Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Is the Pope's Outreach to Disgruntled Anglicans a good thing?
Yes, the outreach, including the outreach to married clergy, is a good thing 61 92.42%
No, the Pope's outreach is problematic and may cause serious problems 5 7.58%
The Pope's gesture is inconsequential and of no importance 0 0%
Unsure or No Opinion 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 13, '09, 2:15 pm

Religion: Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society
Default Re: Papal Outreach to Disgruntled Anglicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by anode View Post
A possibility for many, many problems.

Disgruntled Latin rite celibate priests, already unhappy at the married Anglican priest-converts.

Elite Anglican Use parishes that not everyone can join. They can partake of the sacraments there but not join.

Converts to the RCC from the disaffected AC splinters, who aren't going to be happy as RCC's either, and who won't live near or otherwise have access to an Anglican Use parish. There are many, many differences between the average RCC parish and almost all Anglican parishes, which Anglican converts aren't going to be comfortable with--they will have to stay within their AU parishes.

The ECUSA and the AC will receive, over the years, some returnees from the splinters, which apparently are continuing to splinter or experience serious disagreements among themselves. The ECUSA and AC will form stronger bonds with the traditional Protestant churches, already in the works; I was amazed that the Lutheran Church in Sweden approved performing gay marriages by a wide margin. Women's ordination is becoming widespread in many denominations, and it is slowly being recognized that homosexuality, especially among men, probably has a biochemical/genetic foundation present at birth, and is not only pervasive in the clergy, but is also significantly represented among men in general, and that it is better for something to be overt than covert.

All of this will take time, but I think that the AC will eventually be strengthened by its open acknowledgment of what has been obvious to many for a long time.

The RCC in this country has been immeasurably weakened by Humanae Vitae and the pedophile crisis, and a virtually insurmountable priest shortage, a disaster in any organization run from the top down. People of my age remember the power of the old RCC, which bears no resemblance to its power now. One-third of cradle Catholics describe themselves as not active.(CARA) I personally do not know a single observant RC.
Wow, this is a very pessimistic view. There will not likely be a flood of Anglo-Catholics to the RCC. I imagine that, except perhaps in London and Oxford, they will not be much more of a bother to celibate RCC clergy than Pastoral Provision priets are. In many parts of the world, there will probably be too few, not too many. In the San Francisco area, I expect one or two Anglican Rite parishes. The queen of Anglo Catholic churches in San Francisco will not move, by individuals or en masse, to the Catholic church. And I doubt that any other churches in the Diocese of California (SF Bay Area) or in the Diocese of El Camino Real (Silicon Valley and south) are considering moving over. I also doubt that the few "continuum" churches will be moving. So probably, one or two priests will come over, and they will attract disgruntled parishoners and ultimately form their own parish, probably in an existing RC building.

I expect to see parishes in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and perhaps in the mid-west, perhaps in Chicago or St. Louis. Of course London and Oxford.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009