dead wrong

Dramentia on Abraham/Hicks << In addition, no, Abraham does not teach that we are God. Abraham teaches that since God is everywhere, including us in our bodies and souls and minds, Christ consciousness is present within us. >>

I.E. We are God, according to Hicks. There is no "Christ consciousness." Again, that is New Age speak. Christ was the God-Man. He is God incarnate (John 1:1-18). We are not Gods, we are not God incarnate (Num 23:19; Isaiah 43:10ff; Jer 17:9; Luke 6:45; Romans 1:19-25; etc).

Here, let's make this a little more clear. "Abraham" through Hicks explaining who "Abraham" is and who we are. In short, we are "Eternal Beings in a Physical Form":

"Most physical beings do not fully understand what we mean when we say, 'You are non-physical energy expressing through this body. You are Eternal Beings.' Ah! Eternal Beings! It's hard to get your thoughts around a word, or a feeling like that, isn't it? Think about it. You are Eternal Beings which means, you are Forever and Ever. There must be way more before you than there could ever be behind you. We are all Eternal Beings." (Abraham-Hicks from "There is No Death" or "You are an Eternal Being in Physical Form")

She also refers to us as "Infinite Intelligence" and "Source Energy" and Co-"Creators" and "Pure Love" and "Eternal Beings" and "you have knowledge of all things" in the "Money, and the Law of Attraction" DVD which I own.

I do not know how much clearer one can say: "we are God." (or Gods, plural)

And the Psalms say only God is "from everlasting to everlasting" (Psalm 90:2) and only God has knowledge of all things (Psalm 139, Isaiah 40, etc). We are not "from everlasting to everlasting" but as creatures, we had a beginning. We have bodies and souls/spirits (Matt 10:28; 1 Thess 5:23), but our soul is not God, it is not "Christ consciousness" which is a made up New Age concept. We are fallen creatures, who make mistakes, who sin (1 John 1:7-9). Only Christ was perfect (1 Peter 1:19; 1 John 3:5; Heb 4:15; etc), and Christ is not a "consciousness," but God Incarnate. Clear enough?

Nope sorry, "Abraham" says we are all God, we are perfect, there is no sin/death, there is no separation between God and creation, etc. This is the old lie of the Serpent in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3) who taught:

(1) There is no death ("ye shall not surely die!")
(2) You are God ("ye shall be as gods!")
(3) God is not personal but a force (a little less clear and....)
(4) The "secret" is knowledge, you just have to change your thinking, and everything shall be yours, etc.

Although I don't agree with Dave Hunt on a lot of things, as a fundamentalist/evangelical some things he gets right. And here is one of those things: see "The Serpent's Four Lies" (pdf).

If "Abraham" can't get right who we are, and who God is, why listen to anything "Abraham" has to say, especially when it matches those original Four Lies of the serpent?

Phil P
Old Apr 26, '09, 6:47 am
Trial Membership

Lightbulb Re: Esther Hicks on Christianity and The Bible

I would like to explain the whole eternal beings concept. As you understand you are made up of cells, these cells are made of atoms, which are in turn made of energy. You also understand that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, since you are ultimately made of energy, you cannot die because the essence of your energy cannot die.

Oh, PhilVaz, you mentioned that you had Money & the LOA. Good for you, the next step is to apply that knowledge & you will be AMAZED at the results!
Old Apr 26, '09, 9:07 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I would like to explain the whole eternal beings concept. As you understand you are made up of cells, these cells are made of atoms, which are in turn made of energy. You also understand that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, since you are ultimately made of energy, you cannot die because the essence of your energy cannot die.

Oh, PhilVaz, you mentioned that you had Money & the LOA. Good for you, the next step is to apply that knowledge & you will be AMAZED at the results!
Your knowlede of physics leaves much to be desired. Atoms are NOT made of energy. They are composed uf subatomic particles. You are correct (somewhat) in your statement oabout destruction of energy. Neither energu nor matter can be created or destroyed, but cna only be convertered from one form to another. Furhtermore you are giving us a half-truth in that your "essesnce" or mor properly, your soul cannot be destroyed. But your soul wil ultimitely spend an eternity, without being destroyed, in heaven or hell.
Old Apr 26, '09, 9:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWBetts View Post
Your knowlede of physics leaves much to be desired. Atoms are NOT made of energy.
And even if they were, this would be a first-class example of the fallacy of composition. The fact that subatomic particles are "immortal" in the sense that matter is conserved does not entail that clinical death doesn't exist.

Dramentia, you surely didn't mean to imply that clinical death--the point at which an organism's biological functions cease--doesn't exist...
Old Apr 26, '09, 11:24 am
Trial Membership

Red face Re: Esther Hicks on Christianity and The Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJx86 View Post
And even if they were, this would be a first-class example of the fallacy of composition. The fact that subatomic particles are "immortal" in the sense that matter is conserved does not entail that clinical death doesn't exist.

Dramentia, you surely didn't mean to imply that clinical death--the point at which an organism's biological functions cease--doesn't exist...
Of course I believe that we exit the perspective that we have in this current Time-Space reality.
Old Apr 26, '09, 11:29 am
Trial Membership

Question Re: Esther Hicks on Christianity and The Bible

Oops I forgot. I find it interesting some Catholics accept modern physics, which I believe most Catholics would reject.
Old Apr 26, '09, 3:44 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Oops I forgot. I find it interesting some Catholics accept modern physics, which I believe most Catholics would reject.
Thewre is nothig else to say but you know nothing of Catholicism. In fact, a great number of scientific discovery has come through Catholicism. The scientific method was formulated by Catholics. It was the CHurch that developed the university system. Modern scientific thoeries are accepted by the Church insomuch as they do not attempt to circumvent the power of God. The very basis of what you are trying to promulagate is contrary to teachings of the Church. Where do you get your ideas that "most Catholics" reject modern physics? I believe it is something you must have imagined.
Old Apr 26, '09, 8:26 pm

Lightbulb Apply the Teaching

Hicks/Abraham << Oh, PhilVaz, you mentioned that you had Money & the LOA. Good for you, the next step is to apply that knowledge & you will be AMAZED at the results! >>

I got the DVD. Now I need to figure out which of these philosophies I shall be applying, since I cannot apply them both at the same time.

“There is no sin. . . ” vs. "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"

A “slain Christ has no meaning” vs. "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

“The journey to the cross should be the last ‘useless journey.’” vs. "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life."

“Do not make the pathetic error of ‘clinging to the old rugged cross.’” vs. "And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."

“The Name of Jesus Christ as such is but a symbol… It is a symbol that is safely used as a replacement for the many names of all the gods to which you pray.” vs. "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

“God is in everything I see.” vs. "And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things....Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen."

“The recognition of God is the recognition of yourself.” vs. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

“The Atonement is the final lesson he [man] need learn, for it teaches him that, never having sinned, he has no need of salvation.” vs. "For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."

Phil P

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics