Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Calorie Counters :)

Catholic Calorie Counters :) Click here to visit this social group

Old Apr 1, '09, 2:09 pm

Religion: Catholic
Thumbs up A place to share, support, love, reach out, celebrate!

I think it's really important to reflect on our goals, our intentions, and our path. I think it's equally important to share our goals, our intentions, and our path with others. Getting our ideas out of our own heads and sharing them with others can be a little intimidating -- "What if I don't make it?" "I don't want others to know if I'm failing." and so on... But when we share this stuff, we also make it possible for others to support us, and in relative anonymity.

Let's keep this a safe space of love and support. No judgements. No worries. Just loving pushes every now and then, or loving listening, or loving celebrations... and lots and lots of prayer!

I've started with sharing some of my own goals, intentions, and rewards. Please jump in with your own as well.

What are you hoping to accomplish by losing weight?

I want to play with my son without feeling tired or sore.
I want to have a higher energy level all around.
I want to protect my health.
I want to be an athlete (runner).
I want to be a dancer (again).
I want to be able to wear some of my old "pretty" clothes.
I want to hike up to the Continental Divide.
I want to hike to a few mountain tops (again).
I want to honor and serve God by caring for the unique body He created just for me.

How much weight do you need (hope) to lose?

I need to lose about 60 pounds I think. I'm not really clear about the whole BMI thing.

What "rewards" can you give yourself along the way?

A good friend of mine introduced me to manicures and pedicures. And I also love the theater. So here's the plan:
Lose five pounds: manicure
Lose fifteen pounds: pedicure
Lose twenty-five pounds: get hair "done"
Lose thirty-five pounds: Go to a community theater production
Lose forty-five pounds: manicure and pedicure
Lose fifty-five pounds: buy a cute (and modest) summer dress
Lose sixty pounds: Go to a prefessional theater production (and write to Pope Benedict to have a miracle declared )

God bless y'all!
Gertie

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Old Apr 2, '09, 7:33 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Default Re: A place to share, support, love, reach out, celebrate!

I need to lose 40 pounds. I want more energy. I have a wedding to attend in July and would like to be about half-way there by then. If I am, I will reward myself with a new dress for the wedding. I have I blood pressure & hight choleterol. I want to be able to reduce my medications.
Old Apr 2, '09, 4:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

Hey Gertie this is a great idea..here is my info

I want to prevent diabetes and heart disease and high blood pressure all of which run on my dads side and my moms side..my dear Papa died of a heart attack at only 49.

I want to walk all day at the mall or outside without my knees, ankles, and legs hurting

I want to swim without worry about my largeness

I want to buy some nice summer dresses also..modest of course

My friends are losing weight so I don't want to be the last fat lady standing

Im shooting for the big 50 pounds

hmm have not thought about this one..ok
10 lbs ..new shirt
20 lbs...new jeans
30 lbs..new cd
40 lbs..new dress
50 lbs..dinner out..at a healthy restaurant

Jesus, I trust in You
Old Apr 7, '09, 6:07 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I want to have more energy.
I want to be able to spend time with my nieces and nephews and godchildren without being quickly tired out.
I want to be able to help out with the more physical aspects of my job without being out of breath or easily tired.
I'm borderline diabetic and I want to control that before it becomes a big problem.
I want to be able to more fully participate in my dance class.

I think about 50 lbs. Right now I'm shooting for 10 at a time and keeping them off so it is a gradual change and so I can hopefully keep them off in the long run. Slow and steady wins the race.

I've been giving myself rewards like going to visit cousins, going out of town for the weekend, buying new clothes (but not too many since I hope to keep going down!), going out for movie/supper with friends, new haircut etc. along the way. These things really motivate me. I keep reminding myself that I'm doing this to help improve my life and my outlook on life. That really helps keep me going!
Old Apr 9, '09, 5:13 pm
Prayer Warrior

OK everyone I wanted to check in and let you know I have had a bad week as far as the diet goes but not too bad. I am staying stedy no gain no loss this week but I plan on stepping it up after Easter. No one should diet on Easter day..thats what I say
Whats everyone doing for Easter?
I am actually to eat with family..not cooking
God bless and Happy Easter everyone!
Amy

Jesus, I trust in You
Old Apr 12, '09, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicChick View Post
OK everyone I wanted to check in and let you know I have had a bad week as far as the diet goes but not too bad. I am staying stedy no gain no loss this week but I plan on stepping it up after Easter. No one should diet on Easter day..thats what I say
Whats everyone doing for Easter?
I am actually to eat with family..not cooking
God bless and Happy Easter everyone!
Amy
I may be down a pound or two, but I haven't checked since Thursday.

Easter is just delightful! I often pity my protestant friends who cannot celebrate the Triduum in their churches. I can't imagine having the full richness of Easter without the celebration of Holy Thursday and Good Friday. And I can't imagine celebrating Easter without the Easter Vigil!

I agree that there should be no "fasting" today, but during the renewal of our baptismal vows last night, I heard something as if for the first time. "Do you reject sin so as to live in the freedom of the children of God?" It occurs to me, on reflecting on this that losing weight, by reducing what I eat, creates a freedom I don't currently have. Not only by reducing my size and freeing my body of this burden, but by breaking the bonds of "slavery" (as it were) to emotional eating, and eating foods with little or no nutritional value.

So while I will not be fasting this Easter week, I will try to limit my feasting to nutritious foods.

Gertie

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Old Apr 14, '09, 5:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertabelle View Post
I may be down a pound or two, but I haven't checked since Thursday.

Easter is just delightful! I often pity my protestant friends who cannot celebrate the Triduum in their churches. I can't imagine having the full richness of Easter without the celebration of Holy Thursday and Good Friday. And I can't imagine celebrating Easter without the Easter Vigil!

I agree that there should be no "fasting" today, but during the renewal of our baptismal vows last night, I heard something as if for the first time. "Do you reject sin so as to live in the freedom of the children of God?" It occurs to me, on reflecting on this that losing weight, by reducing what I eat, creates a freedom I don't currently have. Not only by reducing my size and freeing my body of this burden, but by breaking the bonds of "slavery" (as it were) to emotional eating, and eating foods with little or no nutritional value.

So while I will not be fasting this Easter week, I will try to limit my feasting to nutritious foods.

Gertie
I am inspired by what you say here..You are right losing weight will give me the freedom too, to not worry so much about what I look like and worry about whats important!
Thanks so much for writing!

Jesus, I trust in You
Old Apr 15, '09, 9:40 am

Talking Re: A place to share, support, love, reach out, celebrate!

Weighed myself this morning, and by some miracle, I'm down six pounds!!!

I get to have a manicure Having those rewards to look forward to is really helping me.

And I'm so glad I have a place to share this with someone!

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Old Apr 15, '09, 8:33 pm

Way to go Gertabelle! Doesn't it feel good knowing that you can do it?

I haven't taken time to step on the scale this week. Our community is now fighting the flood so I've been trying to get prepared for that. Even though fighting a flood isn't on the top of my list of things to do it has been good exercise (sandbagging) and it has made me sort through many of the boxes I got from my aunt and 2nd cousin when they retired from teaching. I'm finding lots of good stuff! Tomorrow I think we'll start moving my neighbor's furniture from her ground level apartment up to my 2nd floor apartment.
Old Apr 15, '09, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannand View Post

I haven't taken time to step on the scale this week. Our community is now fighting the flood so I've been trying to get prepared for that. Even though fighting a flood isn't on the top of my list of things to do it has been good exercise (sandbagging) and it has made me sort through many of the boxes I got from my aunt and 2nd cousin when they retired from teaching. I'm finding lots of good stuff! Tomorrow I think we'll start moving my neighbor's furniture from her ground level apartment up to my 2nd floor apartment.
Yeah, it does feel great to know that I can do this.

More importantly, take care of yourself and your loved ones during this stressful time. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Gertie

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Old Apr 20, '09, 3:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

You all are in my prayers too during this tough time!
God bless you!
Amy

Jesus, I trust in You
Old Apr 23, '09, 7:57 pm

Thanks for the prayers! So far I'm dry but the river in my yard keeps rising. They have built many dikes and they are working!!!! We are on water restritions so the sewer doesn't back up. That's nothing compared to a neighboring town where they lost their sewer system and will have porta potties for several weeks or even months before the system is fixed. They expect the water to stay high for 4-6 more weeks--so we're not out of the woods yet.

I did get a chance to take "me time" to get things done that I needed to. I'm down another 3.5 lbs
Old Apr 24, '09, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the prayers! So far I'm dry but the river in my yard keeps rising. They have built many dikes and they are working!!!! We are on water restritions so the sewer doesn't back up. That's nothing compared to a neighboring town where they lost their sewer system and will have porta potties for several weeks or even months before the system is fixed. They expect the water to stay high for 4-6 more weeks--so we're not out of the woods yet.

I did get a chance to take "me time" to get things done that I needed to. I'm down another 3.5 lbs
Glad to hear you're keeping your home and yourself above water. Still praying for you all.

And I'm glad to hear you are also taking care of your physical well-being at this time. Good for you

Gertie

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Old Apr 27, '09, 5:06 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nicolep

I want to feel good about my body again.

I need to lose a total of 107 pounds. I have lost 21.8 already.

I haven't really thought of rewards outside what I receive in my Weight Watchers meeting. A good result on the scale is the only reward I need (at this point anyway).

"...not my will, but yours be done" Luke 22:42
Old May 6, '09, 6:40 pm
Prayer Warrior

HI OK Major news I need to loose as much weight as possible by Memorial day I am meeting my half brother and half sister for only the 2nd time in my life for the sis and 3rd time of my life for my bro!
OH MY I NEED HELP!!!!
Pray for me!!

Jesus, I trust in You

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Calorie Counters :)