Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 5, '05, 11:14 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Pope and the Beggar...a must read...bring some kleenex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana
Here is a story I found and I thought I would share will all of you!

Dr Scott Hahn shared the following true story on April 25, 2001, on 'Mother Angelica live.' This story was related to Dr Hahn by his spiritual director. He said that all hte stories he has heard about the Pope, this is his favorite. He heard the story while in New York City visiting a priest who is in the Archdiocese of NY. This priest related the story of what happened on his last trip to Rome.

While he was walking the streets of Rome, it came time for the priest to say his prayers so he began looking for a church where he could go and pray. He spotted a church as he got closer to the door of the church he saw a beggar, which is not unusual to see in the streets of Rome. Something, however, troubled him about this particular beggar, but he wasn't sure what it was. The priest went into the church to say his prayers, and then suddenly it dawned on him that he recognized the beggar. So as he left chiurch, he said to the beggar, 'Excuse me, do I know you?' After they realized that they were in the seminary together! The priest had been ordained a priest and he told the NY priest that he had 'crashed and burned' in his vocation. The priest left the beggar really shaken up.

The priest's next destination was a meeting at the Vatican. At the end of the meeting there was a formal get-together with the Pope, where there was a receiving line. When it was his turn to meet the Pope, the priest gave in to a holy impulse and got down on his knnes and implored the Pope,' Pray, Holy Father, for this particular man. I went to the seminary with this man and now he is a beggar. He's lost. Pray for him.' After that impulse the priest left St Peter's and went back to the church and ,sure enough, the beggar was still there by the doorstep. The priest said to the beggar, 'Excuse me, I have an official invitation for both of us to have dinner with the Holy Father tonight.' The beggar said, 'No I can't.' But the priest said. 'You better, because i'm not going to have dinner with the Pope any other way!' He told the beggar to accompany him to his room where he would provide him with a razor and clothes. About an hour later these two were making their way to the pope's residence. They got to the papl apartment and sat down to dinner with the Pope. About an hour later the pope motioned for the priest to go out into the hallway. The Pope turned to the beggar and said, 'Would you hear my Confession?' The beggar said,
I'm not a priest any more.' But the Pope replied, 'Once a priest, always a priest.' The beggar said, 'I'm not in good standing with the Church.' The Pope shot back, 'I'm the Pope. I'm the bishop of Rome. I can re-intate you right now.' The beggar agreed, and so Pope John Paul 2 proceeded to confess his sins. The beggar priest barely got the words of absolution out before he dropped on his knees and tearfully asked, 'Holy Father, will you hear my Confession?' He confessed and was restored to good graces with Our lord.

Soon the NY priest was invited back in from the hallway and the Pope asked him about the beggar, 'What was the parish you found him?' The priest told him the name of the church, and then the Pope said to the beggar priest. 'For your first pastoral assignment, I want you to go to the pastor there and report for duty because you'll be an associate there with a special outreach for your fellow beggars.'

And that is where the beggar is today, fulfilling his new priestly role.

Christ is risen...truly He is risen!
Shoshana

Again, the words of our Savior lived out through his humble servant, JPII. Rev.21:5 "The one who sat on the throne said, 'Behold, I make all things new.' "

Yet another beautiful story of hope and renewal. I so will miss this pope. But he is still evangelizing the world in these 9 days of mourning. And, I imagine he will continue to evangelize the world through his powerful intercession.

On this earth, he only prayed for 7 hours a day. Now, he intercedes with our Blessed Mother for all eternity.

THAT cannot be anything but good for us and the whole world.

When they got out on land, they saw a charcoal fire there ...
Old Apr 5, '05, 11:21 am
Banned

Awesome. The Pope was a master at realizing that the best thing you can give someone is an opportunity for them to give to you.
Old Apr 5, '05, 1:49 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiaphrodite
a new addition to my compilation...i hope it's alright...?
[PHP][/PHP]

I picked up this newsletter in Buffalo when I went to St Luke's for Divine Mercy Sunday. It does not say anything about copyrights....

We love you John Paul !!!

Shoshana
Old Apr 5, '05, 9:16 pm
Book Club Member

What a beautiful story. I want to be like the Pope! And Mother Theresa! No, I don't want to be a priest(or a nun, for that matter). I want to have a heart for God. I want to have a heart that loves Jesus so much that it spills over on to everyone; a heart that sees Jesus in everyone! Wow.
Rescue those unjustly sentenced to death; do not sit back and let them die! Proverbs 24:11

"Abortion is the ultimate exploitation of women." ---Alice Paul
Old Apr 5, '05, 9:38 pm

It is a beautiful story. Like something one would read in the lives of the saints. Almost unbelieveable, but since we have experienced the love His Holiness had for everyone we know its true. He truly brought Christ to everyone he met. John Paul II, we love you.
Old Apr 5, '05, 10:13 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana
[PHP][/PHP]

I picked up this newsletter in Buffalo when I went to St Luke's for Divine Mercy Sunday. It does not say anything about copyrights....

We love you John Paul !!!

Shoshana

oh okay...thanks!
Old Apr 6, '05, 12:06 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

bump
Old Apr 6, '05, 7:52 pm

Well, I'm not willing to bash and crush your holy meditations, but... is this story actually true?
I mean it should deserve a lot of coverage, if true. But I had never heard of it, even if we'd be supposed to have an active Rome priest telling us about his touching conversion.
Thre only reference I found is http://www.detnews.com/2005/editoria...A08-138081.htm
where the story is less elaborated and slightly different. Sounds like a nice edificating story.

Does someone know better?
Old Apr 7, '05, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleGenoa
Well, I'm not willing to bash and crush your holy meditations, but... is this story actually true?
I mean it should deserve a lot of coverage, if true. But I had never heard of it, even if we'd be supposed to have an active Rome priest telling us about his touching conversion.
Thre only reference I found is http://www.detnews.com/2005/editoria...A08-138081.htm
where the story is less elaborated and slightly different. Sounds like a nice edificating story.

Does someone know better?
I think it is probably true, but people should dig for the facts of these stories. They will need all the particulars when they gather information for his canonization. Knowing people's devotion to him, the committee is probably already forming.
Old Apr 7, '05, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleGenoa
I tend to agree... perhaps I've been reading http://www.snopes.com too much, but this strikes me as "glurge". It would be nice of Dr. Hahn to give up a few names here. Especially suspicious is the complete lack of names, time frame, or any other way to track down the truth of the story.

Also, Jason Evert tells a similar but far simpler version of the story (of which he has many... stories about JPII, not versions). In it, the priest is not a beggar, just lost his way. It occurs in America on one of JPII's trips. A friend, not a fellow priest obtains the audience. The audience occurs quickly, with the "ex-"priest going in and exiting privately in just a few minutes. Also, he enters expecting all sorts of persuasion from the pope, but JPII simply goes to his knees, saying "Father, forgive me for I have sinned..." No request.

This version seems more likely, given JPII's very busy schedule. I also like the dramatic touch that he doesn't even ask for confession, knowing that he might be refused, but just jumps in, allowing the act to speak for itself.

Nonetheless, versions of a story only differing in detail lend to the appearance of this as urban legend.

Not to pop your bubble.
Old Apr 11, '05, 12:19 am

I think this story is too important to accept without verfification or to dismiss as a myth. Can someone possibly find out for certain whether it happened and exactly what the details are? If it is true then I believe that it should be widely told.
Old Apr 11, '05, 4:50 am

If this is true, we should use the words Dr. Hahn uses when he tells it, becuase he tells it in such a beautiful way. When I heard the story from him at a conference, when the man told the Pope he was just a beggar, the Pope replied something to the effect of 'I am just a beggar too' before he told him he could re-instate him. It was very moving.

I would think it would be fairly easy to confirm with Dr. Hahn if someone could talk to him.....maybe one of the 'big guys' at CA??? I could be wrong, but I think Dr. Hahn said he knew the man who initially asked the Pope to pray for his friend. But, that's going of off memory and not notes, so I could be mistaken about any relationship there.
Old Apr 11, '05, 1:20 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic

Good thing I have a Kleenex.

Pio

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005