Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 10, '09, 7:18 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist
Default Re: Confession Cheat Sheet

Why has no one addressed my question as to whether it's even permissible for a priest to leave the Confessional for ANY reason in the midst of someone's confession?

If you listen to Fr. Corapi, the conditions he describes are like a battlefield. You can NOT leave your post.
Old Jun 10, '09, 9:58 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
Why has no one addressed my question as to whether it's even permissible for a priest to leave the Confessional for ANY reason in the midst of someone's confession?

If you listen to Fr. Corapi, the conditions he describes are like a battlefield. You can NOT leave your post.
See post number 49 for my guess as too why.
Old Jun 10, '09, 10:46 am

Send a message via AIM to marleelynn Send a message via MSN to marleelynn Send a message via Yahoo to marleelynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal_Son816 View Post
I've taken a list before, but priests have told me to be sure and destroy it right after. While I've never eaten it before like Eddie Mac, but I have put it through the shredder.

Maybe I should have my shredder blessed since it helps keep the sacramental seal.

I also use a "cheat sheet" when I go to confession so I won't forget my sins or anything I need to talk to him about. Usually I rip up my sin list and throw it out after I do my penance
Old Jun 10, '09, 11:58 am

Quote:
Personal stuff is not; how priests are permitted to behave in the confessional is.
That is correct. However, I find it hard to believe that a priest would just get up and leave. We don't know the full story.
Old Jun 10, '09, 12:32 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGeek25 View Post
That is correct. However, I find it hard to believe that a priest would just get up and leave.
Me too.
Old Apr 27, '13, 12:55 pm

Do you have to confess ALL your sins or just the really bad ones (Like murder, adultery, that sort of things).. lol if I were to make a "cheat sheet" of all my sins.. I'd probably have a novel by the end of the week!
Old Apr 28, '13, 4:53 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

I have been going to anglican confession or over 25 years and have always taken in what described as a cheat sheet. Not necessarily so in case I forget but can simply read it detached of emotion etc. This last time was the very first time I gave it to the priest to read for fear of really getting lost in it. Not too sure that was a good idea in that he asked more uncomfortable questions which is his job after all so a good idea on that score as he was able to understand and remember what I said. It took me longer than I care to admitt to stop crying (once I had left church) and not feel bruised but some/well wholey of that is my own processes rather than him because he was trying to help I know that now I taken a step back...
Old Apr 28, '13, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
Not to get too off track.... But what type of phone do you have and what sort of list application do you use? I have a Sprint HTC Touch Pro. I use a program called ListPro for things like grocery lists, things to get for a trip, etc.
The app. That I use is. MEA CULPA and I recommend it highly. It has an examination of conscience in it divided into mortal and venal sins. You can set a reminder bell to remind you each evening that its time to do it. Each evening you put a check mark by the sin you recall and it keeps a tally on how many times you committed that sin and it keeps a running total. Also, it makes note of the last time that you went to confession.

Because I am a little older I have a tendency to forget and I blank out. I DO bring my phone into the confession with me and this is ok with my Priest. He drew the line when I asked if I could email the list to him (lol).- just kidding. The feature you may like is that you can set a password so that no one else can read it. 🙏
Old Apr 28, '13, 10:07 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Quote:

See the opening poster as to my answer why. May be you need to start a new thread my friend
Old Apr 28, '13, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie117 View Post
Do you have to confess ALL your sins or just the really bad ones (Like murder, adultery, that sort of things).. lol if I were to make a "cheat sheet" of all my sins.. I'd probably have a novel by the end of the week!
All mortal (grace) sins since baptism must be confessed once individually. This is called integral confession. There are some exceptions for physical or moral impossibility. (From the Catechism of the Catholic Church below.)
1497 Individual and integral confession of grave sins followed by absolution remains the only ordinary means of reconciliation with God and with the Church.
Mortal sin has these these three conditions:
1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p3s1c1a8.htm

Last edited by Vico; Apr 28, '13 at 10:52 am. Reason: add link
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments