Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 23, '08, 3:57 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Empathy

Well this may seem not very important, but... I have been aware of this characteristic in myself since I was a child. It did not have a name then, but apparently it has one know.

I don't know if others here know much about it but basically it is feeling what others feel.

It is not magic, not supernatural, but it is something that is at times hard to live with.

Why am I here?

I'm here because I am a Catholic above and beyond anything and all the self help groups in the net take this natural characteristic as a Paranormal thing. To the point where I find other Catholics sort of buying into it

Well I don't but I do need to talk about it sometimes. I don't believe Jesus would saddle me with something that is not Natural, but it is something that makes life a little harder sometimes, like everything else it has an upside and a downside.

The upside is that by being more aware of other people's feeling I can often help out, support etc.. the down side is that you sometimes become a bit too aware of other people's problems and anxieties...

I hope I've put this intelligibly enough

I'd really like to know how other Catholics or even the Church view this question.

Again I repeat I do not see, feel or think this is paranormal.. It is natural we all have some amount empathy, but some of us have more...
Old Dec 23, '08, 4:05 pm
Banned

Religion: roman catholic
Default Re: Empathy

Ability to allow good(empathy in this case) to enter the world from God in accordance with His Will starts with an openess or actual desire to cooperate with good. Through grace good comes from God and manifests itself through your actions in the world.

So to keep you humble, empathy is not your good characteristic. It belongs to God and you cooperate with its application. On the other hand, don't worry that God's good will overload you.

He never gives us more than we can handle.

God is not a drama queen. The devil is.
Old Dec 23, '08, 4:46 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

The above poster said it! Any good thing we think, do, feel, is from God. Having empathy for another is not an unusual feeling at all (think of all those in caring professions, nursing for example, and the large amount of burn-out there - due, IMHO, to not praying to Him to help with this "load"). Little children feel it constantly, some adults (unfortunately) feel it's childish or unsophisticated so ignore those feelings until they quit noticing them (or one way of "hardening their hearts".

"...and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8
Old Dec 24, '08, 12:26 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoindealbhan View Post
Ability to allow good(empathy in this case) to enter the world from God in accordance with His Will starts with an openess or actual desire to cooperate with good. Through grace good comes from God and manifests itself through your actions in the world.

So to keep you humble, empathy is not your good characteristic. It belongs to God and you cooperate with its application. On the other hand, don't worry that God's good will overload you.

He never gives us more than we can handle.

God is not a drama queen. The devil is.
Agree! Very well said. And to the last part.. which is so true!
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org

Old Dec 24, '08, 5:41 pm
Forum Elder

I think that if one can feel/share the pain of others one prays more effectively for them.
Old Dec 26, '08, 6:35 am

Very strange.. I reread my post and nowhere did I use the word MINE...

Well never mind...
Old Dec 26, '08, 10:16 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvalves View Post

Well this may seem not very important, but... I have been aware of this characteristic in myself since I was a child. It did not have a name then, but apparently it has one know.

I don't know if others here know much about it but basically it is feeling what others feel.

It is not magic, not supernatural, but it is something that is at times hard to live with.

Why am I here?

I'm here because I am a Catholic above and beyond anything and all the self help groups in the net take this natural characteristic as a Paranormal thing. To the point where I find other Catholics sort of buying into it

Well I don't but I do need to talk about it sometimes. I don't believe Jesus would saddle me with something that is not Natural, but it is something that makes life a little harder sometimes, like everything else it has an upside and a downside.

The upside is that by being more aware of other people's feeling I can often help out, support etc.. the down side is that you sometimes become a bit too aware of other people's problems and anxieties...

I hope I've put this intelligibly enough

I'd really like to know how other Catholics or even the Church view this question.

Again I repeat I do not see, feel or think this is paranormal.. It is natural we all have some amount empathy, but some of us have more...
There is nothing unnatural or paranormal about that. Its quite normal and common.
Old Dec 26, '08, 10:23 pm

You mean you are an Empath? That's what you're getting at, right?

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
Old Sep 23, '09, 7:02 pm
Observing Member

Wink Re: Empathy

I do belive that you are hinting at being empath. this is basically the difference between empath and empathy. Empathy is an emotion that any one can share. like if some one came up to you and said that they lost their parent, if you to were in that situation or similar you share empathy on that subject. but for us empaths we have the abillity to sense "deep"emotions, especially when people wear masks, to hide what they are truley feeling. like when people feel sad, upset, or bitter towards God, but always come to church and have a smile on thier face. we can feel that there is more there and even have a natural ability to have people just pour out thier souls to us. we don't even have to let distance be an issue we can sense people across town and just need to pray for them what ever they need. there is on case of an empath down in mexico he was a priest and he could list all your sins when you walk into the confessional.

Yes i understan that his can be a burden especially when you are faced with people that you can't even imagine thier situations. all we can do is teach they way Jesus taught us. and some times this is the most difficult part is to leave our burdens at the foot of his cross. whether these burdens are of our own or if we carry the burdens of others because of who we are. in time God will reveal all to us some times he will reveal within the hour or with in our departure of this earth. we simply don't know. i wish you the best of luck on your faith journey and know that i will be praying for you.

sincerly your brother in Christ
Jeremiah Acosta.

P.S. REMEBER.... some of the most broken people you can meet are sitting on the pew next to you. and you have the gift to heal them.
Old Sep 21, '12, 6:02 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic and loving it
Send a message via MSN to DevotedChild

The above poster is correct. .... I have the same ability. We are empaths, like the above poster said. What we have is a Spiritual Gift from God. A paranormal gift that is a much stronger than what other humans tend to feel naturally. I have it and even the priest who is my spiritual director has it too. We feel other people's emotions, pains, and thoughts as our own, on top of our own and I find that the first encounters with people are the strongest episodes you will have.

I recently almost got into huge trouble because of this gift, but the Lord has granted me guidance (through my spiritual direction, others and life itself) to train myself in using my gift. Learning when to give out your heart and when to keep it at bay. When to be so close and when to watch from afar. It is not easy and its not going to get easier to deal with, as my spiritual director said. But it is okay. Life is never without its challenges and its a gift from God to use in His service.

My spiritual director told me that those that God give this gift to are people He usually uses as interessors, working and helping with people.

You are not alone. Do not be afraid. Just pray for guidance and see if you can find a spiritual director to help.

God Bless
Patronness Saint Agnes! and Saint Therese of the Little Flower pray for us. Holy Mother Mary, pray for us sinners and bring us all to Jesus, your son. Sweet, Beloved Jesus, embrace us and never let go.
Old Sep 21, '12, 7:32 pm

Great post! I believe I am what you call an "empath." I believe it is a gift from God and a sign of real union with the mystical body of Christ. I believe it is one form of "bearing one another's burdens."

I know how you feel about it being challenging. It can be hard sometimes to know what is yours and what is theirs. It can be hard to continue with your responsibilities when you are burdened with someone else's agony. I am starting to look at the times as a "kiss from Jesus." I find it an honor that He trusts me with His beloved one's hearts. In reality though, it is Jesus Himself who's burden I am carrying. It's a labor of love and a by product of deep intimacy.

The only thing I wish is that I wasn't so resistant to it. I wish I didn't find it often annoying and a nuisance. It is a special way of loving Jesus.
Old Sep 21, '12, 7:38 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic and loving it
Send a message via MSN to DevotedChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Love View Post
Great post! I believe I am what you call an "empath." I believe it is a gift from God and a sign of real union with the mystical body of Christ. I believe it is one form of "bearing one another's burdens."

I know how you feel about it being challenging. It can be hard sometimes to know what is yours and what is theirs. It can be hard to continue with your responsibilities when you are burdened with someone else's agony. I am starting to look at the times as a "kiss from Jesus." I find it an honor that He trusts me with His beloved one's hearts. In reality though, it is Jesus Himself who's burden I am carrying. It's a labor of love and a by product of deep intimacy.

The only thing I wish is that I wasn't so resistant to it. I wish I didn't find it often annoying and a nuisance. It is a special way of loving Jesus.
I have not thought of that way. Its a nice way of thinking about it. My problem is that I am so open to it I have almost no control over it. Once I sense a burdened heart my heart immediately leaves me and goes to them and its hard to get it back once it's given. That is what I recently learned and luckily my spiritual director is there to help me.

God Bless
Patronness Saint Agnes! and Saint Therese of the Little Flower pray for us. Holy Mother Mary, pray for us sinners and bring us all to Jesus, your son. Sweet, Beloved Jesus, embrace us and never let go.
Old Jul 19, '13, 12:25 pm

Smile Re: Empathy

I stumbled across the empathy post and just joined this group because of it. I am so glad there are others like me on this site. I have only met one priest who was like me and unfortunately he is gone. I am 61 years old and have been aware of being "different" since I was five. I did not know the term for it until a few years ago. At times, this has been a beautiful gift but mostly it has been a lifelong struggle and I saw it as a curse instead of a gift. My husband is like me as well. We now know this is indeed a gift but for me it is still a challenge i.e. being overwhelmed by a loved ones experiencing a panic attack (I get the same symptoms at the same time) even though I live far away. Or when my son's fiancées mother died I starting sobbing in grief with out knowing why until I found out about her passing. I hope to find out how to learn how to not be so completely pulled into this so I may use this for God's purpose. It's ben difficult to find any books or internet sites that deal with the subject from a Catholic perspective. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, '13, 8:08 pm

Religion: catholic

When I've been in movie theatres and there is a sad scene, the women just bawl. I guess that must be a part of this.
Old Jul 20, '13, 8:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretMae View Post
I stumbled across the empathy post and just joined this group because of it. I am so glad there are others like me on this site. I have only met one priest who was like me and unfortunately he is gone. I am 61 years old and have been aware of being "different" since I was five. I did not know the term for it until a few years ago. At times, this has been a beautiful gift but mostly it has been a lifelong struggle and I saw it as a curse instead of a gift. My husband is like me as well. We now know this is indeed a gift but for me it is still a challenge i.e. being overwhelmed by a loved ones experiencing a panic attack (I get the same symptoms at the same time) even though I live far away. Or when my son's fiancées mother died I starting sobbing in grief with out knowing why until I found out about her passing. I hope to find out how to learn how to not be so completely pulled into this so I may use this for God's purpose. It's ben difficult to find any books or internet sites that deal with the subject from a Catholic perspective. Thanks!
Hi MargaretMae! Your gift is somewhat different from mine - I don't know things before I actually hear about them as you seem to do. But maybe a few tools I have learned, will help you.

One is to visualize. Close your eyes, steady your breathing, and imagine yourself embracing the other person, loving the other person, then gently lifting their burden of pain from their shoulders, and carrying it to Jesus. Leave it with Jesus. Embrace Him. Return to the other person as often as you need to, to help carry their burden and take it to Jesus. But be deliberate about leaving it with Jesus - that is very important!

Another thing I do, is to pray the chaplet of divine mercy. (The rosary would work well, too.) Sitting down with Jesus and praying like that calms me; the repetition settles me down and helps me to focus on the other person, their pain, their needs, and helps me to pray for them. If you use the Divine Mercy prayers, I will often insert an individual's name ... "For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on Mike and on all of the word ... For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on Nancy and on all of the world .. " You can do the same thing at the end of the Hail Mary prayer ... "Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for Margaret, now and at the hour of her death ... "

I hope those help! You might enjoy this article. It isn't about this gift specifically, but I think the way that she prayed for others is a lesson for us. They can be far away, they can be people we don't know - but when we purposefully pray for others we can help them in a very real way. I think our gift just makes us easier for us to know "who" needs our focus and our prayers!

Read the Catholic Bible in a Year ... a clickable reading plan that you can start any time!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality