Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 12, '09, 6:50 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, "and loving it."
Question Has there ever been a real female Priest?

I was just reading a column in the secular press by a self-confessed liberal Catholic. The topic was sexual abuse by Catholic priests. Part way through the piece came this line:
"And yet there were married priests -- not to mention some women priests......"

I have heard there may have been some women priests before but I've always doubted the authenticy of this idea.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

“Experience teaches that the man who exercises a frequent and rigid censorship over his thoughts, words and actions, is better capable of hating and avoiding evil and of cultivating earnestly what is good”
- St Pius X
Old Oct 12, '09, 6:53 pm
Banned

Religion: Hard Core Catholic
Default Re: Has there ever been a real female Priest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reginator View Post
I was just reading a column in the secular press by a self-confessed liberal Catholic. The topic was sexual abuse by Catholic priests. Part way through the piece came this line:

I have heard there may have been some women priests before but I've always doubted the authenticy of this idea.

NOPE - that's a fabrication.
Tell the person to provide some proof.
They never can.
Old Oct 12, '09, 7:15 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

Of course there are women priests in other religions, like Wica, and other pagan religions.

But never in the Catholic Church.
Old Oct 12, '09, 7:22 pm

Send a message via ICQ to Ignatius

Quote:
All pagan religions had priestesses. The Hebrew, Orthodox and Catholic Faiths have never had priestesses.
http://catholictruth.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jBa...layer_embedded
Old Oct 12, '09, 7:23 pm
Suspended
Prayer Warrior

You'll hear the occasional 'scholar' talk about women priests in the Celtic (read: Ireland) tradition. Supposedly (before <Rome> champed down on them) Ireland was a contemporary woman's dream with women--at least, 'noble' women--able to hold secular and clerical offices, divorce, etc. However, I have never yet come across any 'source' for these claims that holds up. All I have found (so far, I don't claim to have examined every source that exists) seems to be based on the way the translator/scholar 'interprets' a text or reference. Too reminiscent of the 'blessings on homosexual unions' claptrap along with the requisite 'noble' pagans and venal, grasping Christian, lay or cleric. Faugh.
Old Oct 12, '09, 7:26 pm

Religion: Catholic (revert)

To clarify a bit, there may have been women (I'm not saying there were) upon whom some bishop performed the rite of ordination, but that didn't make the women priests, any more than performing the rite of baptism on a cat make the cat a Christian. In both cases, the sacrament only "works" with a valid subject, and for ordination the valid subject is a baptized male (there may be other requirements as well, I don't know).

G.K. Chesterton
Old Oct 12, '09, 8:30 pm

Religion: Closet Catholic :/

There has never been, nor will there ever be, a female priest within the Church.

Catholic Apologetics on Youtube
Teen Catholic Converts Colony
Old Oct 13, '09, 10:12 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

I believe that the person who wrote the article misunderstood and thought that the Roman Catholic Women Priests are still in communion with Rome. The Roman Catholic priests who ordained the women, and the women who were ordained as priests, were excommuniated. They have their own church now. They have schismed.

Old Oct 13, '09, 10:14 am
Forum Master
Radio Club Member

Dovetailing on what VociMike said, there has never been a female priest because it is an ontological impossibility for a woman to be a priest. It's like saying "Has there ever been a female Jesus Christ?" Jesus was male. The question does not make sense at the ontological level.
Old Oct 13, '09, 9:49 pm
Trial Membership

Greetings!

My name is Luis Teodoro Gutierrez, 66, Cuban-American, retired after 34 years in industrial R&D jobs, active in sustainability research since the 1970s (PhD thesis on ecosystem secondary succession in response to commercial use, Georgia Tech, 1974).

Now I publish an e-journal of sustainable development:

Home page -- http://www.pelicanweb.org/
Current issue -- http://www.pelicanweb.org/solisustv05n10page1.html

The current issue is Part 7 of a series on education for sustainable development, and includes four excellent invited papers.

BTW, If anyone is interested in the "Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy & Economic Performance" exec order by US President Barack Obama, dated 5 October 2009, this is the link:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/doc...der_eo_rel.pdf

Re: Has there ever been a real female Priest?

I have another question:

What is an "ontological impossibility"? Nothing is impossible to God ....

Personally, I am in favor of the ordination of women. Why? Because both men and women fully share human nature, the same human nature that Christ shared in everything except sin. Both men and women have been redeemed, so both men and women can be baptized, and both men and women can be ordained. This is my honest opinion, I hope it is not offensive to anyone here.

In Christ,
Luis
Old Oct 13, '09, 9:56 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgutierrez View Post
Greetings!

My name is Luis Teodoro Gutierrez, 66, Cuban-American, retired after 34 years in industrial R&D jobs, active in sustainability research since the 1970s (PhD thesis on ecosystem secondary succession in response to commercial use, Georgia Tech, 1974).

Now I publish an e-journal of sustainable development:

Home page -- http://www.pelicanweb.org/
Current issue -- http://www.pelicanweb.org/solisustv05n10page1.html

The current issue is Part 7 of a series on education for sustainable development, and includes four excellent invited papers.

BTW, If anyone is interested in the "Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy & Economic Performance" exec order by US President Barack Obama, dated 5 October 2009, this is the link:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/doc...der_eo_rel.pdf

Re: Has there ever been a real female Priest?

I have another question:

What is an "ontological impossibility"? Nothing is impossible to God ....

Personally, I am in favor of the ordination of women. Why? Because both men and women fully share human nature, the same human nature that Christ shared in everything except sin. Both men and women have been redeemed, so both men and women can be baptized, and both men and women can be ordained. This is my honest opinion, I hope it is not offensive to anyone here.

In Christ,
Luis
I don't think your honest opinion is offensive. I think you might read up on Church teaching of this issue though.
Old Oct 13, '09, 10:12 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
Dovetailing on what VociMike said, there has never been a female priest because it is an ontological impossibility for a woman to be a priest.
That's not true. There is no ontological impediment to women priests. The Church has never said that women, by their nature, lack Sacramental capacity for Holy Orders. Women share the same nature as men (ie, "human" nature). There is no ontological difference between women and men - we both share a common human nature.

The Church has defined that She does not have authority to ordain women. This is not an ontological limitation of women, but an authoratative limitation of the Church. Jesus granted the Church authority to ordain men, but not women. It is a disparity of authority, not nature.

Hooray!
Old Oct 13, '09, 10:26 pm
Banned

The Catholic Church has never had female priests, and never will.

Married priests is another issue. The Church teaches that clerical celibacy is not a doctrine, therefore in theory, Roman Catholic married men could be ordained to the priesthood. Married men are ordained to the priesthood in the Eastern Catholic churches. And of course married men in all churches of the Catholic Church are ordained to the diaconate as well.
Old Oct 14, '09, 10:29 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

There is a "Catholic" Church in Niagara Falls,Ont.that advertises itself as a Catholic Church with a DIFFERENCE,strangely enough the "masses" are said in the Lutheran Church.Any bets that the "priest" is a "priestess"albeit ersatz?

Any female who has been mock "ordained" is automatically excommunicated.The Ordinator is also automatically excommunicated.These people are not in "schism";the Orthodox,are in schism.These people are heretics and now are PROTESTANTS.
Old Oct 14, '09, 11:35 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutane View Post
There is a "Catholic" Church in Niagara Falls,Ont.that advertises itself as a Catholic Church with a DIFFERENCE,strangely enough the "masses" are said in the Lutheran Church.Any bets that the "priest" is a "priestess"albeit ersatz?
That seems like an extreme position. A Catholic mission parish may rent space - even in a protestant building (or a shopping center, or whatever).

Do you have any evidence (apart from their choice of meeting space) that the pastor is actually a woman?

Hooray!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics