Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Oct 26, '09, 9:34 pm
Crumpy Crumpy is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 29, 2006
Posts: 2,970
Religion: Catholic
Default Beards?

I wonder why monks have beards? Now that I think about it, not all the friars on EWTN have beards (or am I wrong on that?). It must be a personal preference, to some extent.

Is the beard supposed to remind us of the Biblical Nazirite vow, perhaps?

I can't stand going more than five days without shaving.
__________________
I rejoiced when they said to me, let us go up to the house of the Lord.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Oct 26, '09, 9:57 pm
JReducation's Avatar
JReducation JReducation is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 29, 2007
Posts: 20,183
Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Beards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy View Post
I wonder why monks have beards? Now that I think about it, not all the friars on EWTN have beards (or am I wrong on that?). It must be a personal preference, to some extent.

Is the beard supposed to remind us of the Biblical Nazirite vow, perhaps?

I can't stand going more than five days without shaving.
The beard is part of the ascetical tradition that was brought into the early Church by the Jewish converts to Christianity.. It has been maintained by many of the ancient religious orders. The friars on EWTN are not an ancient religious order. In fact, they are not a religious order. They are a diocesan congregation, not juridically part of the Franciscan Order. They are an independent community.

Within the Franciscan Order the beard is still observed by the Capuchins of certain provinces. It is not a matter of preference. It is in the constitutions of the order. Each province must request permission of the Superior General to dispense with it. In the USA it was dispensed with because it was associated with the flamboyant movements of the 1950s and 60s. But it was maintained in the other provinces around the world as mandatory.

I hope this helps.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF
__________________
Fraternally,

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."


A Deacon's Deacon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Oct 27, '09, 2:48 am
Joannm Joannm is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 3, 2007
Posts: 4,249
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Beards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReducation View Post
The beard is part of the ascetical tradition that was brought into the early Church by the Jewish converts to Christianity.. It has been maintained by many of the ancient religious orders. The friars on EWTN are not an ancient religious order. In fact, they are not a religious order. They are a diocesan congregation, not juridically part of the Franciscan Order. They are an independent community.

Within the Franciscan Order the beard is still observed by the Capuchins of certain provinces. It is not a matter of preference. It is in the constitutions of the order. Each province must request permission of the Superior General to dispense with it. In the USA it was dispensed with because it was associated with the flamboyant movements of the 1950s and 60s. But it was maintained in the other provinces around the world as mandatory.

I hope this helps.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF
When the Fransican Friars of the Renewal came to give a mission at our parish one of the friars joked that when walking around NYC he gets all kinds of comments. Some think he is a Hasidic Jew, others think he is a hippie or Amish or a hillbilly, and some others ask for his autograph thinking he is in the band ZZTop. He did play the guitar though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Oct 27, '09, 5:35 am
EphelDuath EphelDuath is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 27, 2006
Posts: 2,650
Religion: Roman-rite Catholic
Default Re: Beards?

I personally think the fact that monks/friars sometimes don't shave whereas priests almost always do is exactly backwards. Monks and friars should shave as a method of disciplining themselves, whereas the priesthood -- which is passed down from the Mosaic high priests -- should not shave, as a symbol of the fact that the sacrament of Holy Orders was instituted by Christ, who was bearded himself.

But that's just my personal opinion, and I don't think it's a big deal.
__________________
" ... the systematic exclusion of Latin is an abuse no less to be condemned than the systematic desire of some people to use it exclusively. Its sudden and total disappearance will not be without serious pastoral consequences..." Ratio fundamentatlis, 1980
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 30, '11, 8:42 am
Dave in Dallas Dave in Dallas is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 8, 2010
Posts: 269
Default Re: Beards?

Beards just rock!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 30, '11, 8:55 am
valentino valentino is offline
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: January 31, 2011
Posts: 2,276
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Beards?

whats the point in shaving?You get used to the feel of a beard after a while.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 30, '11, 1:25 pm
thirddec thirddec is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 28, 2011
Posts: 604
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Beards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Dallas View Post
Beards just rock!
mine wouldnt ; it would look like a lawn that the grass seed didnt tale properly all over
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 30, '11, 8:36 pm
Link0126 Link0126 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: January 10, 2011
Posts: 737
Religion: Catholic - revert
Default Re: Beards?

To differentiate themselves from nuns? I Love my beard. Feel weird without it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 30, '11, 9:41 pm
JReducation's Avatar
JReducation JReducation is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 29, 2007
Posts: 20,183
Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Beards?

It's funny, because someone had posted that priests should wear beards because Christ wore a beard and friars should shave. It goes to show how little Catholics know about Catholic tradition.

The only religious family that had to wear a beard was the Franciscan family and it had nothing to do with Jesus. We wear beards because our Holy Father Francis had a beard. We wear it in his honor.

During the 1940s permission was granted to shave the beards, because the Socialist movement began to wear beards. At that time the friars were being confused with this movement. Shaving is an indult granted to Franciscans in certain places where wearing a beard is a cultural or health problem. The indult remains in place for the USA, Germany and a few other countries. But the beard is worn in honor of Francis not Jesus.

Francis wore it, because ascetics of his time wore it.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF
__________________
Fraternally,

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."


A Deacon's Deacon
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 30, '11, 10:35 pm
ConstantineTG ConstantineTG is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 5, 2010
Posts: 17,409
Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Beards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReducation View Post
It's funny, because someone had posted that priests should wear beards because Christ wore a beard and friars should shave. It goes to show how little Catholics know about Catholic tradition.

The only religious family that had to wear a beard was the Franciscan family and it had nothing to do with Jesus. We wear beards because our Holy Father Francis had a beard. We wear it in his honor.

During the 1940s permission was granted to shave the beards, because the Socialist movement began to wear beards. At that time the friars were being confused with this movement. Shaving is an indult granted to Franciscans in certain places where wearing a beard is a cultural or health problem. The indult remains in place for the USA, Germany and a few other countries. But the beard is worn in honor of Francis not Jesus.

Francis wore it, because ascetics of his time wore it.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF
I heard part of the reason priests wear beards to ensure those receiving Orders were men. Also those with unkempt beards seek to make themselves less physically attractive so that the focus is not on them, but on the Liturgy and the Eucharist. The East of course kept this tradition. The Western priests decided to share because they fear having leftover droplets of the Precious Blood on their facial hair.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 30, '11, 10:40 pm
JReducation's Avatar
JReducation JReducation is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 29, 2007
Posts: 20,183
Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Beards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
I heard part of the reason priests wear beards to ensure those receiving Orders were men. Also those with unkempt beards seek to make themselves less physically attractive so that the focus is not on them, but on the Liturgy and the Eucharist. The East of course kept this tradition. The Western priests decided to share because they fear having leftover droplets of the Precious Blood on their facial hair.
Actually, by the end of the 19the century, the Latin Church banned beards on secular priests. They couldn't touch religious, because the canons don't apply to religious orders. But almost every episcopal conference in the Latin Church banned them.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF
__________________
Fraternally,

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."


A Deacon's Deacon
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 30, '11, 10:51 pm
ConstantineTG ConstantineTG is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 5, 2010
Posts: 17,409
Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Beards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReducation View Post
Actually, by the end of the 19the century, the Latin Church banned beards on secular priests. They couldn't touch religious, because the canons don't apply to religious orders. But almost every episcopal conference in the Latin Church banned them.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF
I mistyped, I mean the Western priests decided to shave.

Why did they ban it? For the reason I stated?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 30, '11, 11:11 pm
JReducation's Avatar
JReducation JReducation is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 29, 2007
Posts: 20,183
Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Beards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
I mistyped, I mean the Western priests decided to shave.

Why did they ban it? For the reason I stated?
The Latin Church banned the beard on secular priests when it adopted military dress for the secular clergy.

Fraternally,

Br.JR, OSF
__________________
Fraternally,

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."


A Deacon's Deacon
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 1, '11, 1:36 am
Like's Avatar
Like Like is offline
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: June 28, 2005
Posts: 1,414
Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: Beards?

I'll let my wife read this, I've been trying for years to get her to shave off her beard!


NOT
__________________
Aloha!
Rich aka Like (Hawaiian lee - kay)

True Marian devotion never obscures or diminishes faith and love for Jesus Christ Our Savior, the one Mediator between God and humankind.
Pope Benedict XVI

Last edited by Like; May 1, '11 at 1:37 am. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 1, '11, 5:03 am
Te Deum Te Deum is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 4, 2011
Posts: 378
Religion: Catholic (Latin Church)
Default Re: Beards?

I'm working on my first beard right now. We'll see how it stands on June 1st .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8375Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: suko
5102CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4417Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3859SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3696Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3269Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3263Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3093For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SERVENT FOR GOD



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:00 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.