Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Catholic Answers Magazine (formerly This Rock)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 4, '09, 8:12 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Karl Keating who is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Keating View Post
"Sports? Golf?"

Not sure what you're asking here (), but, no, I don't think golf should count as a sport. For some people, an obsession, maybe, but not a sport.

However that may be, I say no to golf, as I say no to tiddlywinks. I prefer mountain biking, hiking, and backpacking, all of which--unlike golf--are aerobic.
biking, hiking, backpacking....wonderful!!!....

However golf - is a wonderful activity. I know, I know, Mother Angelica had said she could not understand how people could get so excited over putting a little ball into a small cup in the ground...but Karl once you feel the whoosh of that ball finally taking off and not skimming on the ground and the sound of what I call the professional smack of the club hitting that ball - a thrill takes over and suddenly you find yourself most enamored that this might possibly be an activity worth pursueing...albeit once again the proverbial vanity that one envisions that they may be the next Tiger Woods and if not that - at least - a certain proficient at the next company outing where one wins a golf umbrella at the dinner afterwards....

Plus there is the wonderful experience of riding around the golf course in a golf cart. Hmmm - looking at the beautiful greens and viewing nature, the blue sky and fluffy white clouds - I often look up and take God along with me on my golf outings.

In reality it is the adult excuse for playing outside and being in nature as one did as a child....(especially if you are not good and find yourself in the woods a lot looking for your ball) and you can do it when you are old like Bob Hope did....

I really think you should consider it.

Hopper
Old Jun 5, '09, 5:23 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Keating View Post
catching:

Actually, I'm not a "full time lawyer"--and I haven't been one for more than twenty years. Since 1988 my full-time work has been as president of Catholic Answers.

As for "very personal" things about me, I suppose that if I filled you in on my private life, it no longer would be private, right?

But, not to leave you totally disappointed, I will reveal A Secret, just for you:

This evening I'm reading the second volume of Samuel Johnson's collected letters (particularly those recounting, to Mrs. Thrale, his journey with Boswell in Scotland), am working my way through a Croatian grammar book, and just now put back on the shelf one of Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn's earliest books, which I have decided to save for a later time.
I saw this thread yesterday, and first time see our president name of Catholic Answers,
we learned lots in Faith and become stronger through this Forum, May God bless you, and I found the video today: Karl keating Debates a Baptist preacher at a Baptist church part 2, I learned many things from it, Thank you so much, Sir ! that about communion . Jesus said this is my Body this is my blood, Protestants they all disagree with this, they say it is just a symbol. That Catholic's believe what Jesus said it is the living Christ. Before I only know the difference about Catholics and Protestants is about Holy Mother, now I know more, and Holy Spirit, Scripture and Tradition together... We believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate,was crucified, died, and was buried.He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again,He ascended into Heaven, and sits at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.We believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church,the communion of saints,the forgiveness of sins,the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. Amen.

Karl Keating, that Debates quite long, it must be very difficult to debates with so many people, may God comfort you! also you looks very gentle temper, it must be hard to debates, but May God bless you for defend for the Truth.

We love this Forum.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thy-K...68729723264050

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old Jun 6, '09, 8:51 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Time for a commercial break...

I ordered Mr. Keating's mega-tract pack and have been poring over it since it arrived. Honestly, if you want to have solid apologist materials, this could be the best collection of succinct and compact materials available.

I would also recommend "No Apology from the New Apologists." It reminds us that within our own house, there are those not quite on the same page and that it is up to us orthodox (i.e., those who earnestly practice the faith the best we can as we show loyalty to the Faith above pans of personal preference) to spread the Gospel message.

What is striking to many I am sure is the very charitable approach Mr. Keating offers in his apologies. I think he is a wonderful model for us all (and did I mention that he offers great materials?!)
Old Jun 6, '09, 11:09 am

Religion: Catholic (the original Christian Faith)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abort73catholic View Post

I would find this whole thing bizarre...having people ask about me...

Ah well..it's a sign of appreciation. We are all thankful CA was started! And we're thankful of your role in it.
Oh my...! He even has his own Wikipedia article! He's famous!
Old Jun 6, '09, 4:06 pm
President, Catholic Answers

Religion: Catholic, of course

I'm sure everything you say about golf is true, but why should I ride in a golf cart across manicured lawns--however green they may be--when I can get good exercise by hiking at 10,000 feet through the far more beautiful Sierra Nevada wilderness?

No doubt there is much satisfaction in hitting the ball and seeing it go about where you intended it to go, but I suspect I enjoy a deeper satisfaction in successfully reaching the top of a 14,000-foot peak, after an approach of several days.

If there comes a time when I no longer can hike, my body having given out, then maybe I'll turn to golf. But when the weather's fair (about three-fourths of the year in California and the Southwest), I prefer to exercise my limbs far from the nearest road.

As for centennarian Bob Hope, it's probable that when I'm his age, I'll have been dead for thirty years, and neither hiking nor golf will be on my to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
biking, hiking, backpacking....wonderful!!!....

However golf - is a wonderful activity. I know, I know, Mother Angelica had said she could not understand how people could get so excited over putting a little ball into a small cup in the ground...but Karl once you feel the whoosh of that ball finally taking off and not skimming on the ground and the sound of what I call the professional smack of the club hitting that ball - a thrill takes over and suddenly you find yourself most enamored that this might possibly be an activity worth pursueing...albeit once again the proverbial vanity that one envisions that they may be the next Tiger Woods and if not that - at least - a certain proficient at the next company outing where one wins a golf umbrella at the dinner afterwards....

Plus there is the wonderful experience of riding around the golf course in a golf cart. Hmmm - looking at the beautiful greens and viewing nature, the blue sky and fluffy white clouds - I often look up and take God along with me on my golf outings.

In reality it is the adult excuse for playing outside and being in nature as one did as a child....(especially if you are not good and find yourself in the woods a lot looking for your ball) and you can do it when you are old like Bob Hope did....

I really think you should consider it.

Hopper
Old Jun 7, '09, 7:56 pm
Book Club Member

You are cracking me up Karl. I was busy yesterday (having visited Auriesville Shrine of the North American Martyrs) so did not see this response till late tonight (Sunday)

But I'm thinking of a response - especially when we passed a nice golf course on the way and I told my sister "Karl doesn't know what he is missing." "Tiddley Winks!!!!" She laughed

Okay - I'll be back - just got to think about it after I get out of Jury duty tomorrow.

Hopper
Old Jun 7, '09, 9:11 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Methodist
Wink Re: Karl Keating who is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matariel View Post
Oh my...! He even has his own Wikipedia article! He's famous!
WOW!!!!
I don't have a Wikipedia article. Even my cat doesn't have a Wikipedia article.
I will congratulate Mr Keating......when Miss Lily Daisy stops that infernal howling!!!

And now our own dear Bro, too, has crossed over the river, where he rests under the shade of the trees...
Old Jun 8, '09, 7:52 am

Religion: RC

Okay Folks--

If you want to know who Karl Keating is, the best way to find out is to join Marcus Grodi and me as we join Karl for 10 days of cruising the Catholic Mediterranean this October:

http://www.catholicanswerscruise.com/

Then you can find out all you want to know. You will be amazed at how conversant Karl is on many topics even outside the world of Catholic Apologetics. (And here's why: he reads books instead of watching television.)

And Hopper--I think they will let you smack golf balls off the fantail!

(What is it Chesterton said about golf? I think he called it an expensive way to play marbles.)

(I have a holy envy of you for that trip to Auriesville, btw. It has been on my list for a long time.)

Pax et bonum,

Christopher Check
Exec VP
The Rockford Institute
Old Jun 8, '09, 8:35 am
Forum Master
Greeter

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C. View Post
Okay Folks--

If you want to know who Karl Keating is, the best way to find out is to join Marcus Grodi and me as we join Karl for 10 days of cruising the Catholic Mediterranean this October:
i went on their cruise 2 years ago
but i don't have enough vacation time this year.
Old Jun 8, '09, 5:45 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
But I'm thinking of a response - especially when we passed a nice golf course on the way and I told my sister "Karl doesn't know what he is missing." "Tiddley Winks!!!!" She laughed

Okay - I'll be back - just got to think about it after I get out of Jury duty tomorrow.

Hopper
I'm back. I was dismissed from being a juror. Could be that when questioned by the lawyers - I had an opinion.
I think they wanted blank slates that could easily be manipulated depending on the lawyer's ability to persuade. I say that to make you laugh.

Anyway back to the topic of Karl being dismissive of the wonderful sport of golf.

So my sister and I are driving back from Auriesville when we passed a golf course. We got thinking how you could possibly employ this activity to an advantage (fund raiser) towards your business.

"The first Catholic Answers Golf Open" My sister suggested that maybe you could call it "The first Who is Karl Keating? Catholic Answers Golf Open" but I thought that was a bit of a mouthful...besides it would be hard to get that on tee shirt.

Yeah - here's the deal - $50 - $60 bucks for each player in a foursome. Now people who love golf and are rather obsessive about it as you say - will still play golf even if the economy isn't that great.

- and you could add an additional challenge that will make people bone up on their Catholicism and how to defend it. Like before they receive their prize for best male golfer, best female golfer, longest drive, closest to the pin etc they have to answer a Catholic Apologetics question, like "Are you saved?" If they get it wrong they have to forfeit their prize to the 2nd - 3rd and so forth player.

Just thought I'd offer you a business suggestion.

Actually Karl I think it's great - your love of the outdoors - biking - hiking etc. I'm just getting a kick out of your response to golf.

and Chris
Quote:
And Hopper--I think they will let you smack golf balls off the fantail!

(What is it Chesterton said about golf? I think he called it an expensive way to play marbles.)
you're starting to sound a tad bit like Karl...

I got to tell my brother about this post. He's on this forum too. Guess what his name is? "Right Fair Way." Hi Bro Just trying to defend golf here. You might want to explain what a fair way is. Some may not be familiar with golf lingo

Hopper
Old Jun 8, '09, 5:53 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C. View Post
(I have a holy envy of you for that trip to Auriesville, btw. It has been on my list for a long time.)

Pax et bonum,

Christopher Check
Exec VP
The Rockford Institute
Hi Chris, yes Auriesville is beautiful. I only live 2 hours away from it - so it's a little easier for me to get to. I don't know why but every time I step on that holy ground of the North American Martyrs - I get weepy....

Saturday they had a very special priest there who originally came from the Phillipines. Fr. Fernando Suarez, now stationed in Canada. It was an inspiring day.

Hope some day you get there.

Hopper
Old Jun 8, '09, 7:59 pm
President, Catholic Answers

Religion: Catholic, of course

I dunno, Chris. Are people allowed to hit balls off the fantail? Wouldn't that constitute polluting the seas? What if we're followed by a Greenpeace ship? Would its crew try to board our ship, looking for the scallawag golfer? It could be an international incident, though without the danger of being in Somali waters.
Old Jun 9, '09, 4:41 am

Religion: RC

Karl,

I understood that someone had come up with biodegradable golf balls for this very purpose, but I find no evidence that our ship offers this opportunity. Alas, I was looking forward to watching Hopper give you some tips on your drive. But not to worry Hopper, bring your putter and a few balls and when no one is looking you can bat the thing around the ruins of Hurculaneum! Think of it as a giant mini putt. And, expanding on your development idea for CA: Anyone who gets a hole in one gets to be in a foursome the following year with Karl, Tim Staples, and Jimmy Akin.

Christopher Check
Exec VP
The Rockford Institute
Old Jun 9, '09, 7:14 am
Book Club Member

Hopper
Old Jun 9, '09, 12:02 pm

Tiddlywinks

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Catholic Answers Magazine (formerly This Rock)