Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 2, '04, 3:49 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Catholic" College Searching- Help!

Thanks everyone for your wonderful input!

For all who were wondering, I'm interested in the liberal arts... leaning towards history or political science as a major with a minor in theology. I'm not sure how I feel about the "Great Books" schools (like Thomas Aquinas). I guess I should look into them more...

As many times as I have heard before that going to a well-known school really doesn't matter in the end, it is helpful to hear it from you all. My high school really pushes all the students to apply to the "big names" so that it can say their students were accepted there... sometimes it doesn't seem as if we're as encouraged to find a school that is "right" for us as one that reflects well on the school. It's confusing and difficult to work through it all...

I have a list of several schools at the moment... anyone know anything (good or bad) about:
- Assumption College: Worcester, MA
- John Carroll University: Cleveland, OH
- Providence College: Providence, RI
- Salve Regina University: Newport, RI
- Stonehill College: Worcester, MA

Notre Dame is still on my list (partly because my dad desperately wants me to go there), but it seems that every time I read a review of it by a Catholic source, I hear that some are very unhappy that they didn't get the respectable Catholic university that they paid for. Anyone have experience with Notre Dame? Any recent grads? I plan on visiting, but does anyone know the current situation there?

Eh, this post is getting longish, but if there are any other teens in my situation, I'd love to hear from you!

God bless you all!

Old Jul 2, '04, 4:19 pm

I appreciate all of the above posts. However, I would suggest that you broaden your search. You have plenty of time. Look at universities with expertise in your areas of interest, and look at the Catholic communities on and around their campuses. I attended a large secular university in a moderately large city, and I found a large, active Catholic community on my campus and many, many Catholic communities nearby and on neighboring Campuses. Also, there were many people of other faiths there, including many Jewish people of all levels of practice, both on the faculty and in the student body. This gave me wonderful opportunities to expand my understanding and knowledge. There is something to be said for being surrounded by Catholics during your college years. However, if you are commited to your Catholic faith, you will grow by becoming part of a Catholic community and yet remaining in contact with non-Catholics.

Best wishes in your search and keep praying!

Ellen
"This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:35
Old Jul 2, '04, 6:33 pm

Smile Re: "Catholic" College Searching- Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach620
Thanks everyone for your wonderful input!

Eh, this post is getting longish, but if there are any other teens in my situation, I'd love to hear from you!

God bless you all!
Hi! I am also a "teen in your situation"! I am going to be a senoir next year and have been looking at my options. UD is looking very very good, I visited it last weekend and it is awesome! I think I am just going to apply to as many good Catholic schools as I can and then pray to see where God leads me!!
Old Mar 23, '05, 2:22 pm

Here is my two cents: I graduated from Franciscan University 4 years ago with a BS in Economics and a Masters in Finance. Now I work in the auto industry which is highly competitive but rewards me with a high salary. I actually make more then my husband who went to the University of Michigan for his Engineering BS and Masters.

You can go to a place like Franciscan and get the knowledge you need to get ahead after college. Is it harder? Certainly. I work along side graduates from Notre Dame and University of Michigan that were recruited right on their college campuses. (My company recruits most college graduates directly from the top 10 schools in the country.) Also, while I am in one special "future leaders" program with my company, I was not eligible for another similar program that only accepts Harvard graduates.

I would highly suggest you give schools like Franciscan a good look, if you are drawn to them. They can give you a solid foundation in your faith at a critical point in your life. They can also give you good friends that share your convictions who will remain in your life (but probably not your home state!) for the rest of your life. If you have the drive to gain knowledge and succeed in the secular world, you still can. You just have to fight a little bit hard for maintain your faith and your career. I, for one, thought the challenge was worth it.
Old Mar 23, '05, 4:37 pm

Religion: Catholic (UGCC)
Send a message via AIM to luvthelight

hey im in the exact same situation as well! i am trying to find a good Catholic college to attend in the fall of 06, but i never imagined it would be so hard! im trying to find one on the east coast (a little closer to home), but most of these schools have appeared to have become the more liberal 'catholic' schools, ie BC, Holy Cross, ect. my advice is - visit the school, get a feel for the spiritual life, and then if u get the impression that at least SOME of the students fully practice the faith, then at least you will have people to have that in common with, and perhaps there are good Catholic groups you can join and still have a good spiritual life, even if the college itself is not comendable.
Old Mar 24, '05, 11:54 am
Forum Elder

Mandatum Schools

This is a partial list of U.S. Catholic Universities who publicly require all Catholic theology professors to have the mandatum (their bishop's recognition of their pledge to teach in communion with the magisterium of the Church).

Canon 812 reads: "It is necessary that those who teach theological disciplines in any institute of higher studies have a mandatum from the competent ecclesiastical authority."

see the list

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Mar 24, '05, 12:45 pm

The university you pick depends heavily upon what you want to study.

If you want to be an electrical engineer, I'd recommend a medium-sized public research university rather than a liberal arts college. Sure, you could go to Christendom or Thomas Aquinas and get well-rounded, but after four years and $120,000, you would know precious little about electrical engineering. You may have been able to pick up a bit of a background in math and physics at the liberal arts school, but you would have been better off going to a cheaper public university to start with, and you could end up with a Master's degree in the same amount of time and for a very small fraction of the price.

If you're interested in becoming a teacher or studying social sciences or liberal arts, then go to one of the smaller Catholic schools. If you want to study theology, then you certainly need to go to a good Catholic college or university.
Old Mar 24, '05, 10:06 pm

Wow, I see that someone resurrected a really old post... hehe, I guess I'll reply to myself.

After many college visits and what I believe to be subtle and not-so-subtle signs from God directing me, I have settled on the University of Notre Dame! I'm so excited! The school is amazing... can't beat the academics, the school spirit is great, the campus is beautiful, everyone is friendly, and the students are really spiritually-oriented and down-to-earth. I think it's a perfect fit )

So good luck to any other teens out there still college searching. Just know that it's worth it in the end... all the work during high school, the work to find the right college, the work of applying. Don't give up. You'll end up where God wants you to be--where you're supposed to be, at the school which is right for you and will help you grow into the person God wants you to be. And it's a fantastic feeling when you find out exactly where that is... believe me!

Old Mar 28, '05, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach620
After many college visits and what I believe to be subtle and not-so-subtle signs from God directing me, I have settled on the University of Notre Dame!
I heard a great story about ND recently. When the V- Monologues came to campus, a student who was disappointed that the school would allow such a thing, sought and received permission to hold an hour of adoration at the same time, followed by a speaker on theology of the body. Rumor has it that some folks left the monologues and headed for her even instead. Her "alternative" event was very well attended. There are Catholic teens making a difference! ---KCT
Old Mar 31, '05, 12:33 am

Thumbs up Re: "Catholic" College Searching- Help!

For anyone considering a good Catholic University in the south, there is Ave Maria University in Naples, Florida.

http://www.naples.avemaria.edu/
Old Apr 4, '05, 4:31 pm

Smile Re: "Catholic" College Searching- Help!

Have you considered this?
Our daughter is graduating the end of this month from Trinity Western University/Redeemer Pacific College. This unique campus is located just outside of Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada.

Redeemer Pacific College is an associate college of Fransiscan University of Steubenville. The Archdiocese in BC, partnershipped with Trinity Western University to start a Roman Catholic teaching center on campus with TWU. It is a wonderful college and our daughter has recieved a top-notch education both spiritually and academically. Trinity Western University is considered the top christian college in Canada. School size is approx. 3,000.

An additional bonus is the fact that the price is so reasonable compared to private college tuitions in the states. And with the exchange rate between US and Canada the cost is even lower.

Our daughter will recieve her degree from TWU (a combination of RPC courses and TWU; and in addition she has earned a "Catholic Studies" cerfificate from RPC). Degrees earned from TWU are recognized and respected all over the world.

For further information and a better explanation than I gave -
Check them out at:
Redeemer Pacific College
www.rpcollege.bc.ca
Trinity Western University
www.twu.ca

Blessings!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life