Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 6, '09, 12:25 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to adstrinity Send a message via Yahoo to adstrinity
Default Priest in the Nave

Anything against this? Went to the church 5 minutes away from my house rather than 1h 45m away because of money/gas issues. I drive for the EF, but, the one nearest me (walking distance), is OF. It seems they have a new priest and he was in the Nave during his homily. ...Seemed like a fairly traditional homily, but, I was just wondering about that. It's unconventional, sure, but, anything specifically against it?
Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution of all problems. Catholicism is the truth, and everything that departs from it one iota, is disorder, deception, and error. - Juan Donoso Cortes
Old Sep 6, '09, 12:42 pm

Default Re: Priest in the Nave

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal says

136. The priest, standing at the chair or at the ambo itself or, when appropriate, in another suitable place, gives the homily. When the homily is completed, a period of silence may be observed.

I do not know what a "suitable place" is or of there is any other with more details. I remember seeing in a European cathedral that there was a tall place in the Nave from which the homily was given.

John
Old Sep 6, '09, 12:52 pm

Send a message via AIM to dixieagle

From the GIRM: http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter4.shtml

Quote:
136. The priest, standing at the chair or at the ambo itself or, when appropriate, in another suitable place, gives the homily. When the homily is completed, a period of silence may be observed.
(italics mine)

Apparently that priest finds the nave a suitable place for his homily.

My blog: http://www.chattycatholic.com
Old Sep 6, '09, 1:01 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adstrinity View Post
Anything against this? Went to the church 5 minutes away from my house rather than 1h 45m away because of money/gas issues. I drive for the EF, but, the one nearest me (walking distance), is OF. It seems they have a new priest and he was in the Nave during his homily. ...Seemed like a fairly traditional homily, but, I was just wondering about that. It's unconventional, sure, but, anything specifically against it?
Sorry but i am trying to interpret the posting before trying to answer.But what do these mean?
EF,OF?

ger
Old Sep 6, '09, 1:15 pm
Account Under Review

Send a message via MSN to thunderballs75

Quote:
Originally Posted by steboyz View Post
Sorry but i am trying to interpret the posting before trying to answer.But what do these mean?
EF,OF?

ger
EF stands for "Extraordinary Form" which means the Tridentine Mass.
OF stands for "Ordinary Form" which means the Novus Ordo Mass.

As for the original post, I think that there is nothing inherently wrong with the priest coming down into the nave. However, I am afraid that sometimes it may give the impression that the priesthood and laity are equal, when in fact as St. Thomas Aquinas tells us, they are not. The priesthood is a higher state of living than the married life/laity.
Old Sep 6, '09, 1:35 pm
Banned

Religion: Other

However, I am afraid that sometimes it may give the impression that the priesthood and laity are equal, when in fact as St. Thomas Aquinas tells us, they are not. The priesthood is a higher state of living than the married life/laity.

I don't see how where the priest stands during a sermon would give that impression.

In any case, the function of the ordained priesthood is only for this world.

And how would a married priest (of which there are quite a few; three in my city alone) fit into this dichotomy?
Old Sep 6, '09, 1:40 pm
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post
I don't see how where the priest stands during a sermon would give that impression.

In any case, the function of the ordained priesthood is only for this world.

And how would a married priest (of which there are quite a few; three in my city alone) fit into this dichotomy?
It would mean coming down to the people's level. It may promote humility, but it promotes a false sense of equality.

You make a good point. I'll reword it this way: The priesthood is a higher state of life than being part of the laity. Also, the celibate state of life is higher than the married state.
Old Sep 6, '09, 1:41 pm
Book Club Member

Well thanks Thunderballs.I thought it was some of that texting stuff.As for the question.Since we miked the priest I have seen priest speak from the back of our chuch (blessing things)and the side of the church.Recently a priest spoke in the middle aisle of the church to do his sermon.I do not like it because I feel that the pulpit the parish built is the appropriate site for the sermon.
ger[/left]
Old Sep 6, '09, 6:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderballs75 View Post
It would mean coming down to the people's level. It may promote humility, but it promotes a false sense of equality.

I don't see it as meaning anything except that particular priest's preaching style.

Think about this:

Marriage is a sacrament.

Celibacy is not.
Old Sep 6, '09, 7:15 pm
Account Under Review

Quote:
I don't see it as meaning anything except that particular priest's preaching style.

Think about this:

Marriage is a sacrament.

Celibacy is not.
Again, I'm saying that it COULD be interpreted this way.

And St.Paul tells us quite clearly that celibacy is a higher way of life.
Old Sep 7, '09, 10:13 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the GIRM
The majority of priests stay up in the sanctuary. Even with a mike, it can be hard to follow the homily when the priest is walking around in the aisles. However, it is not any kind of awful abuse for the priest to be down off the altar steps when he gives his homily.

I hope you are able to focus on the sacrifice during the Mass at this closer parish. Driving almost 2 hours to get to Mass is a hardship and I wouldn't want to to become resentful or start to skip Mass because of the time and expense.
Old Sep 8, '09, 4:46 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderballs75 View Post
Again, I'm saying that it COULD be interpreted this way.
Meaning it need not be so interpreted.
Old Sep 8, '09, 2:35 pm

Send a message via MSN to adstrinity Send a message via Yahoo to adstrinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sally View Post
The majority of priests stay up in the sanctuary. Even with a mike, it can be hard to follow the homily when the priest is walking around in the aisles. However, it is not any kind of awful abuse for the priest to be down off the altar steps when he gives his homily.

I hope you are able to focus on the sacrifice during the Mass at this closer parish. Driving almost 2 hours to get to Mass is a hardship and I wouldn't want to to become resentful or start to skip Mass because of the time and expense.
It's more of a hardship to go to the Masses where they hold hands during the Our Father, the priest faces the people, and Sister Missionary gives the homily begging for money. The Latin Mass has brought more sense to the Mass and makes me appreciate the OF more. I get it better now. If I had just a little disposible income, if I was not afraid of being in the red, I would have made that drive, I will make that drive, but, that didn't happen. Because of the Latin Mass, I am able to appreciate the sacrifice at the OF (even though Father DOES NOT keep his pointer finger and thumb together after handling the Host).

Thank you for all who answered.
Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution of all problems. Catholicism is the truth, and everything that departs from it one iota, is disorder, deception, and error. - Juan Donoso Cortes
Old Sep 9, '09, 1:15 pm

Quote:

Think about this:

Marriage is a sacrament.

Celibacy is not.
What does celibacy have to do with it.

Do you mean

Marriage is a sacrament
Orders is a sacrament
Some have received both
Some have received neither
Some who are married live a celibate life
Some who are in orders live a celibate life

But which life is holier: Marriage or Orders or neither or both?

I think it would be better to stick to "Where should the homilist stand? (or sit)"
and why.
Old Sep 9, '09, 2:25 pm

Religion: a disciple of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I think it would be better to stick to "Where should the homilist stand? (or sit)"
and why.
Wherever the homilist wants.

Seriously, I have seen homilists who stood in one place, right behind the Ambo. I have seen some who stepped down to immediately in front of the congregation. I have seen the same homilist do both, at different times.

Other posts have shown that there is some "room" in the rules for the homilist to speak from wherever they choose, within reason.

I think it has to do with the style of the homilist, the topic, the surroundings and the occasion for the liturgy. Being closer to the people makes the homily somewhat more intimate and personal, and reminds me of Jesus preaching in the middle of a crowd rather than of God speaking from high on a mountain or from somewhere in the clouds.

I think if it is done in a natural way, so that it isn't contrived or out of place, preaching the homily from places other than at the Ambo should not be a problem.

Behold, the Kingdom of God is within you. Luke 17

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism