Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Benedictine Spirituality

Benedictine Spirituality Click here to visit this social group

Old Aug 4, '09, 5:15 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default The Holy Rule of St. Benedict : Chapter 53 - Reflections for: April 4 - August 4 - December 4

+
The Holy Rule of Saint Benedict - Chapter 53
Of the Reception of Guests

April 4 - August 4 - December 4

Let all guests who arrive be received as Christ, because He will say: "I was a stranger and you took Me in" (Mt 25:35). And let due honor be shown to all, especially to those "of the household of the faith" (Gal 6:10) and to wayfarers.

When, therefore, a guest is announced, let him be met by the Superior and the brethren with every mark of charity. And let them first pray together, and then let them associate with one another in peace. This kiss of peace should not be given before a prayer hath first been said, on account of satanic deception.

In the greeting let all humility be shown to the guests, whether coming or going; with the head bowed down or the whole body prostrate on the ground, let Christ be adored in them as He is also received.

When the guests have been received, let them be accompanied to prayer , and after that let the Superior, or whom he shall bid, sit down with them. Let the divine law be read to the guest that he may be edified, after which let every kindness be shown him. Let the fast be broken by the Superior in deference to the guest, unless, perchance, it be a day of solemn fast, which cannot be broken. Let the brethren, however, keep the customary fast. Let the Abbot pour the water on the guest's hands, and let both the Abbot and the whole brotherhood wash the feet of all the guests. When they have been washed, let them say this verse: "We have received Thy mercy, O God, in the midst of Thy temple" (Ps 47[48]:10).

Let the greatest care be taken, especially in the reception of the poor and travelers, because Christ is received more specially in them; whereas regard for the wealthy itself procureth them respect.

Ora et Labora (Pray and Work)
"Glory be to the Father . . .
and to the Son . . . and to the Holy Spirit . . .
as it was in the beginning . . . it is . . . now . . .
and ever shall be . . . world without end . . . Amen . . . "

+
Old Aug 6, '09, 12:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Holy Rule of St. Benedict : Chapter 53 - Reflections for: April 4 - August 4 - December 4

The . . . World Famous . . . Renown . . . Benedictine Hospitality . . .
Quote:
+ The Holy Rule of Saint Benedict +
Chapter 53
Of the Reception of Guests

Let all guests who arrive be received as Christ, because He will say: "I was a stranger and you took Me in" (Mt 25:35). And let due honor be shown to all, especially to those "of the household of the faith" (Gal 6:10) and to wayfarers.

When, therefore, a guest is announced, let him be met by the Superior and the brethren with every mark of charity. And let them first pray together, and then let them associate with one another in peace.

Quote:
This kiss of peace should
NOT
be given before a prayer

hath first been said,
on account of satanic deception.
In the greeting let all humility be shown to the guests, whether coming or going; with the head bowed down or the whole body prostrate on the ground, let Christ be adored in them as He is also received. +
I have such a great love for this passage in the Holy Rule . . . a portion of which is recorded above . . . I would have liked for us all to just stop and embrace, meditate upon, and sit down and learn at the Holy Feet of our Wonderful Lord and His holy servant the Blessed St. Benedict re this portion of the Holy Rule . . . for at least a week . . . before going on . . . but . . . obediently . . . we have continued on in the daily readings . . .

I live in a small city . . . and as I was driving to the Church this morning for our Church Community Rosary and Daily Mass . . . I discovered . . . at a very busy intersection . . . that the stop lights were out for a fairly long section on a wide several lane through-street I came to . . . and this left . . . multitudes . . . of many lanes of cars meeting one another . . . without clear direction . . . as to who goes when and where . . . and we were all . . . carefully and watchfully . . . navigating our cars round about one another . . . to safely get out of the confusion . . . and on our ways to our destinations . . . When I got clear of the traffic jam and found my way through the neighborhoods to where the lights were working . . . I was able to proceed on to the church to meet with our Dear Lord and His people for prayer and worship . . .

I came in contact with a soul yesterday . . . whom I had responded to . . . whom . . . as I prayerfully sought God's wisdom for this soul . . . the Lord gradually revealed to all of us who were trying to help her . . . that she was . . . wandering around in the dark . . . completely blind . . . . . . as to our Wonderful God's and the Holy Roman Catholic Church's clear spiritual directions . . . and the normal stop-and-go signs a soul receives when attempting to live its life in the Holy Light of the Gospels . . . (and such as we receive in the carefully lit pathway we reflect upon and follow through in this Forum . . . The Holy Rule of St. Benedict) . . . these guides for living life as a child of God . . . simply hadn't been embraced and weren't in place for this soul . . . I did some checking re past contacts . . . and the sad and disordered reason why this soul was so confused and living apart from a close relationship with God became tragically clear . . .

The whole reason for Christ's Church's coming into being . . . is for the salvation of souls . . . and for opening up of the Holy Pathways of God for God's children to benefit from and walk within . . . but when souls . . . just will not . . . follow . . . God . . . in His Holy Ways . . . even though they know the right pathway to reach God . . . and they want to be received and visit a Christian Catholic community at length and be accepted . . . as is . . . in willful sin
. . . not wanting to embrace God and His ways for their lives . . . well . . . that is a real problem . . . we all need to pray for these souls . . . but we also need to . . . very prayerfully . . . take care that our lives aren't led astray in our contact with them . . . living life "my way" . . . rather than "God's Way" . . . is very dangerous . . . for them and everyone anywhere nearby . . .

"How precious also are
+ thy thoughts +
unto me,
O God! how great is the sum of them!"
Psalms 139:17

. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Wonderful Lord+
. . . thank you Holy Mother+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Benedictine Spirituality